Chapter 3: Meetings

Boston 1920: Strange events at 20 Copp’s Hill Terrace have left minds ruined and families shattered. But how believable are such tales as strange figures and moving inanimate objects in our modern age? How readily should we disregard the influence of the otherworldly? After the recent real-life horrors of poison gas and industrialized slaughter, can we give credence to tales of odd visions and supernatural presences?

Investigating 20 Copp’s Hill will prove that we should not dismiss such tales too lightly...

Moderator: HoneyDog

HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Chapter 3: Meetings

Post by HoneyDog »

Boston 1920, November 22nd 11am

Parker's Restaurant, School Street
Boston_Parkers-Restaurant_2000x1333.jpg
Parker’s is an old and famous restaurant belonging the Parker Hotel. Popular among Boston’s elite and illustrious visitors, it is not cheap and is more likely to appeal to someone of Isadora’s class, rather than Norman’s. At 11am, it is busy with the mid-morning tea and brunch crowd, and the buzz of conversation and the bustle of the waiting staff makes for a convivial atmosphere.

Being gentlemen, Norman and Putnam have arrived early to await Isadora, and are sipping tea and chatting about their upcoming expedition. Putnam touches Norman’s arm and nods towards a woman who has just entered. He is a little nervous about this introduction, but he trusts Norman to be diplomatic.

“Here she is”.

Isadora’s ‘unconventional’ appearance causes few heads to turn. Norman sees a woman who appears slightly younger than himself, with a hairstyle and fashion very different from what he’s used to. He groans inwardly.

They both rise to greet her as a waiter leads her to their table.

Isadora! Lovely to see you. Please allow me to introduce my research associate, Norman Owens.”
Spoiler:
OOC:   Take it away fellows - get to know each other. Either of you can start.  
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Re: Chapter 3: Meetings

Post by Tabs »

"...on arrival in Northern Quebec, the expedition will steam from Fort Rupert to Chisasibi--" Norman Owens cut short his sentence to Putnam when Isadora arrived at their table. He stood, trying not to stare at her hair.

"Ms. Carmichael, please"--indicating a chair.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

Isadora's hair is indeed a vision: a fine artistic mess. She hates revealing clothes (that "flapper" style leaves her cold - literally), but her modest dress still attracts attention due to the unusual rich turquoise color and the elaborate symbols embroidered in gold over her heart and the right shoulder. Professor Putnam recognizes the design as one belonging to the prominent architect and fellow Theosophist Claude Bragdon. He might even recall a discussion of Bragdon's book, "A Primer of Higher Space: The Fourth Dimension".

Isadora is clearly in a much better state than on the exhibition. There are dark circles around her eyes, but the fogginess is gone from her gaze.

Before sitting down, she thrusts out her right hand towards Owens. Not for a kiss, but clearly for a shake.

"Nice to meet you, Mr. Owens."
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Norman took her hand but barely shook it. "Pleased to meet you, ma'am." He sat down too. To Isadora, fumbling slightly with the pot: "Tea?" and to Putnam: "More tea, sir?"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Putnam waves his hand. “I’m fine thank you Norman”.

He turns to Isadora. “It’s a pleasure to see you again, but I really must be getting along now. Norman has agreed to give you all the assistance you need in this err… endeavor.”

He stands up. In a rare fit of straightforward clarity, he addresses Isadora directly. “Norman is a troubled soul, but please be assured, you can trust him implicitly. Good day to you both”.

He turns and nods solemnly at Norman, drops some bills on the table, and leaves.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

"Yes, please," she says and slides her teacup closer to Norman. She's just about to turn to Putnam (the presence of a person she knows is comforting, and Isadora thought that he would stick around until Mr. Jordan arrives), but the professor abruptly jumps up and disappears, leaving only a couple of bills on the table and a rather weird remark hanging in the air. Isadora raises an eyebrow.

"Professor Putnam is a great scholar, but his manners... I don't even want to think about what he told you about my soul."

She waves over a waiter and orders a glass of Amontillado.

"Show me a soul that's not troubled... I feel it is the standard mode of existence," she says, almost as a side note.

"But I hope Professor Putnam also told you about the nature of our 'endeavor'? I don't know any details yet, but the Mr. Jordan who hired us suspects his house is haunted."
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"Brandy, waiter," asked Norman. "I suspect that this is not a conversation for tea. As for 'troubled soul,' I really have no idea what the Professor meant." He wondered about Isadora's soul, surveyed her dress and its symbols, and decided he was way out of his depth. "All I know is that unexplainable things happen at this house of Mr. Jordan's and that we are to look into the mystery."
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

"Yes, you are right, we have to keep an open mind," Isadora says, sipping at her sherry.

She doesn't feel as intimidated by Norman as the Professor feared, but she tries to seem as practical as possible:

"I think we will have to stay at the house for a night and a day at least. And keep notes. But you are a scientist, aren't you? So I don't really need to stress the importance of notes. Can you bring some compasses, magnifying glasses? Various tools for measurements. Thermometer, and that one for pressure, and for humidity..."

"I will bring along a camera."

Before this meeting, Isadora asked her husband about Professor Putnam's research, but she still doesn't know much about Norman.

"Were you on Professor Putnam's previous expedition as well? Or will this be your first time with him?"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

The attentive waiter clears his throat.

"I'm sorry, Madam and Sir, but Parker's does not sell alcohol. It is illegal" he says, a trifle coldly.

"Perhaps more tea is in order".

He strides away.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"Of course not," said Norman. To Isadora: "Look how unsettled we two are?

"Yes, I'll bring along the scientific paraphernalia you suggest--a barometer is the instrument you require?" he ventured. Whispering: "I'm sorry to sound like a prude but do you intend to stay overnight unaccompanied? What would your husband say?"
OOC:   Has Norman traveled with Putnam before?  
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

OOC,[ooc]I meant Putnam's previous (as in last) expedition -- I sort of wanted to get Norman talking about maybe that he was in Finland at that time ;) But,of course, he may not be so open about to talk about past experiences.[/ooc]
Isadora Carmichael

"I won't be unaccompanied - you will be there. If you don't trust yourself, you can talk to my husband, he will be happy to assure you that it is fine."

"I suspect you don't get many women in your Northern expeditions."
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Norman swallowed. He thought to himself: "And what about my reputation?" but answered: "Only Inuit women. Shamanism is their religion, like your own, I presume?"
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora Carmichael

"Inuit shamans? Wonderful topic, I would love to learn more about their beliefs. Maybe you can read a lecture about them for our Society. I think I might find that I share some beliefs about the nature of the human soul with them..."

She sips her tea, which now, after the sherry-denial, tastes awfully bland. But she needs some liquid before she launches into her monologue:

"But as for me, no, I don't have a religion. I have many beliefs, and many questions. I don't know how much do you know about the Theosophical Movement -- I guess you are aware that Professor Putnam is a member too? For me, personally, the Society is a group of like-minded people, who share knowledge. There are people among us who are more dogmatic. Maybe you can even say that Theosophy is their religion. Lady Blavatsky has a word for it, Wisdom-Religion. "
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"A lecture? Yes, I'd be pleased to do it."

"I only know a little about Theosophy, and that Prof. Putnam is an enthusiastic convert to 'Wisdom-religion.' I'm all for knowledge, whatever form it comes in. But my experience tells me that there is always something new round the corner, some new ideas... I could never tie myself down with labels. Like yourself I suppose, Ms. Carmichael?" Norman found her interesting albeit decidedly odd.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

"I like to have my name," Isadora says, in a serious tone. "But other than that, no, no labels. People say I'm an artist, a painter, that's a label I have and sometimes call myself that as well, but I would paint even if nobody called me that."

She looks at a small elegant silver wristwatch.

"I think it's time to go to Mr. Jordan's office. We can continue our discussion in the cab."
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Norman immediately stood up. "Ms. Carmichael, may I call us a cab?"
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

"Yes, please," Isadora says, while taking out a banknote from her purse and adding it to the pile Professor Putnam left behind.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Everyday Life of Boston,  1920s (9).jpg
Outside the restaurant the rain of the last few days has finally stopped, but the sky is overcast and the chill of approaching winter is in the air. It’s another busy day in Boston, with crowds hurrying to and fro and the street busy with motorized and horse-drawn traffic, but Isadora and Norman have no trouble in hailing a cab for the short journey to Jordan’s office in nearby Franklin Street, just past Norman B Leventhal Park.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Norman held open thr cab's door for Isadora, and gave instructions to its driver.

"Your dress, the way you look," he continued their conversation, "surely they are an expression of your beliefs, for everyone to see? It's--forgive me--like showing off. Even if one doesn't understand?" He confessed: "I don't understand, I suspect my thoughts are looping round on themselves. See, Ms. Carmichael, you've befuddled me, confound it!"
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora settles comfortably into the cab then contemplates Norman's words for a minute.

"There are two sides here. You may say I'm 'showing off'. I'm well off, my husband is rich, and my own paintings sometimes fetch substantial prices in art galleries. I know people think me an eccentric -- but this is relative. I spent some years in Paris, and I can say that my dress wouldn't attract much attention in the Quartier Latin."

And in a way I'm 'showing off' my beliefs... As an Inuit shaman is showing them off when wearing a ritual mask or brandishing a carved staff."

She points at the embroidered designs on her dress.

"These patterns are not just 'beautiful'. They are powerful. They protect me, protect my soul from malign influence. It's not really for other to understand... it's for me to be safe."

Return to “The Haunting”