Chapter 5: Investigations

Boston 1920: Strange events at 20 Copp’s Hill Terrace have left minds ruined and families shattered. But how believable are such tales as strange figures and moving inanimate objects in our modern age? How readily should we disregard the influence of the otherworldly? After the recent real-life horrors of poison gas and industrialized slaughter, can we give credence to tales of odd visions and supernatural presences?

Investigating 20 Copp’s Hill will prove that we should not dismiss such tales too lightly...

Moderator: HoneyDog

Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 5 months

Re: Chapter 5: Investigations

Post by Tabs »

In the elevator: "'Interview' is a step too far, I'm just trying out all the avenues that I can think of. You think it is a bad idea, Mrs. Michaels?"

In reception, on the telephone to the sanatorium: "Good morning, I'd like to talk to someone about one of your patients."
OOC:   He'll include Isadora in the conversation; e_s, feel free to speak for Owens.  
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by HoneyDog »

"I'll fetch the duty Doctor" comes a voice on the line. "Please hold."

After about five minutes the phone is picked up again. "This is Doctor Devine. Which patient are you inquiring about"?
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"Vittorio Macario and his wife, Gabriella, I'm Mr. Owens, a family friend. How are they? and could I visit?"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

"Mr. Macario isn't really capable of receiving visitors. It's possible to see him but he's not able to communicate coherently" says the doctor.

"I can ask Mrs. Macario if she feels like receiving visitors Mr. Owens. It might help her to talk with a friend. Do you have a number I can call you back on? In about an hour?"
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Owens gave the number of his landlady, explaining that a message can be left.

To Isadora: "Where next?"
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Post by evil_scientist »

"I hope Mrs. Macario won't object to our small lie and talk to us," says Isadora.

"Let's go to the library next. We probably won't have such a helpful person as Mrs. Michaels there. I can find my way around a catalog, but don't really know how to go deeper into research."
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"Maybe she will--object, I mean. We'll have to play it by ear. Right, to the library."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Boston_Public_Library_courtyard2.jpg
Boston_Public_Library_courtyard2.jpg (21.4 KiB) Viewed 416 times
It is another taxi ride to the McKim building, the main home of Boston’s public library service. It is a large and busy building, and a little forbidding, leaving the heroes to wonder at the enormity of their search.

After asking at the main enquiry desk, they are directed to the archives for newspaper articles, which includes the Boston Globe. Entering a dim, musty room, empty apart from a scholarly looking gentleman seated at a reading desk who ignores their presence as he peruses a pile of clippings, they are at a loss where to start, but are determined to press on. They regard the rows of filing cabinets silently.
OOC:   What will you search for?  
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"Excuse me, sir," he said to the scholarly gentleman, "would you be willing to help us find the information we need?"
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

"Afterwards I will go up to the Main Library as well, maybe they have books on the history of the area the Corbitt house is." she says to Norman, before they enter the newspapers department.

While Norman attempts to get the attention of the gentleman, Isadora walks over to the newspaper catalog and tries to understand its structure. Are there any indexes for addresses or Boston localities? Do they store thematic collections of clippings, maybe?
OOC:   Roll for Library Use 33%
[dice]0[/dice]  
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OCC,That's close enough Evil, I'll give you a success. But first please both of you answer the man's question.
The man glances up at Norman briefly. "That depends. What information are you searching for?"
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

OOC:   Do we know who he is? Is he just a library patron or somebody who's employed by the library? Are there any employees around?  
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC:   He's just someone doing some research. Think about what the newspaper articles that you're looking for might be listed under.  
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

"We are researching the history of a house in one of the Boston areas," says Isadora and names the locality. She thinks that there might be information relating to the house in a broader "history of Boston" context.

"And also about the owners of this house, their family, whether they played any important role in the city."

Isadora would like to see if there are articles listed for the "Corbitt" family, for example.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

"Which area of Boston is it?" says the man. "Do you know the street"?
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Spoiler:
OOC
OOC:   Sorry, I was too lazy to look up the address in the other topic, so just used the generic "Isadora names the locality"!  
evil_scientist wrote:"We are researching the history of a house in one of the Boston areas," says Isadora and names the locality.
"Yes, it's 20 Copp’s Hill Terrace," discloses Isadora.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

OOC,No problem! I'll post some juicy information later when I get to work. Providing I'm not too busy of course ;)
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

"Well, I suggest you look under the person's name, and also Copp's Hill". He goes back to his cuttings but then raises his head again. "Actually, I believe that street used to be known as Sheafe Street". He looks down again.

Isadora decides to look at that name first. After about 20 minutes, she exclaims "Success!"

Norman looks over her shoulder as they both read the article.
library 1.png
OOC,You will need to make further library use rolls to get more. Norman, as a former candidate for post-graduate study at Harvard, can have a +10 bonus to his library rolls.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"Oh, well done!"

Spot Hidden 35% [dice]0[/dice]

"I cannot find my way around these documents," said Owens. "Ms. Carmichael, any more luck?"
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora once again delves into the depths of the catalog system...

Library Use 33%
[dice]0[/dice]

Return to “The Haunting”