Page 1 of 1

OOC Chat

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:17 pm
by HoneyDog
Hi!

Welcome to 'The Haunting'. I'm going to send the first post tonight. I'll concentrate on setting the scene first for your character Evil Scientist, and then bring in Tabs. I want to try to give you an opportunity to flesh out your characters and their motives before the horror begins.

The time span of the mystery will be 3 or 4 days so it shouldn't be too long to complete the game, but of course there is no great rush to post. I'll make another thread where you can post your characters for easy reference. I'm using the orokos.com dice rolling site for your reference.

Can't think of much more at the moment. Thanks for joining! I'm still getting used to this whole format so please bear with me, and don't be shy about offering your thoughts or suggestions.

Re: OOC Chat

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:02 pm
by Tabs
Can I read Isadora's thread?

The dice roller on this site is super, type 1d100, highlight, and click the "dice" button above.

[dice]1d100[/dice]

Hmmm. Okay, not so super. I guess the dice roller needs to be activated for this game.

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:12 pm
by HoneyDog
Sure you can Tabs, there's nothing secret. Once that's done I'll introduce Norman.

Try the Orokos - works fine.

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:01 pm
by evil_scientist
[dice]1d100[/dice]

Just testing...

Edit: doesn't seem to be working.

Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:40 am
by HoneyDog
Okay fellows, I've asked Mr. Handy to activate the in-game dice roller, so I'll let you know when it's functioning.

Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:44 pm
by evil_scientist
In the meantime: some Theosophic ghost stories by Helena Blavatsky: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/44559/44 ... 4559-h.htm

Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:28 pm
by HoneyDog
I'll take a look Evil - I want to know more about where you're coming from with your character.

Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:22 pm
by evil_scientist
It's not essential reading (they are a bit slow), but might be interesting. "Project Gutenberg" has more books by Blavatsky, with her essays and stuff.

Today I'm at home, so I'm able to post several times. During weekdays I can keep to a one post / day routine!

Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:39 pm
by HoneyDog
Okay, I can probably post every day as I have a very long commute to work. I'm up way past my bedtime now though!

Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:11 pm
by Tabs
I read From the Polar Lands, and I must report: it was rubbish! :D Coincidentally the story was of a tale told in a castle in Finland about Arctic exploration, Spitsbergen and other places.

Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:56 pm
by HoneyDog
Why was it rubbish Tabs? Badly written?

By the way, sorry about my bizarre use of colour on the thread. The controls do my head in.

Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:24 pm
by Tabs
No, I liked the writing--did e_s say it was dry? well, that probably suits me! It was the plot, the ending I mean. No surprise or unusual stuff, which is what I like.

I'm always keen to tryout new ideas, new to me anyway.

Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:58 pm
by evil_scientist
Tabs wrote:No, I liked the writing--did e_s say it was dry? well, that probably suits me! It was the plot, the ending I mean. No surprise or unusual stuff, which is what I like.
I agree, it's more of a curiosity, that these stories exist, and were circulated by the Theosophical Society on par with books describing their belief system.

I am reading the "Handbook of the Theosophical Current", a recent (2013) volume of scholarship on the the Society, its influence, and various other aspects of its activity. It has an essay on "Theosophy and Popular Fiction", about short stories and novels written by members or heavily influenced by the movement: "Theosophists explored the occult dimension in different ways, popular fiction being one of them." Three prominent leaders (Blavatsky, Leadbeater, Judge) wrote "ghost stories".
Most of Blavatsky’s stories are about psychic phenomena,
karma, reincarnation, and mysteries. For an uninformed reader, these
stories read more like ordinary ghost stories, but her editors remind the
reader “that each of her stories illustrated ‘some one phase of that misconceived
but important science, Psychology’”
Algernon Blackwood was secretary of the Toronto Theosophical Society. Dion Fortune, the author I'm quoting in my signature, was only a short-time member, but incorporated Theosophical motives in her belief system and works.

I have to admit that reading the analysis of Blavatsky's ghost stories is much more interesting, than the stories themselves ;) :oops:

HoneyDog wrote:By the way, sorry about my bizarre use of colour on the thread. The controls do my head in.
I quote my previous post each time to get the same color :lol: #0000BF!

Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:51 pm
by Tabs
I'm a devotee of Blackwood. Dr. Taverner must have been inspired by Blackwood's John Silence, the psychic doctor (1908)--a literary success at the time.

https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/100542926

Nemesis of Fire and Camp of the Dog are superb novellas.

Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:36 pm
by evil_scientist
Yes! John Silence and Carnacki were very influential.

The Dr. Taverner stories are structured very much like those two. And the figure itself was also inspired by the spiritual mentor of Fortune, Theodore Moriarty: http://garethknight.blogspot.com/2006/1 ... sonic.html
Tabs wrote:Nemesis of Fire and Camp of the Dog are superb novellas.
Thanks for the recommendations, I will check them out! I have only read the John Silence stories and "The Willows".

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:41 am
by Mr. Handy
I'm sorry, I completely forgot I needed to activate the dice roller when I set up the forum just before I left. I've activated it now.

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:49 am
by HoneyDog
Cheers Mr. H!

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:02 am
by HoneyDog
Guys, the Isadora introductions are over - she is up for the investigation, so now it is time to introduce Norman, so I will start the next Chapter very soon. Soon we will get into the thick of the mystery. Thanks for being patient Tabs.

I'm interested to see what Isadora will make of the coming events!

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:30 am
by Tabs
No problem. :) I've enjoyed what you two have written. I'm eager to join in!

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:56 am
by evil_scientist
HoneyDog, can I make some changes to my character sheet? I forgot to spend points on a second language for Isadora (although it would make sense for her to know French, as she studied in Paris, and it was probably her main language for communication in Switzerland). I think I can re-distribute some points from other skills.

Right now her "Other language" is Finnish :mrgreen: I must have left it in when I copied the template of Norman.

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:30 pm
by HoneyDog
Hi Evil - sure you can! Yes, Finnish would be an unusual language for her. Great ending to the thread, we can close that one now. When she's ready she'll be meeting Norman.

It's all yours Tabs - please continue the phone call with the learned prof.

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:29 pm
by evil_scientist
Thanks, I re-distributed some Personal skill points (-3 Sneak, -2 Hide, -8 Craft) and put them in French!

Somnifen, the barbiturate Isadora and George use, is the one that was utilized in Klaesi's experiments. I read up a bit on Klaesi's sleep therapy, if you are interested, this article has a short overview of his methods in relation to pharmaceuticals: "The history of barbiturates a century after their clinical introduction"

And also the abstract of another article, "Sleep as a cure for schizophrenia: a historical episode":
In the early 1920s, the Swiss psychiatrist J. Kläsi, working under the directorship of E. Bleuler at Burghölzli, the Psychiatric Clinic of the University of Zürich, proposed the treatment of schizophrenia by prolonged sleep therapy induced by the hypnotic Somnifen. Judging from contemporary literature, Kläsi's proposal, which was based upon clinical experience, was accepted by many European psychiatrists, especially those in German-speaking countries. Despite some doubts as to the effectiveness of the therapy and the relatively high mortality rate associated with its use, Somnifen and other related sleep-inducing compounds, were consistently advocated by Burghölzli psychiatrists for at least a decade. It is proposed that the insistence on the use of sleep inducing compounds in the therapy of mental disorders was based on the desperation of psychiatrists lacking effective treatment of schizophrenia. The use of prolonged sleep therapy waned in the mid-1930s with the emergence of other therapies, primarily with insulin and cardiazol.
The way deep sleep therapy worked is that they put the patient to sleep using various chemicals, then woke her up for some time (for feeding and other biological needs), then back to narcosis/sleep again. These sessions were repeated for days. I don't know how long did the waking phases last, but I guess with all these various meds the patient was probably half-asleep even when awoke...

In real-life, Somnifen is also a quite dangerous drug, with many lethal side effects!

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:40 pm
by HoneyDog
It sounds pretty barbaric from a contemporary viewpoint. So Isadora's mental state could actually be exacerbated by the drug? Is she suffering from a mental disorder?

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:38 pm
by evil_scientist
HoneyDog wrote:It sounds pretty barbaric from a contemporary viewpoint. So Isadora's mental state could actually be exacerbated by the drug? Is she suffering from a mental disorder?
Yes, I agree!

The problem with Somnifen, from what I gathered, was that it had many physical side effects: heart and circulatory problems, stuff like that. It could battle or subdue certain symptoms of mental illnesses (it had a tranquilizing effect), and possibly facilitate cure.

In Isadora's case: I don't want her to have a mental disorder from the very start. At some point of her life (as it was described in the backstory) she had a serious breakdown, and she displays personality traits that can be associated with mental disorder (she has phases when she is immersed only in her own thoughts, for example), but overall she is capable of taking care of herself, she is capable of social interaction. We will have to see how she will cope under stress.

Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:14 am
by HoneyDog
Yes, there should be plenty of stress coming, enough to test both of them. Norman also has trauma from his past which may come to the surface as events progress.

Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:37 am
by Tabs
I don't like the sound of that, :)

Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:44 pm
by HoneyDog
Okay, now it's time to introduce Isadora and Norman and get them working on the mystery. Please don't forget that they have never met before! I'll try and get the new thread running tomorrow.

Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:54 am
by HoneyDog
The new thread is open! Now you can get to know each other over a lovely cup of tea before you meet Mr. Jordan.

Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:12 am
by HoneyDog
By the way, Isadora has the address for Mr. Jordan's office. He's expecting you sometime in the early afternoon.

Does anyone know how to make that nice spoiler button with the text or character's name on it? Then I can add messages like this in-game.

Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:10 am
by Tabs
Keeper,You solve the mystery!
Keeper,You solve the mystery!

Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:04 am
by HoneyDog
I already tried Tabs! I suppose we can always investigate a new mystery...
Spoiler:
Suddenly Professor Putnam leaps to his feet, an expression of almost alien hatred on his face.

Shub-Niggurath! Black goat of the woods with a thousand young!” His scream silences the customers as he grabs a teaspoon and thrusts it into Norman’s eye, deep into his brain.

“Oh, what a shame!” thinks Isadora, sipping her tea as blood splatters her turquoise dress. “He seemed like a pleasant chap.”

Turning, she calls to the waiter. “Waiter, do you have any barbiturates for this tea?”

Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:07 pm
by evil_scientist
I actually laughed out loud :lol: :lol:

Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:06 pm
by Tabs
:)

Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:15 pm
by evil_scientist
By the way, I changed the color of Isadora's dress from black to turquoise in my post :mrgreen: :D

Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:51 am
by HoneyDog
Isadora feels like a turquoise person.

Jordan won't be coming - you'll need to go to his office. Willeford has given Isadora the details so leave when you feel ready.

I think Putnam was suddenly overcome...

Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:35 am
by Mr. Handy
I once posted instructions for how to use spoiler buttons here.

The Volstead Act was in effect in 1920, so I'd be surprised if Parker's was openly serving alcohol. Of course, Norman has been in Finland lately, so he might not have known that, and Isadora seems to spend much of her life asleep.

Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:15 am
by HoneyDog
Thanks Mr. H! I can do it now. There won't be any spoons in Holly Chastain's eye.

You're right about the booze - I fixed it on the thread.

Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:41 am
by evil_scientist
Mr. Handy wrote:The Volstead Act was in effect in 1920, so I'd be surprised if Parker's was openly serving alcohol. Of course, Norman has been in Finland lately, so he might not have known that, and Isadora seems to spend much of her life asleep.
Ouch, totally forgot about the Prohibition...

Well, let's hope Mr. Jordan keeps a cask of Amontillado at his office.

Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:18 am
by Tabs
HoneyDog wrote:There won't be any spoons in Holly Chastain's eye.
Never heard of this reference? Explain it to me. :)

Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:44 pm
by HoneyDog
Holly is Mr.Handy's character in 'Eternal Lies'.

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:06 pm
by HoneyDog
Feel free to arrive at the office whenever you're ready guys.

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:30 pm
by evil_scientist
I have to say, there are advantages to having only two players! I enjoy having time to engage in conversations.

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:02 pm
by Tabs
I agree. Actually I'm torn between progressing the story or having a long imaginary conversation. Are you itching to move on, HoneyDog?

Edit: I bet you are. :)

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:03 pm
by evil_scientist
Well, this part of the imaginary conversation can't go on for very long, because we know Jordan's office is not far from the restaurant we met at. So for "reality's" sake, I think we can arrive soon. ;)

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:25 pm
by HoneyDog
You're obviously enjoying yourselves so I don't want to rush you. I've never been to Boston, in fact I've never been to Lincolnshire, but it is only a short cab ride as far as I can see from the map. There will be time later too for intimate chats I'm sure.

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:49 am
by Tabs
You meant Boston, Massachusetts?

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:29 am
by evil_scientist
Let's have a chat with Mr. Jordan as well, I want to tlearn more about The Haunting! ;)

Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:21 pm
by HoneyDog
Hooray!

I'm sorry though I'm away from home and having to use an IPad, something surely designed by Satan himself, so my posts will be pretty basic. I had some nice pictures for Jordan's office too (sniff).

Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:56 pm
by evil_scientist
Sorry, I'm very exhausted, cannot write concisely today. I'll post tomorrow!

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:48 pm
by Tabs
OOC:   OOC: I didn't see your post Tabs - maybe they just need to finish up with Jordan first?  

No probs. :)

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:09 am
by HoneyDog
It will probably take you 20 - 30 minutes to get to Copp's Hill in the North End from Downtown, so you an arrive there about 1 pm if you go there directly.

I'll open up a new thread later for when you arrive at the house.

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:12 am
by Tabs
A Psycho-esque house. Did you Google for it or is it in the scenario?

BTW my Antarctic book came yesterday. I've only read Chapter 1 but it mentions Lovecraft often. Apparently their search for fossils started at the same latitude and longitude as the expedition in At the MoMadness, and in the evening they would read from the book aloud. How cool is that?

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:28 pm
by HoneyDog
I got it from Yog-Sothoth.com, the have quite a lot of resources.

Did they find any groovy fossils?

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:47 pm
by evil_scientist
Tabs wrote:A Psycho-esque house. Did you Google for it or is it in the scenario?

BTW my Antarctic book came yesterday. I've only read Chapter 1 but it mentions Lovecraft often. Apparently their search for fossils started at the same latitude and longitude as the expedition in At the MoMadness, and in the evening they would read from the book aloud. How cool is that?
Awesome :D

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:01 am
by evil_scientist
Weird! I've just noticed that I post in present tense, while Tabs uses past for Norman!

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:06 am
by HoneyDog
A premonition of Norman's demise, perhaps...

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:54 am
by Tabs
Did they find any groovy fossils?
I noted that one paleontologist discovered Giant Penguins.
Weird! I've just noticed that I post in present tense, while Tabs uses past for Norman!
I used to write in present tense. But I'm always trying to improve my grammar by aping the books I read, and 99% of those use past tense, hence why.

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:28 pm
by HoneyDog
Giant penguins would make a great CoC monster. Let's incorporate one into this game.
Spoiler:
Norman wrenches open the window and climbs into the room. He can make out a large, dim shape in the half-light. It seems to be waddling toward him.

“My God” comes the voice of Isadora behind him. “It looks like a p…p…” Suddenly she screams in terror.

Norman turns back towards the shape, his eyes wide in horror. The penguin opens its ravening beak and with a fearsome squawk, plunges it into Norman’s eye, deep into his brain. The blood splatters Isadora’s exquisite turquoise dress, and she faints to the floor. No amount of barbiturates will save her now.

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:51 pm
by Tabs
So, Norman requires some kind of eye protection?

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:54 pm
by HoneyDog
"The eyes are the windows to the soul", as Isadora would probably say.

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:18 pm
by evil_scientist
"The eyes are also the place you have to target if you want to stick a fork into someone's brain", adds Professor Putnam.

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:36 pm
by HoneyDog
By the way fellows, I've been reading "Best Ghost Stories of Algernon Blackwood". He's great! I can see where Lovecraft got some of his inspiration from. I particularly liked 'The Willows' and 'The Wendigo'.

"Oh, Oh! My feet of fire!"

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:35 pm
by Tabs
The Wenigo is a classic. I love the part where Defago's naked feet are stuck outside the tent--is there a monster?--and he began to cry. HoneyDog, there are so many good ones, he wrote a lot, but beware, some are tough reading.

Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:47 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora steps inside the house and instantly notices that the wallpapers weren't designed by a hip Theosophist artist.

"There is an evil presence here," she cries out and runs to the phone booth to call her interior designer.
"We need lots of turquoise to exorcise this foul spirit!!" ;)

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:27 am
by HoneyDog
Spoiler:
The Theosophist interior designer arrives in a turquoise automobile. She is clad from head to toe in turquoise. Without saying a word, she takes her turquoise designing pencil and jams it into Norman’s eye, deep into his brain.

“Oh dear” thinks Isadora, as blood spatters her exquisite turquoise dress. “Perhaps turquoise isn’t such a good colour after all”.

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:11 am
by evil_scientist
Had a busy weekend! I'll post tomorrow!

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:50 pm
by evil_scientist
I will be travelling the next two weeks!

I will have internet access from time to time, so I think I can probably post every other day?

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:21 am
by HoneyDog
Fine! Have a good time on your travels. Hope you're going somewhere nice.

I think soon we'll begin to unravel the awful truth behind the haunting...

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:25 am
by evil_scientist
What do you get if you critically fail a "Library Use" roll? Do you topple a shelf? :mrgreen:

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:42 am
by HoneyDog
You slam your fingers in the filing cabinet - take 2 hit points damage.

Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:36 am
by evil_scientist
Sorry for the delay! I will post tonight!

Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:53 am
by Tabs
No problem. :)

Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:30 pm
by evil_scientist
Happy New Year, folks! ;)

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:41 am
by HoneyDog
Yes! Happy New Year! Happy Hauntings!

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:55 pm
by evil_scientist
I'm still travelling, and until 7 January I have limited internet access (although I'll try to write some posts!). After that - back to my usual daily posting schedule! ;)

Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:23 am
by evil_scientist

My favorite part about this photo is the little hourglass!!

Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:10 am
by Tabs
I hadn't even noticed.

Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:26 am
by HoneyDog
All the clippings and reports have been found now, so you can decide how to proceed according to the evidence you've collected.

Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:08 pm
by evil_scientist
I propose we don't play out the visit to the University and the Prof. in-game, unless Norman has something special to do there. Tabs?

Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:12 pm
by Tabs
Agreed. But let's find the church; I've got a feeling that there may be something...

Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:19 pm
by HoneyDog
Okay then! I`ll start a new thread from tomorrow morning game time - in reality after I've put the washing away. You can meet in front of the 'house' and then take it from there.

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:19 pm
by evil_scientist
Tabs wrote:Owens knew that something he didn't like or understand was there at the church.

"Why don't I buy turpentine and a scrubbing brush? Have you a 'good' symbol we could paint instead?"
Oh man, we are so getting in trouble :lol: I love this!

Occult street gangs and symbolic graffiti wars!

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:35 pm
by HoneyDog
You won't love it when they make a handbag out of your face. Or something.

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:50 pm
by evil_scientist
As long as it's according to the latest Parisian fashion...

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:08 pm
by HoneyDog
Do you want to play the shop or shall I move the action back to the Chapel? "Going to the cha-apel, gonna get ma-arried"...

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:01 pm
by Tabs
Isadora is no bigamist. :) Sure, let's get scrubbing.

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:47 pm
by evil_scientist
Yeah, let's move back to the Chapel!

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:53 pm
by evil_scientist
Just want to re-iterate, that Isadora wants to take another route back to the Chapel - not much, just avoid the street Dooley's news stand is on. I presume it's simple to just take a parallel street?

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:09 pm
by HoneyDog
Sure, it will be a little longer but it`s possible. I will write the new post a little later this morning.

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:32 pm
by HoneyDog
With the symbol painted, would you like to hang around some more, or would you like me to return the action to the house?

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:58 pm
by evil_scientist
Let's shift the focus back to the house. Tabs?

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:31 pm
by Tabs
House. :)

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:28 am
by evil_scientist
This house has way too much "dingy corridors" to be the "top value property" Jordan calls it :mrgreen:

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:37 am
by HoneyDog
It just needs a touch of turquoise, which also happens to be the official color of the Chapel of Contemplation

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:30 pm
by HoneyDog
Poor Norman! That was a nasty spill. Perhaps he'll want to give adventuring a rest until he recovers? Have a think about what your next move will be.

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:58 pm
by evil_scientist
We need to get Norman to a hospital, that's for sure...

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:10 pm
by HoneyDog
All done! Now you both need to have a serious chat.

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:38 pm
by HoneyDog
Shall I open another thread for your next meeting? I imagine that George Auden and Harry Jordan might be a little concerned by this turn of events. Will Isadora be allowed to continue? WIll Norman be able to visit the James Bay Cree? Will the horror that lurks in the Corbitt House continue to go on maiming and destroying lives? Will the Chapel of Contemplation arise yet again? Will turquoise become the latest fad in Boston?

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:09 pm
by evil_scientist
HoneyDog wrote:Shall I open another thread for your next meeting? I imagine that George Auden and Harry Jordan might be a little concerned by this turn of events. Will Isadora be allowed to continue? WIll Norman be able to visit the James Bay Cree? Will the horror that lurks in the Corbitt House continue to go on maiming and destroying lives? Will the Chapel of Contemplation arise yet again? Will turquoise become the latest fad in Boston?
Yes.
Yes.
Who knows?
If he gets funding.
Possibly.
Save us all!
Definitely.

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:05 am
by HoneyDog
Okay I've begun a new thread, set in the hospital. Jordan should show up later at some point.

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:50 pm
by evil_scientist
Cool! I'll answer later today. I'm busy now, and also I don't want Isadora to enter at the moment when Norman needs company to go to the loo ;)

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:45 pm
by evil_scientist
Oh yes, I forgot that we already sprang the news about the Chapel and Corbitt to Jordan to gain his support in the legal archives... We'll have to downplay that now a bit

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:58 pm
by HoneyDog
I'm keeping quiet - we'll have to see how this proceeds...

Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:57 pm
by evil_scientist
Swamped with IRL stuff, will post later today or tomorrow! ;)

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:51 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora just cannot construct elaborate lies... so she decided to break the pact of silence!

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:46 pm
by HoneyDog
But what will happen next? Can you continue? Will you need help? What could be the consequences of your actions?

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:19 pm
by evil_scientist

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:23 pm
by HoneyDog
That made me laugh. As I recall, a character went through the window in that story too...

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:56 am
by HoneyDog
So we've reached a point where decisions have to be made! Jordan states that he will leave the house empty due what lays within. Are you both comfortable with that? It's a conclusion, of a sort.

If you take further action you cannot rely on his support, and you might also want additional help. Will you confront the horrors of the house, or do you wish to preserve your minds and bodies from further violence and insanity?

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:57 am
by evil_scientist
At this point, I imagine Isadora and Norman "laying low" for some time, Norman healing up, Isadora doing research... then taking some sort of action? Vigilante style?

By the way, can we roll for skill increase?
Isadora is eligible for First Aid, Credit Rating and Library Use.

Edit: (it's quite easy to see what skills you rolled for during the game by searching The Haunting topics for posts containing "1d100" by you)

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:58 pm
by Tabs
I think that we ought to destroy it somehow... a lot of dynamite springs to mind.

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:49 pm
by HoneyDog
Let's deal with both of your posts!

Dynamite solves many problems, but it creates others.

Both characters are definitely eligible for skills upgrades. But upgrades will only apply if some time has passed between the present events and what they decide to do next.

Isadora will get a guaranteed increase in First Aid - Norman would probably be in a coma if not for her. I think Credit Rating should be higher anyway. I would also think that due to your research and educational backgrounds a Library roll would be fair.

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:14 pm
by evil_scientist
HoneyDog wrote:Dynamite solves many problems, but it creates others.
I really like the idea of Norman doing the criminal deed alone the night before he leaves for the expedition. An act of hardboiled film noir heroism! :D It makes for a good narrative and a great role-playing opportunity.

We will have to plan it, though, lots of preparation needed. And Isadora is not sure the physical destruction would be enough to deal with the supernatural evil. So she will want to enact some sort an exorcism as well.

By the way, did Jordan take back the keys?

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:18 pm
by HoneyDog
No you guys still have the keys I think. Jordan is too shaken up to worry about that stuff.

Please do think about the consequences of arson though. I believe that the police generally frown upon such actions, however heroic. :|

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:21 pm
by evil_scientist
Yes, that's why we want only Norman to take provable part in the arson/dynamiting, then skipping to the far North and basically never returning. Isadora will play innocent.

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:25 pm
by HoneyDog
Does Norman want to spend the rest of his days catching fish in James Bay? He has a lot to sacrifice. And how do you know that burning down the house is the definitive answer to The Haunting? Yes, it worked for Talking Heads, but...

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:27 pm
by evil_scientist
HoneyDog wrote:Does Norman want to spend the rest of his days catching fish in James Bay?
Or go back to Finland and hide out in a log cabin, etc...
HoneyDog wrote:And how do you know that burning down the house is the definitive answer to The Haunting?
We don't! That's why Isadora wants to do more research.

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:32 pm
by HoneyDog
Does that mean you want to return to the house? Ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! And so on.

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:39 pm
by evil_scientist
...maybe? ;)

But let's stick to theoretical necromancy and library research for some time now :lol:

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:43 pm
by HoneyDog
Okay then. You'd better negotiate with the Tabster. Does he want to be exiled to Canada?

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:59 pm
by HoneyDog
This mystery is far more tricky than I thought it would be. Who knew that decisions might have unintended consequences? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:01 pm
by evil_scientist
HoneyDog wrote:Okay then. You'd better negotiate with the Tabster. Does he want to be exiled to Canada?
Well, it was his idea in the first place :)

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:06 am
by Tabs
Yeah, burn it down before Owens goes off to Canada; Isadora to have nothing to do with it, but to keep in touch with Owens and notify him of any police attention.

I'd like to call it a day, at least for a few weeks. If we role-play the burning, send me a PM to say we're doing so.

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:21 am
by evil_scientist
Thanks for the game so far, Tabs & HoneyDog! I enjoyed it! I'd like to pick it up and finish it at some point.

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:28 am
by Tabs
It's been a good one. :)

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:29 am
by HoneyDog
Okay guys. Tabs, if you'd like to finish here, then we could do the fire as you suggested - Norman will be in Canada and out of the picture, and I can finish the story with Isadora dealing with the aftermath. I think there might be serious consequences for setting fires though!

Thanks for playing guys, I've enjoyed it very much.

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:56 am
by evil_scientist
HoneyDog, I would be interested in doing some episodes about Isadora's occult researches? Visits to sketchy occult bookshops, meetings with fellow Theosophists who dabble in magic, etc.?

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:05 am
by HoneyDog
That would be before Norman burns the house? I'm not sure that it would lead Isadora to anything concrete. That's the only way to really solve this mystery - getting to grips with what resides there. If Isadora would like to lead another expedition, she's going to need help, but then we would have to recruit more players. You could use magic to deal with the problem, but if the house burns down, well...

I would like to try another adventure soon - you'd be welcome to bring Isadora in for that. Norman too if he stays out of prison.

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:15 am
by evil_scientist
Okay, then let's just deal with the aftermath of the arson.
HoneyDog wrote:I would like to try another adventure soon - you'd be welcome to bring Isadora in for that.
Cool, I like her as a character!

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:44 pm
by HoneyDog
Yes, she is a good character.

Let's bring this to a finish then. I'll bring the action forward then to just after the Corbitt House has been burnt down. Norman is obviously responsible for that deed, and now is on his way to James Bay with the university expedition. Isadora is back to doing what she usually does.

Be warned - although you both might have avoided falling foul of a supernatural entity, the forces of law and order have to be dealt with, and that can come at a cost of a different kind...

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:47 pm
by evil_scientist
One thing about the key: Isadora makes a duplicate at a random locksmith's far from her home. Then she waits for Jordan to call and request the key. If he doesn't call, she calls her a week later and returns the key.

Isadora doesn't end up using the key, just wanted to clarify this thing.

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:13 pm
by HoneyDog
Okay!

New thread is up! You've got some explaining to do!

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:27 am
by evil_scientist
A spoiler for Robert Bloch's "The Shambler From the Stars":
Spoiler:
The house where the Shambler appears is burnt down in the end of the story - one of the most reasonable things to do, it looks like, when you encounter otherworldly entities!! ;)

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:44 am
by HoneyDog
Well, it doesn’t matter now, but in one of the rooms there was a cupboard containing Corbitt’s diaries. They contained a spell for summoning a Dimensional Shambler!

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:55 am
by evil_scientist
Yikes...

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:41 pm
by evil_scientist
Isadora should stick around for Fitzgerald's next novel for jokes about Theosophy ;)
Bilphism: Religion based on reincarnation which Fitzgerald invented as a parody of theosophy; in "The Beautiful and the Damned" Catherine Gilbert is a Bilphist. In 1922 Fitzgerald explained to Dr. Frank H. Vizetelly, editore of the Funk and Wagnall's Standard Dictionary: "Bilphism is a coinage of my own. It is a euphemism for Theosophy – I wanted to take a crack at theosophy without hurting the feelings of a relative of mine. Several people have inquired about it. So I guess it will enter no dictionary."

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:46 pm
by HoneyDog
I think she'll survive to see 1922! ;) She might change her opinion of Fitzgerald though.

I tried reading The Great Gatsby. I couldn't get through it at all.

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:45 pm
by HoneyDog
I like your Dead Light character by the way. I'm doing mine now.

Isadora would be good to include, but I insist you bring her back for my next mystery.

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:26 pm
by evil_scientist
HoneyDog wrote:I like your Dead Light character by the way. I'm doing mine now.

Isadora would be good to include, but I insist you bring her back for my next mystery.
Looking forward to game alongside you as players as well!

Sure, she now has a taste for investigation ;)

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:36 pm
by HoneyDog
Well, you both managed to avoid the far more awful horrors that awaited. I don't think you'll be so lucky next time.

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:54 pm
by evil_scientist

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:01 pm
by HoneyDog
That made me laugh! Reminds me of the HoneyDog. Is that from Food of the Gods? I read that book, although I never saw the movie.

Cool! We're done. Thanks for playing. I hope you enjoyed!

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:03 pm
by evil_scientist
I have no idea, I stumbled upon it on the Internet, without any caption :lol: It's possible, but as far as I remember, Food of the Gods is in color?

I enjoyed it a lot, thanks! Looking forward to the next game, inform me when you're ready!

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:06 pm
by HoneyDog
Dunno. The book wasn't ;) .

If you'd like to make some after game comments, please go ahead. I appreciate feedback on what would have improved the mystery in your view.

I'd like to try a new one soon, so I'll be in touch.

Goodnight!

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:10 am
by Mr. Handy
That was a good read. There's a lot to the scenario you missed, so you might want to play it again some time. Burning down the house probably didn't solve the problem...

I think the movie Food of the Gods was in color. It came out in 1976, I believe, and by then almost every movie was in color (with a few exceptions that were deliberately made in black and white).

When you're ready, let me know by posting here, and I'll move this game to the Hall of Fame.

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:21 am
by HoneyDog
Thanks Mr. H. Yes, we never got to grips with the big bad. I'm sure he wouldn't be so easy to kill.

In hindsight they were both lucky, even Norman - I don't think they would have survived. This adventure definitely needs more players to increase the chances of success. Still, it was an enjoyable and interesting experience. It took far longer than I thought it would!

I think we're done for now. If I think of a way to resurrect the evil I'll let you know. In the meantime I'll try my hand at something else.

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:47 am
by evil_scientist
Mr. Handy wrote:That was a good read. There's a lot to the scenario you missed, so you might want to play it again some time. Burning down the house probably didn't solve the problem...
I liked this ending and it was very satisfactory to me in the way that it's in keeping with the inner logic of the characters. The whole game session was very character-driven, rather than driven by a meta-game motive to find all clues or fight the big baddie we weren't 100% sure existed. :mrgreen:

It would be interesting to try the adventure at some point with characters with a different mindset, dedicated exorcists or occult investigators, or, for example, relatives of people who died in the house (the emotional connection could be an incentive to go on with the investigation instead of just torching the house after the first encounter).

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:20 am
by HoneyDog
Some finding of clues is necessary to avoid searching the house in vain - you're very unlikely to stumble across the horror unless you know exactly where to look.

I think that you're right Evil about the motives of the characters - they really need to have strong reasons to want to see it through to the bitter end. I'll bear that point in mind.

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:46 am
by HoneyDog
Evil, do you want to roll 1d100 skill checks on Library Use and First Aid? And Credit Rating?

Tabs can roll on Library Use.

Please let me know if I missed anything.

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:00 am
by evil_scientist
Yes, those are the skills I've used with success.

Credit Rating, current rating 29%
[dice]0[/dice]

First Aid, current rating 30%
[dice]1[/dice]

Library Use, current rating 33%
[dice]2[/dice]

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:01 am
by evil_scientist
:shock: :cry: :mrgreen: :lol:

Bummer...

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:44 pm
by HoneyDog
That's a shame.

Well, like I said I think your credit rating should be higher anyway. Shall we make it 35%?

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:52 pm
by evil_scientist
Yes, 35% seems more fitting, thanks!

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:43 pm
by HoneyDog
Actually, didn't you also roll for Occult?

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:51 pm
by evil_scientist
I did, but I failed.