Chapter 3: Meetings

Boston 1920: Strange events at 20 Copp’s Hill Terrace have left minds ruined and families shattered. But how believable are such tales as strange figures and moving inanimate objects in our modern age? How readily should we disregard the influence of the otherworldly? After the recent real-life horrors of poison gas and industrialized slaughter, can we give credence to tales of odd visions and supernatural presences?

Investigating 20 Copp’s Hill will prove that we should not dismiss such tales too lightly...

Moderator: HoneyDog

Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 3 months

Re: Chapter 3: Meetings

Post by Tabs »

He took the address.

"One never knows, Mr. Jordan, we may hear something of use.

"Let's find out about the house and Copp's Hill, its history and whatever. Do you have the deeds?

"What was Vittorio's serious accident?"
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Post by HoneyDog »

"We weren't able to discover as it wasn't witnessed, but he was badly cut, and was limping, perhaps he had fallen. He wasn't able to tell anyone what had happened, he was raving."

He continues.

"I only have the property rights concerning the transfer to my name from the previous owner, another property agent. I'm afraid it wouldn't be very useful to you, it might be better to try other sources of information".
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora thinks that 90 years isn't that old for a house -- but this must be her European background speaking.

"Mr. Jordan, can you request access to a list of previous owners through these years from the City Hall's archives? We can probably get information from the libraries also, although it's a tedious job, going through stacks of journals and newspapers, looking for bits of information.

I propose we go and see the house, get a clear first reading. Our minds are already tainted with information, but I think we can still be unburdened and unbiased... Then we can start with other inquiries. How do you call this, Mr. Owens? Empirical method?"
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Jordan fixes Isadora with a level gaze. "Mrs Carmichael, I do not have very much information pertaining to the house. If I had, be assured I would tell you. I'm not able to gather information by myself, hence I am hiring people to investigate on my behalf. I appreciate that searching through public records, old newspaper clippings and libraries can be tedious, but that is how you will gather knowledge if you want to get to the bottom of this mystery. You're welcome to go to the house and begin your investigations from there, but forewarned is forearmed, as they say".

He spreads his arms. "Of course, if the job is not to your taste, I can look elsewhere for assistance."
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Isadora raises an eyebrow at what she perceives to be a sudden change of tone.

"Mr. Jordan, all I asked you was whether you could request a list of previous owners from the City Council's archives. I'm not an expert in paperwork, but Ithink that you as the current owner have a right to do this, while me or Mr. Owens do not. Unless you give us some written permission we can take to the Council ourselves, if that's feasible."
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"I'm only so-so in the library; any authority, perhaps a written recommendation from the house's owner, may be helpful." Norman smiled, attempting to pour oil upon the conversation's choppy waters. "Rest assured, Mr. Jordan, we're the ones for the job.

"Physical experience is my preferred method, too, Ms. Carmichael; is it better to be untainted by supposed knowledge?--we should discuss our plan together."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Jordan suppresses his growing sense of disquiet.

"Of course I understand that these things are not simple. I have a contact at the Mayor's press office who might be able to smooth things for you if you wish to utilize the archives of the Boston Globe. I'll get on to him today and I should be able to get his response by tomorrow. He carries some degree of clout and he owes me a favor so the 'paper should be amenable. I know that some of the recent events were reported by them, so I imagine that there might be more from preceding years. That might give you a good idea as to the history of the house and what might have happened, more so than a list of names of the owners."
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"Thank you. Ms. Carmichael, anything else?"
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

"I don't have any more questions for now... I think we should get our gear and pay a first visit to the house.

Mr. Jordan, will you give us keys to the house?"

OOC:   What time is it now?  
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Outside Mr. Jordan's office:

Norman puffed his cheeks and then exhaled slowly. "An unusual fellow--Mr. Jordan. You okay, Ms. Carmichael? You seemed to be a little cross in there."
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper

Post by HoneyDog »

Jordan opens a drawer in his desk and pulls out a bunch of keys. As he sorts through them he says, looking at a clock on the wall, “Are you sure you want to go today? Its 12.30, so it will be dark in about 5 hours. There’s no power at the house so you would need flashlights. Ah, here it is”.

He hands the key to Norman and gets up and walks to the door. “I’ll get on to the paper to see about that letter”.
OOC:   I didn't see your post Tabs - maybe they just need to finish up with Jordan first?  
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

"Even if we don't stay the night today, we can at least make ourselves familiar with the layout. And get a first impression. Then return tomorrow in the morning."

She says goodbye to Mr. Jordan and joins Norman outside. The explorer clearly has something on his mind.
Tabs wrote:Norman puffed his cheeks and then exhaled slowly. "An unusual fellow--Mr. Jordan. You okay, Ms. Carmichael? You seemed to be a little cross in there."
"I think it was rather he who was cross. Upset, even. 'I'm paying you to do the job, so I don't have to do anything', when I only asked for a perfectly logical thing, at least that's what it seemed to me - a permission of sorts, a paper that says that we are acting on his behalf.

The story of the family and their children did upset me, though. But I'll manage."
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"Hmmm. Potentially we'll be doing a huge financial favour for him." Norman left it at that, his brow was furrowed as he wondered about Mr. Jordan.

"Let's get our first impression." He held up an arm to signal to the passing traffic, "Taxi!"

Return to “The Haunting”