Page 1 of 1

Helluland...

Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:55 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Anyone want to play a Viking game 700 AD?

It takes place on Baffin Island when the Vikings first landed. The name they gave the island was Helluland and will be the name I give my campaign. This will be a bad ass campaign full of Viking and Native folk lore with a cthulhu horror based twist. I need lots of Viking warriors and possibly a few natives. pm me if you want to play a native. Vikings sign up here. There is also room for women characters if someone wants to play a seið-witch or even just a peasant. Any idea that you can provide sufficient backstory is also cool.

All those in favor say Yarr!

Re: Helluland...

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:25 am
by trixie
Yarrr!

He he....unless I'll cause too much turmoil that is....I tend to stir the pot.

Witch??? (Raised eyebrow....evil cackle) hmmmmmm

What kind of roleplaying system are you using? And language are you posting (in other words will you endeavor to use old english....or keep it current speech?)

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:50 am
by Piano man
I'm in.

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:25 am
by DSIGFUSS
I'd love it if everyone talked very viking-ish! Whatever you think a viking would say is good enough for me. We'll feel it out as we go.

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:12 am
by DSIGFUSS
I know an eighteenth that I never tell
To maiden or wife of man,
A secret I hide from all
Except the love who lies in my arms,
Or else my own sister.

from the Hàvamàl

Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:45 am
by DSIGFUSS
Know how to cut them,
know how to read them,
Know how to stain them,
know how to prove them,
Know how to evoke them,
know how to score them,
Know how to send them,
know how to send them.

from the Hàvamàl

Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:31 pm
by welsh
Sounds like fun. Consider me tempted.

Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:17 am
by Basketvector
Arctic Vikings. That's out there. I'm in.

Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:37 pm
by DSIGFUSS
OK, now I got it all figured out.

I will be needing 4 Baffin Island Eskimos and 4 Vikings.

One shaman type on either side. The native shaman can be male or female but the Viking witch must be female. It's first come first serve.

The natives of Baffin island at the time of the Viking settlement of Helluland (Baffin Island) were described as huge Eskimo people, their men standing over 6ft tall. It is believed the technologically advanced Vikings wiped them out, but we will see won't we?

Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:15 pm
by trixie
I would like to be the native shaman...if that spot is still open. And I'd play a female role better than a male. What were typical names back then for that character? Any websites you know of that could lead me to options?

Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:58 pm
by DSIGFUSS
OK... I think the shaman is still open, but please don't hold me to anything yet. I'll talk it out with a a couple people.

It's also important that we squash the traditional Native picture I'm sure some of you people are imagining. The Dorset people are giant Eskimo's/ Inuit warriors (whichever is more pc) and are more than a match for any Viking.

Image Image

Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:10 am
by TheKingInYellow
Oh, hot damn, I'm in. I'm thinking a stout, sturdy Viking man; strongly religious and friendly. I'll have to read up on Viking society and culture, but sounds like a blast.

Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:14 pm
by DSIGFUSS
If you want to play a religious Viking, you should read the Havamal.

It starts out by telling Vikings how they should treat friends lovers and visitors. In Icelandic it all rhymes but when you read it in English it comes off like a proverb. Very light hearted life lessons. I'll be providing all the Viking characters with a short summary of the Viking religion. Genesis, but in crazy Viking.

Just a hint. The universe started with a huge cow with three teats and a huge frost giant with three gaping maws

Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:19 pm
by TheKingInYellow
The first people licked from a block of salt :D

I'll check out the Havamal, sounds like just the thing for the concept I had in mind.

Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:32 pm
by trixie
Website I found if anyone is looking for an eskimo name

http://lowchensaustralia.com/names/eskimonames.htm

Named my character:

Yuralria (means dancing one)

Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:57 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Sweet. Thanks Trixie. here's a link for Viking names too if anyone wants to use it.

http://www.angelfire.com/wy/svenskildbi ... nams3.html

Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:13 pm
by ImpInTraining
DSIGFUSS wrote: Anyone want to play a Viking game 700 AD?

All those in favor say Yarr!

Yarr!

Ok, I'm good with playing an Eskimo if you have the needs of one. Although it will be my first attempt at portraying an Eskimo, so bear with me. Do you have pregenerated Eskimos?

Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:43 am
by FlintlockHMD
YARRR

Can i be a viking?

This could be awesome.

EDIT: Weoulf the viking!

Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:26 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Excellent...

Welcome Imp and Flintlock.

I'll pregenerate some Eskimos this weekend.

Flintlock, Yes you can play a Viking and depending on wether Welsh or Paradys plays, the Vikings are all filled up. There will be another Viking group joining the game in a month or two.

Vikings
-Basket Vector
-Flintlock
-Kinginyellow
-maybe paradys
-maybe Welsh

Eskimos
-Trixie
-ImpinTraining
-maybe laraqua

We need Eskimos now.. Remember, not your typical Eskimos. Think giant, ass kicking, whalers and warriors of the artic plains.

Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:22 pm
by welsh
Hey Dis- A bit busy with a couple projects on this board and real life at the moment, but I am interested. It would be better if I joined the follow-up Norsemen. Ok?

Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:24 pm
by DSIGFUSS
No worries welsh. There's always a place for keepers in my game.

So now I got three spots reserved on the second viking boat.

Second Boat
-Pianoman
-Coffee demon
-Welsh

Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:31 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Image Image Image

ASS KICKING ESKIMOS

Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:18 pm
by Basketvector
Ingvar pulls himself out of a ditch. Stale mead and barf are caked all over his furs. He can't remember what happened last night, but his bruises tell most of the story.

"BY THE GODS!!!" He sees he cracked his father's axe.
Who the hell did I cleave last night?

"Well I can't kill anyone with this. I need TWINE!!!"

Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:22 am
by trixie
YAAAA!!! ASS KICKIN' ESKIMOS!!!

WOO WOO WOO!!! (Arsenio Hall reference...)

Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:29 am
by ImpInTraining
You give me some of that Viking lip, and I'll shove this whale blubber right where the sun never shines six months out of the year!

Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:43 am
by trixie
Well Imp, if that comment was directed at me, we're both on the whale blubber side....

you should see my kick ass igloo and fur pom pom's.....

ha ha ha

Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:21 am
by ImpInTraining
No, silly... it was directed to the Vikings. :D I try not to offend someone I might need to stay warm with.

Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:30 am
by trixie
ha ha ha...I know it's gonna be c..c...c....cold (shivers) on Baffin Island.

Gotta huddle close to stay warm.....maybe I'll show you my igloo....but don't get any ideas! Boys that get frisky get a swift whalebone to the backside where I come from! ha ha ha

D, can you let us know what kind of character sheets we're using to roll up our characters? It's gonna take me a while to figure mine out. (Writing the history that is)

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:32 am
by welsh
Hey D-

Any guidelines on character creation?

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:24 pm
by DSIGFUSS
If you don't want to make a character I will give you a pregenerated character. If you want to make one yourself, please use standard character generation rules. 110 points for attributes. Once you finish I will be modifying each character individually to make them a bit more ass kicking than normal.

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:06 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Here's a link for a dark ages character sheet if you've never seen one before. It will help you to figure out the skills.

http://www.chaosium.com/forms/CDA_InvSheet.pdf

Thank Mr. Handy, the Norse and Inuit god of rules, for that one.

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:42 pm
by trixie
Pah....I think I'll take you up on your offer to make a pre-generated character for me. That'd be great if the offer's on the table. Thx.

Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:36 pm
by welsh
Hey Dsi-

couple of quick questions-
In terms of equipment, do we have an spending allowance?

Do norsemen receive any bonuses from specialized training- for instance, they have a pilot boat or "row a longboat" skill? Fishing? Navigation? Bezerker rage?

I assume Frankish weapons are out- do we have unique weapons and armor? Battle axe and shields.

SOme useful history from wikipedia-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vikings

Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:21 pm
by DSIGFUSS
The vikings are going to be armed. They can choose any kind of Scale/Chain/studded leather or Hide based armor. steel worked helmets, swords and axes of varying sizes and descriptions. Viking Bows, (Not sure about cross bows) slings, javelins, etc... I'm having trouble finding a copy of the Dark Ages call of cthulhu rulebook but I'll get it soon. Any equipment from the Dark Ages can be selected but must be submitted for my approval. If you think the Vikings had it, go for it. No katana blades or English long bows or other weird stuff. Vikings are proud and do things their own way.

The Eskimos will use heavy stone spears, Bone clubs and knives. For armor they can wear Hide, Furs and Bone scale mail equivalent. (I'll figure that one out.) Don't worry Eskimos. There will be advantages to even out the Eskimo heroes and make up for any lack in armour and weapons.

Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:36 pm
by Laraqua
Fist of Yog-Sothoth, Grasp of Cthulhu and Breath of the Deep to name a few, no doubt... :lol: Take that! Viking idiots!

Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:49 pm
by ImpInTraining
Oh, I'm kind of partial to Invisible Stalker myself.

Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:06 pm
by welsh
hey Dsi- I may edit the character I sent. It makes sense that he use an axe instead of a short sword/dirk.

Can players fight double handed? From what I understand of Dark Ages combat, those with short weapons have to dodge the long weapon to get in. Those with long weapons have to step back (dodge) to use their long weapons- making combat a bit more difficult.

Also, do you have back story to this- a reason why we are going to this island (famous for big rocks) and not to more healthier, wooded regions? Is this early in the exploration? Are we looking to develop commerce and outposts (a peaceful mission) or are we there to establish a colony and conquer (a mission of conquest)?

About where are we in the time line of Viking explorations? Has Lief discovered Vinland?

Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:15 pm
by DSIGFUSS
The Vikings as far as everyone knows are there to clear the way so a colony can eventually be built. It's just after Leif Ericson's discovery. Why Baffin would even be considered is for the Vikings to figure out for themselves.

Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:18 pm
by DSIGFUSS
OK guys and gals!

We got a site... so from now on post your chatter in THE VIKING / ESKIMO MIXER. BYOB

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:04 am
by ImpInTraining
LOL ... ok if I bring Rum instead of Beer?

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:16 am
by trixie
BYOB can be bring your own booze just as well as beer.....

just pick your poison.... 8) It's aaaaalll good. Imp I've a funny feeling you'd be a blast on Fridays....ha ha ha

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:47 am
by ImpInTraining
Usually it takes a few drinks before I'm 'a blast'. ;)

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:45 am
by trixie
Oh come on now....

The truth!!! I DEMAND IT! ha ha ha

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:25 am
by ImpInTraining
Ok... well, if it's tequila shots, it only takes 1.

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:27 am
by trixie
Tequila? Oh...you mean tokillya...

Yes the best tequila came from Mexico...it was soooo smooth. But still after three shots, it came back to bite ya in the ass like only tokillya can. :lol:

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:00 am
by ImpInTraining
Alas, one of the best reasons for being in America ... so close to the good tequila (Mexico).

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:08 am
by trixie
Sigh.......yes would be nice to be closer.

Whereabouts are you from in the US then? So close you can hop across the border for a bottle?

Of course...tequila is not my drink of choice...but it'll do in a pinch. And birthdays are only birthdays with a couple celebratory shots of tequila. :D

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:23 am
by ImpInTraining
I'm in N.E. Pennsylvania ... a very long way from Mexico... but I've been there quite a few times - especially on my cruises. Nice place to visit.

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:41 am
by Laraqua
Cruises?

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:25 am
by ImpInTraining
Yeah... some people like to drive around from state to state... I like to hop on a cruise ship and sail for 7 days from coastline to coastline. Been in the Caribbean twice, and Mexican Rivera once. Beautiful waters. Loved snorkeling along the reef, tubing through the cave river, canopy sliding in the rain forest, and exploring the Mayan ruins.

More cruises to come, but I'm trying to talk my wife into going to Alaska. She just doesn't want to go because she's not one for swimming in frigid waters. Go figure, huh?

Once our son is off to college, we're talking about taking a cruise in the Mediterranean, visit Egypt, Greece, etc.

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:18 pm
by trixie
Nice, I've never been on a cruise myself, but if you're a rum fan, might I suggest Barabados for your next vacation spot. The rum.....it's aaaaaccchhh (Homer Simpson moment)

Hubby and I went there 5 years ago....and ya I don't blame your wife for not wanting to go to Alaska, although the mountainscapes are beautiful!

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:29 pm
by Piano man
Don't let her fool you Imp. She was seven months pregnant when we went. I can however tell you she's right. The rum was amazing. I love all inclusive. I think it's the canadian in me that takes that as a challenge. She has however spent the last five years making up for it. ha ha.

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:18 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Imp wrote: Once our son is off to college, we're talking about taking a cruise in the Mediterranean, visit Egypt, Greece, etc.

Don't go to Egypt man. Are you not playing Lure of the Nile? There are crazy crocodile men everywhere and you can't walk down the street without getting mauled by wild dogs. :lol:

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:21 pm
by DSIGFUSS
ATTENTION

OK everyone I'm adding a new thread to Helluland. It's a game specific OOC thread... So no posting in it unless you have a game question. You guys went nutters last night eh? Well the Mixer's there for the party people so : Party on Vikings! Party on Eskimos!

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:30 pm
by trixie
Ok boss

Ya nutters....my post count needs some tlc. ha ha ha

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:31 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Still looking for 1 Viking and 2 Eskimos. Anybody?

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:57 pm
by Carcosannoble
Yarrr! I want to be a viking!

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:23 pm
by ImpInTraining
I'll post a little something on my site to see if there are any prospective Eskimos on there.

Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:33 am
by trixie
Ya that's a cool site you have up there, Imp. Like superheroes games....yeehaw! Haven't had a ton of time to be on today and explore but I plan to.

Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:35 am
by ImpInTraining
Well, you're welcome to spend as much time exploring as you like. It'd be great to have you join in a couple games over there. We could use some more who love to participate (even if it's sort of like opening up Pandora's box - once it gets going, it's hard to stop... :lol: ).

Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:21 am
by trixie
I was afraid of that. Especially after 11,000 posts you say?

:shock:

Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:11 am
by ImpInTraining
And that's not counting the hundreds of threads that have been deleted. No shutting me up. Heck, that's why I made my own board... so no one could shut me up anymore.

Muah-hah-hah-hah!

Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:40 am
by trixie
Ya well, they always try to shut me up....but it never works.

Specially because I know juuuuust what button to push.....

over......and over......and over....... :lol:

Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:58 am
by ImpInTraining
Careful with that, you'll get a George Jetson complex, pushing that button over and over.

Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:07 pm
by trixie
George Jetson......ya I keep waiting for us to actually have a hover car and space house....would be cool. I mean I could really GET somewhere in one of those little hover things. Cut me off? Damn it! Take that.....beeline below and ram on the roof....ha ha ha

Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:21 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Vikings

Basket Vector
King in Yellow
Henrik
Carcossanoble
FlintLock (still pending)

Eskimos

Trixie
ImpinTraining
Andrew
Laraqua

If Laraqua is in, looks like we're all full. Nice guys.

Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:28 pm
by trixie
Welsh? Or is he second boat?

Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:57 pm
by Andrew
ImpInTraining wrote: Well, you're welcome to spend as much time exploring as you like. It'd be great to have you join in a couple games over there. We could use some more who love to participate (even if it's sort of like opening up Pandora's box - once it gets going, it's hard to stop... :lol: ).

Well hell Imp, that's the fun part! Makes our jobs a bit exciting then. However it would be really cool to get some fresh blood over there and mix things up a bit. Should be a real hoot! :roll:

Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:33 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Welsh? Or is he second boat?

Welsh is on the second boat.

Second boat (third actually)

Welsh
Pianoman
Coffedemon
(1 slot still open)

Plus there will be lots of single spots opening up for those who want to float around the fringes of the main action. Play it by ear kind of spots.

Just send me a pm if you want in and aren't on the list.

Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:37 pm
by DSIGFUSS
THERE'S A PARTY IN THE MIXER! WHY AREN'T YOU DRINKING???????
:shock:

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:32 pm
by Piano man
Ok so that's no more posting here.....got it.

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:33 pm
by Piano man
I just want to clarify. You mean never. That wasn't just for yesterday. :lol:

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:57 pm
by trixie
Dances in the thread we're NOT supposed to be in! :lol:

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:55 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Now your just being greedy and trying to get your post count up. If I have to I'll put a post limit on the Mixer too. 6 drinks and you're cut off.

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:55 pm
by DSIGFUSS
OK ONE MORE ESKIMO WARRIOR SPOT OPEN

FIRST COME FIRST SERVE!

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:14 am
by DSIGFUSS
Still looking for players