The Enemy Within - Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 4th Edition.

Please post here if you're trying to gauge interest in a NEW game, which you'd like to run on Play@YSDC
Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

The Enemy Within - Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 4th Edition.

Post by Raiko »

Currently signed up (looking for 4-6 players):
  1. Mr. Handy
  2. Philulhu
  3. kabukiman
  4. simonthompson
  5. -
  6. -
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay has a gritty low-fantasy setting (quite unlike recent versions of the wargame rules), where relatively low powered characters are the (anti?)heroes investigating secretive cults plotting the end of times, or gruesome deeds committed by horrors lurking in the dark forests of the Old World.

So it is very much a Call of Cthulhu style game in a fantasy setting, and was originally produced at a time when Games Workshop were the UK distributors of Call of Cthulhu.

I had a great time as a player in The Enemy Within when it was originally released in the 1980s, and I've owned every version of the "original" campaign (so not the FFG 3rd Edition, which is a completely different story).

I'd very much like to run the new Directors cut of The Enemy Within, produced for WFRP 4th Edition by Cubicle 7 Games, but my tabletop gaming group includes both the GM and one of the other players from our 1980s campaign, so I'm wondering if there's enough interest for me to run it on here?

I have part one: Enemy in Shadows, which contains the content of the original adventures The Enemy Within and Shadows Over Bögenhafen. I've also got the Enemy in Shadows Companion and Rough Nights and Hard Days (which includes a separate set of classic WFRP adventures, which easily integrate into The Enemy Within).

I've got Part Two: Death on the Reik, pre-ordered including the companion and I plan to buy the whole campaign including companions and supplementary books (e.g. City of the White Wolf). Publication and licencing of WFRP has "a bit" of a chequered history, but if the worst should happen, I'll be able to continue the campaign using the previous versions.

If there's enough interest, then I'll get ready to play - it'll take me a couple of weeks.

I'll be trying to post daily, but only after making necessary posts in my existing Masks of Nyarlathotep game, so while daily posting players would be preferred, you should be able to keep up in you can post 3-4 times per week.

jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 7 months

Re: The Enemy Within - Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 4th Editio

Post by jp1885 »

If I wasn't already in a local WFRP group I'd be all over this, but alas we plan to move onto this campaign at some stage (having recently completed the starter set Ubersreik stuff).

However I'd urge others to give this system a try - it's very much the Call of Cthulhu version of fantasy rpg'ing: grim, dark; the PCs are just as squishy and the combat can be very deadly!
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

One thing that I forgot to say in the original post:
Seeing as this is a Call of Cthulhu forum, if the players prefer I can tweak the Gods of Chaos and their cultists slightly to be more mythos related.

Rest assured, it's definitely got a horror vibe to this campaign though.
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

jp1885 wrote:If I wasn't already in a local WFRP group I'd be all over this, but alas we plan to move onto this campaign at some stage (having recently completed the starter set Ubersreik stuff).

However I'd urge others to give this system a try - it's very much the Call of Cthulhu version of fantasy rpg'ing: grim, dark; the PCs are just as squishy and the combat can be very deadly!
Thanks.

It would have been great to have you as a player, but you're in for a great time playing this as a face to face game. 8-)
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 7 months

Post by jp1885 »

Well, over Facebook chat and Foundry VTT rather than face to face :D
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

I'd be up for this too. I like gritty low-fantasy. I'm not familiar with the ruleset or the setting, but I'm sure I can learn quickly.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Mr. Handy wrote:I'd be up for this too. I like gritty low-fantasy. I'm not familiar with the ruleset or the setting, but I'm sure I can learn quickly.
Great! You're in. :D
And as with Masks, I promise to keep trying to run it as long as you're playing (which seems to me to be the best way to get a game to the end on this forum).

No problem about the ruleset or the setting. I'll provide starter type details for both if the game happens.

The game is percentage based, like BRP/CoC. As jp1885 says, combat is very dangerous. Also Spellcasting is risky, casters are feared by all, including their own allies.

The region where the campaign occurs - Reikland in "The Empire" - is loosely based on the Rhine region during the early period of the Holy Roman Empire - the whole setting is late medieval / early renaissance, apart from the fantasy elements.

Non-human playable races are very Tolkien - Elves are a doomed race who've mostly left the "Old World" continent, Dwarfs have seen their ancient mountain cities overrun by goblins and worse, Halflings mostly live in a tranquil rural region protected by the big folk.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 9 months

Post by Philulhu »

WFRP is my favourite fantasy setting so I’d be up for that!
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years

Post by kabukiman »

I'm interested too; I still have an old tomb king and a high elf army at home from warhammer. I just played once the rpg, but it was a lot of fun.
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Great, you're both added to the list.
I'll get ready to run the game then, I'd prefer at least one more player, but I'm okay running it for the three of you if nobody else joins in.

It'll probably take me a week or two to be definitely ready to start.
simonthompson
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 6 months

Post by simonthompson »

I used to love Warhammer back in the day, precisely because it was so gritty and dark, but never played this campaign. I've hesitated to commit myself to another game while I'm running "Mr Corbitt" but I reckon I can handle the posting requirement so I've given in to temptation. If you'll have me I'll take that last slot.
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Thanks, I've added you to the list Simon.

Outside of combat situations, I tend to try to post NPC conversational replies at least once per day, just so players aren't waiting for me (and so conversations flow better than if I just post daily). I try to do bigger updates, like location changes once per week, to keep games moving.

Plus, as I said I'll make posts in my Masks game in preference to this one if I'm short on time.

So generally speaking, as long as you can post a couple of times per week, you'll not get left out and as long as you keep up with events I'm not fussed if you actually post regularly.

During combat, I'll try to run one round every 48 hours, but I'll move on quicker if everyone posts. I've kind of embraced "spotlight" style for handling combat in my forum games, so that initiative and turn sequence only matters between opponents and the action switches around like a movie scene. I'd seen this in a couple of storytelling RPGs and it works well for play by post, as I can keep the action moving at each player's posting speed.

So if you can't post for a few days during a combat, the "movie camera" will be watching the other characters and it'll return to you when you're ready.

Hope that makes sense. :)
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

I've not had chance to start prepping this yet, as I've been pretty busy in real-life, but I'm definitely still keen to run it.

I'm on holiday from work for the next couple of weeks, so I should have plenty of time to get ready. I'll plan to get started in two weekends time - I may or may not start a character generation thread before then.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 9 months

Post by Philulhu »

Looking forward to it.

Return to “... I'm Thinking Of Running A Game”