Call of Cthulhu in Space

Please post here if you're trying to gauge interest in a NEW game, which you'd like to run on Play@YSDC
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Call of Cthulhu in Space

Post by Mephistophilis »

In Space No One Can Hear You Roll Sanity

I was musing about how you might run a Call of Cthulhu set in space and I came across The Titan Incident, a one-shot from the Miskatonic Repository for 7th edition.

I think it'd need a bit of work to tighten up the scenario but is this something anyone would be interested in? I'd think about posting every 1-2 days (for my modern day game we said 2-3 days but people seem to be posting more frequently at the moment).

I'd be thinking a hard scifi approach, something like 2001 meets Alien, but via Call of Cthulhu. The game has pregen characters but I think there is scope for making your own characters. I'm wondering about making rules for synthetic characters (i.e. androids).

The blurb is:
By the waning years of the 22nd century, humanity has expanded beyond Earth, establishing colonies on Mars, Ceres, and the moons of Jupiter and Saturn; the latter of these being largely penal or mining colonies, taking advantage of the isolation and mineral wealth of these moons. One such colony, known as Benedict’s Rest, was established on the shores of the north polar sea of Ligeia Mare on the moon Titan, in the year 2169. Originally a penal colony that used convict labor to harvest liquid methane, Benedict’s Rest was bought out by a German energy conglomerate, Richter Dynamics, and expanded; now, in 2189, contract, or “free” miners outnumber convicts 5 to 1—158 free miners to 31 convicts.

The colony’s productivity, formerly the highest of any Richter colony site, has dropped 19% in the last month with no reasonable explanation provided. In the same period, the colony medic, Dr. Henry Holzer, has died; the administration has been vague regarding cause, though it has been intimated that he committed suicide. Over the objections of colony administrator James Kingsley, Richter Dynamics has sent a team of corporate troubleshooters to investigate these two issues and make recommendations to revive productivity.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: Call of Cthulhu in Space

Post by Mr. Handy »

I'm definitely interested! It sounds like the perfect opportunity to bring back my character from Titanic Horror, engineer Samantha Golightly.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 9 months

Post by Philulhu »

I’d love to, but think I’m overcommitted at the moment!
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

Would you have room for a power-hungry, profits-before-sense corporate minion on the team? Or is that just asking for mind-rending tentacular trouble?
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

I'm not sure you can run a scenario like this without a corporate minion.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

I think we'd need at least three players to justify running the scenario. Also you'd need to be comfortable with players potentially having hidden agendas. We'll see if anyone else is interested.
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 6 years 2 months

Post by Starspawn338 »

This sounds interesting. I think I can commit posting three times per week.
Life is a tragedy to those who feel
Life is a comedy to those who think
Life is a fantasy to those who game
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Three times a week should be fine. Sounds like we're quorate. I need to have a look at how we'll do character generation then we can get going in the next week or so. Time for anyone else to express an interest.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Great! When you're ready for me to create a forum, please post the title you want me to use for the game. I can use the blurb you provided in the initial post.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Cheers, 'The Titan Incident' is as good a title as any.

Looks like we have Mr Handy, aine, and Starspawn338. Still room for a few more if anyone's interested.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

No problem. The forum is here.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Got the character creation thread up. Still room for another player.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 7 months

Post by jp1885 »

Can I really commit to another game? Sure I can! I’d like to join if you’ll have me.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Sure head on over. Link is above.
Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Raiko »

If you've room for one more I'd like to join in. I'm pretty desperate to get myself active on these forums again, and I've The Expanse (books and TV show) and the original two Alien movies, so this is right up my street.

I've an existing investigator Nicole Favre that I'd rejig from 6th Edition for this.
She's ideal to be tweaked into the Colonial Marshall, but I can easily rewrite her to fit another role. Maybe the pilot?
The Original Write-up,I've got the actual 6th ed character somewhere still, but Lee kept the character sheets secret for that game. [quote="Raiko"][b]Name: [/b]Nicole Favre [b]Occupation: [/b]ColSec Detective [b]Sex: [/b]Female [b]Age: [/b]28 [b]Date of Birth: [/b]19th Nov 2242 [b]Place of Birth: [/b]Marseille, France - Earth/Sol [b]Height: [/b]5'3" (160cm) [b]Weight: [/b]112lbs (51kg) [u][b]Visible Attributes:[/b][/u] [b]Str: [/b]11 [b]Size: [/b]9 [b]App: [/b]16 [u][b]Appearance:[/b][/u] Standing just 5'3" tall Nicole is fortunate that ColSec are desperate for any officers they can get, as she would not meet the height requirements of many Earth based law enforcement agencies. She is attractive, and her petit body is tanned and well toned, with the muscles of a gymnast. Her black hair is cut in a bob style and she generally wears fashionable casual suits. She speaks Engish fluently, but with a strong French accent. [u][b]Background:[/b][/u] Nicole was born in the French Mediterranean Port of Marseille in 2242. Her parents Alain and Charlotte are both corporate lawyers, employed by the French division of the Cenargo Corporation. She also has one older sister, Adèle (31). Early in her childhood her family moved away from Earth, her mother had been promoted, and both her parents were reassigned to Cenargo's newest colony Harmony, in the 36 Ophiuchi AB system. Nicole enjoyed her childhood, although life on a new colony can be harsh, Nicole's parents' positions allowed her to enjoy a life of relative privilege; she enjoyed sports particularly gymnastics, had a good education, and all in all her early life wasn't so different than that of any middle classed girl on earth. Nichole joined the Colonial Security Service at the age of 18, against the wishes of her parents, who believed that she should pursue a career within the company like her older sister Adele. Shortly after completing her training she became romantically involved with Tanaka Heiji an orbital engineer employed by Motokatsu-Kyono. Nichole was a talented young cop and after three years on patrol she was allowed to train for detective. She passed the arduous detective training easily, and spent the following year as a junior detective on Harmony, during that year she also got engaged to Heiji, and got pregnant. Disaster struck while Nicole was on maternity leave, Heiji died in a suitably horrific decompression incident on one of Harmony's orbital facilities shortly before the birth of their daughter Kikumi. When she returned to work Nicole applied for a transfer to Carson's Hope, hoping for a fresh start away from the memories of her dead lover. Nicole has lived in Drakestown for just over four years now, and has partnered Richard Fell for the last two. She respects her older partner, and enjoys his relaxed demeanour and his wit.[/quote]
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 7 months

Post by jp1885 »

Mephistophilis wrote:Sure head on over. Link is above.
Great stuff! I’ll look at character creation ASAP.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Of course Raiko, head on over to the thread above. I think that means we're full with five players. Post your character ideas to the Character Creation thread.

Return to “... I'm Thinking Of Running A Game”