Gaslight anyone?

Please post here if you're trying to gauge interest in a NEW game, which you'd like to run on Play@YSDC
simonthompson
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 6 months

Gaslight anyone?

Post by simonthompson »

Hi everyone,

As an unseasoned Call of Cthulhu and Play-by-Post enthusiast, stuck out in rural England where other players are few and far between, I’m thinking of commencing a Gaslight era version of Edge of Darkness with myself in the role of Keeper. I’d like to run a face-to-face version of the adventure if I can gather enough interest locally and this will be a great opportunity to help familiarise myself with the rules and plot.

From what I’ve read Edge of Darkness is a classic CoC scenario and one of the best short adventures for a beginning keeper to run. So, it would seem to be a good place to start my Cthulhu Keeper career and having read through it I believe it would be fairly easy to adapt it to 1880’s England. As a taster I’m thinking of setting the events in either London, Cambridge, or Oxford.

Before we go any further, please be aware that at this point I am simply determining if there’s interest in participating. If I do go ahead I’ll be looking for a minimum of three investigators, potentially as many as five, and if oversubscribed - a nice problem to have - I’ll give priority to the more inexperienced players.

Expectations regarding posting rates will be pretty relaxed. I can commit to posting at once or twice a day so I’d like all participants to be able to do something similar.

The style of the adventure will be relatively gritty with the emphasis on roleplaying, atmosphere and storytelling. What I see as the real strengths of Call of Cthulhu. For me that doesn’t necessarily equate to posts of War and Peace length, but realistic (sic) and consistent characterisation from the central characters.

If we’re all able to look back at the game thinking ‘wow, I had a lot of fun, and what a great story we’ve woven’, I’ll consider it a success and time well spent.

As I say, very definitely early days, but who’s up for it?
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Re: Gaslight anyone?

Post by Mephistophilis »

I'd definitely be up for it. I'm a novice player who's been trying my hand at play by forum for the last month or so. I could definitely commit to once or twice a day.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

I would play, but I've already played Edge of Darkness, so others should get the opportunity. I'll be happy to create a forum for you when you're ready to start and to read along.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Post by Snapper »

Hi there, I'm another old CoC player who's only recently started using this forum thing. I'm getting the hang of it so would be very keen to try a second game. And I'm a big Gaslight / Sherlock Holmes fan.

Snapper
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

Post by aine »

I've never played Edge of Darkness so would like to join in but happy to be passed over for more naive victims, sorry, I mean fresh investigators.
simonthompson
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 6 months

Post by simonthompson »

Thanks everyone, that's an encouraging start.

I'll leave this here for a few more days to see if there's any more interest before making a final decision. It would be nice to get a couple more players so that we can continue without too much disruption if there are any drop outs.
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by Dave Syrinx »

A jolly good ole Penny Dreadful thingie should be mighty nice this late October. Where do I let my butler leave the application?
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 7 months

Post by jp1885 »

I am playing way too many games on this forum already, so count me IN :)
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 9 months

Post by Philulhu »

If you have space for one more, I’d be interested.
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 17 years

Post by yockenthwaite »

I'd be interested, but daily posting isn't something I could manage with my neurological illness. But best of luck! Gaslight is fun :)

Return to “... I'm Thinking Of Running A Game”