A Cool and Lonely Courage Playtest: the women of the SOE

Please post here if you're trying to gauge interest in a NEW game, which you'd like to run on Play@YSDC
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

A Cool and Lonely Courage Playtest: the women of the SOE

Post by Mr. Handy »

I recently ran a playtest of A Cool and Lonely Courage with one other player. It's a story RPG set in World War Two France, where the players each play a female operative of the Special Operations Executive, sent into Nazi-occupied Europe to, as Winston Churchill put it, "set Europe ablaze." I'd like to run a second, longer playtest if I can get enough interest. It takes 2-5 players, and I'd be one of them. This is a GM-less game, but I'd be facilitating it as I'm familiar with it. The rules are very simple to learn. At the start, we have all been captured by the Nazis and are awaiting our fates, and we are sharing our stories with each other as a series of flashbacks. Card draws from a standard deck determine the theme of each scene (spades for death, hearts for love, diamonds for success, and clubs for failure). We can add supporting characters to our scenes, which can return in future scenes. When one player has a scene, the other players can roleplay those supporting characters. After we've played out all of our scenes, we'll each have one card left. What it is and what we choose to do with it will determine our fates. This is not a Mythos game, though there is often all too human horror in it. However, we could always put in Mythos references along the lines of the Achtung! Chtulhu - Fate game that was played here a few years ago but sadly did not get very far.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Re: A Cool and Lonely Courage Playtest: the women of the SOE

Post by evil_scientist »

I'm interested!
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Awesome! We have two players now, so this is definitely happening. I'll give it some time to see if we can get more players.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I've sent you the playtest rules in a PM, and I've brought back the game from the Hall of Fame, so you can get started reading the rules and creating your character while we wait to see if others want to join. We'll just add our characters to the same thread that has the characters from the first playtest.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

If anyone is interested, the Kickstarter for A Cool and Lonely Courage has launched!
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “... I'm Thinking Of Running A Game”