The Cthulhu Hack

Please post here if you're trying to gauge interest in a NEW game, which you'd like to run on Play@YSDC
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 2 months

The Cthulhu Hack

Post by Priest »

Just an interest check. I am considering trying my hand at ‘The Cthulhu Hack’ by Paul Badowski. I will let the author speak for himself;

"WHAT’S THE CTHULHU HACK?
The Cthulhu Hack is a traditional tabletop role-playing game, played with paper, pencils and dice, narrating an interactive story around a table with friends. The Cthulhu Hack is based on another game, the simple but utterly entertaining The Black Hack.
What's that? Well, The Black Hack uses the Original 1970s Fantasy Role-playing Game as a base. But it adds and takes away ideas from the Original to come up with an elegantly modern game with a traditional flavor.
The Cthulhu Hack takes The Black Hack as a base but looks to emulate games of insanity and investigation into Things Best Left Unknown. It supports tales of shock and wonder common to sordid dime store action stories of the 20s and 30s as seen through the lens of tabletop game-players.
The Cthulhu Hack offers the system and mechanics to run exciting adventures using the tropes and creatures invented by H. P. Lovecraft and his collaborators, though with a splash more pulp than you might find in those stories."

The system has some innovative rules, geared toward investigation making this more of a survival by brain than fist system. If anyone is interested let me know and I’ll make a start.

The game itself is available from DriveThru http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/182 ... hulhu-Hack for the princely sum of £2.00
However the rules are simple and easy to pick up.
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: The Cthulhu Hack

Post by Mr. Handy »

I'm interested, but I hope you can just explain to us how to play without us having to buy the game.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 4 months

Post by evil_scientist »

There is a free (pay what you want) quickstart PDF, I think it has all the necessary rules: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/19 ... Quickstart?
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

evil_scientist wrote:There is a free (pay what you want) quickstart PDF, I think it has all the necessary rules: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/19 ... Quickstart?
True. However I think it would be simple enough to explain the rules. It's mostly dealing with Saves. Would you be interested if I give it a whirl?
- Anais Nin
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Not sure, I'm involved in quite a few games.

I like trying out new systems, but, frankly, there has to be an intriguing setting to go with it as well... What do you plan, adventure and setting-wise? Which period?
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

evil_scientist wrote:Not sure, I'm involved in quite a few games.

I like trying out new systems, but, frankly, there has to be an intriguing setting to go with it as well... What do you plan, adventure and setting-wise? Which period?
It would be set during the late 1920s or the early 30s and involve the usual investigation into the unknown. In other words classic Lovecraft.
I believe the system itself would be simple to explain, as it is based on saves and resources. But in order for me to put in the effort to start it up I would need two or three players.
- Anais Nin
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

I see. Well, it would be interesting to try out this system, maybe with a short one-shot type adventure?
Zeppo
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 6 years 9 months

Post by Zeppo »

Count me in.

Return to “... I'm Thinking Of Running A Game”