Sukakpak: An atmospheric one-shot

Please post here if you're trying to gauge interest in a NEW game, which you'd like to run on Play@YSDC
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 4 months

Sukakpak: An atmospheric one-shot

Post by evil_scientist »

• Sukakpak

Spring, well north of the arctic circle. 1975. A small surveying camp sits just south of the Middle Fork of the Koyukuk and Bettles river confluence, among dense forests of spindly spruce trees. Above it, the ramplike prow of Sukakpak mountain dominates. It is a striking, curious and isolated peak south of the Brooks range.

Endless spruce forest in three directions, with the massive wall of the Brooks range abruptly stopping its progress to the north, like a sea wall against the brownish-green. Forest as far as the eye can see, from thousands of feet in the air. It’s dark, featureless, somehow implacable.

Sukakpak mountain is in Pipeline Section Five, a piece of the massive trans-Alaskan pipeline project managed by a conglomerate known as Arctic Constructors. This stretch of wilderness will eventually become Mile Marker 204 on the soon-to-be-built North Slope Haul Road. It will hug the eastern slope of Sukakpak mountain and cross the Bettles river, avoiding a difficult crossing of the wide, treacherous Koyukon. A survey team is re-flagging the original pipeline route that was flagged in ’71. There is great urgency, as construction of the North Slope Haul Road has already begun and will reach Atigun pass in less than a month. The route must be clearly marked.

And now a man has died.

Sukakpak is a one-shot adventure, written by Jason Morningstar, published in The Unspeakable Oath #21 (2012). It relies heavily on the bleak, isolated atmosphere of Mt. Sukakpak. The territory is being surveyed and marked out for the construction of the trans-Alaskan pipeline, but the project is halted by the death of one of the workers...

The Investigators
Since there has been a workplace fatality, officials are being flown in to collect the body and investigate. These are the player characters.

Required roles
  • A pilot (who might also be the state trooper),
  • An Alaska state trooper, sent to investigate and recover the body of a dead worker,
  • A representative of Arctic Constructors, to investigate and make sure the survey is completed on time
Possible additional roles
  • A doctor hastily enlisted as a medical examiner,
  • A clueless and unprepared federal safety inspector,
  • A new, aggressive survey leader, sent as a replacement for the current leader

I would like to run this adventure for three players. What do you guys think?
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: Sukakpak: An atmospheric one-shot

Post by Mr. Handy »

I'd be interested in playing.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Post by Mister Ginge »

Please count me in. Sounds like a very intriguing scenario.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Great! Then we are waiting for one more player.
"I feel as if my soul would be torn out of my body," she gasped. "I am being drawn into a whirlpool. What is happening? What does it mean?" - The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by Rooter »

I'll play.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

All right! So we have Mr. Handy, Mister Ginge and Wruter! Are you okay with using 7th ed.? Also, in the meantime, which roles would you like to play?

Can an admin create a forum for us, please? :)
Title: Sukakpak

Description:
Spring, well north of the arctic circle. 1975. A small surveying camp sits just south of the Middle Fork of the Koyukuk and Bettles river confluence, among dense forests of spindly spruce trees. Above it, the ramplike prow of Sukakpak mountain dominates. It is a striking, curious and isolated peak south of the Brooks range. A survey team is re-flagging the original pipeline route that was flagged in ’71. There is great urgency, as construction of the North Slope Haul Road has already begun and will reach Atigun pass in less than a month. The route must be clearly marked.

And now a man has died.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

I've created the forum here and made you the Keeper. I'm okay with using 7th edition, though I prefer 6th. I'd like to play the State Trooper.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Mr. Handy wrote:I've created the forum here and made you the Keeper.
Thanks!
Mr. Handy wrote:I'm okay with using 7th edition, though I prefer 6th. I'd like to play the State Trooper.
I'm okay with both 6 and 7, so let's see what the others have to say on this matter! ;)
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by Rooter »

I confess I prefer 7th but am happy either way. I'd like to play the company rep.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

You can head over to the designated forum! I've posted the initial requirements for character backgrounds: viewtopic.php?f=416&t=6044

Mister Ginge is the tie-breaker for system usage, it seems ;)
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Mister Ginge »

This kind of pressure is not good for my sanity. I'm going to go with 7e purely because I have it in a nice hardback edition.

I'll play the pilot. If that's mixed with the state trooper, I'll go for the clueless safety inspector.
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Mister Ginge wrote:This kind of pressure is not good for my sanity. I'm going to go with 7e purely because I have it in a nice hardback edition.

I'll play the pilot. If that's mixed with the state trooper, I'll go for the clueless safety inspector.
7th ed. it is!

The pilot is only mixed with the state trooper if nobody wants to play "just the pilot". So it's up to you. If you want to play a non-pilot role, the state trooper (Mr. Handy) will fly the plane.
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Mister Ginge »

Well if Mr Handy is ok with that, I'd prefer being a clueless safety inspector :?
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by evil_scientist »

Okay!
I will write up the Occupation skill lists!

Also, I dig "Quick Fire" character generation method (page 48 in the rulebook, or in the free Quick-start document), so you can apply that if you want (or go for the standard rules, if you like rolling stats).
evil_scientist
Keeper
Keeper

Re: Sukakpak An atmospheric one shot

Post by evil_scientist »

SlySox wrote:One shot seems fun and ive got a few random rolled characters to test anyways
Hi! This adventure has already finished, sorry! This is an old topic.

Return to “... I'm Thinking Of Running A Game”