Dark Ages (7th rules)

Please post here if you're trying to gauge interest in a NEW game, which you'd like to run on Play@YSDC
Lief Neema
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

Dark Ages (7th rules)

Post by Lief Neema »

I plan to start a scenario in the Dark Ages using the rules of the 7th edition. I have already read the rules of the forum. I have extensive knowledge of the rules of Call of Cthulhu 7th and the Dark Ages. The scenario is historically set in 998 A.D.

There is no need for prior knowledge or reading of the book Call of Cthulhu Dark Ages or some kind of specific historical knowledge. Anyone can join. I need, at least, 3 players.
See my writings on: http://onemanpd.blogspot.com
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Re: Dark Ages (7th rules)

Post by Tabs »

I know absolutely nothing about Dark Ages, so I'm interested! Before I google, is there a quick primer?
Lief Neema
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Lief Neema »

Tabs wrote:I know absolutely nothing about Dark Ages, so I'm interested! Before I google, is there a quick primer?
Do not worry, you will not need prior knowledge. Despite having a historical background, this is not the focus of the game. If you really want to read something on the subject, I indicate the Call of Cthulhu Dark Ages (published by Chaosium). Read only the introduction. The Utilities chapter (beginning on page 53) has a lot of interesting information about the world, cities, and society. This is enough.

Also, if you want to know about the characters, the same book shows the occupations and skills from page 17. I intend to create topics with the summary of some facts (just a few words so that players can immerse in this universe).

[EDIT]
The primer:

The scenario is historically set in 998 A.D. It transports the keeper and the players to the Eastern March of the Germanic Empire, in the thickly wooded hills to the north of Vienna.

The investigators are joining senior Brother Gudman, Brother Drogo, and five warrior monks on a two-week journey from Regensburg to Laa, an outpost on the eastern border of the Germanic Empire. The monks are missionaries sent by the Bishop of Regensburg to try to convert and pacify the heathen Magyars to the east of Laa. The investigators can be soldiers hired to protect the monks, fellow missionaries, Slavic guides, etc. The players should agree to the investigators’ relation to Brother Gudman before play begins; at least one investigator possesses a recommendation letter from the bishop.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Welcome, Lief! I've validated you, so now you can post on the game boards. I'd be interested in playing. I have the Dark Ages book, though those rules are based on 6th edition. There's a new edition of Dark Ages based on 7th edition that's in the works, but a release date has not yet been announced.

When you're ready to start, you can post here with the name of the adventure and a short text blurb describing it, like you'll see for other games on the home page. Then I can create a forum for it and make you the Keeper.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Wolf
Layman
Layman

Post by Wolf »

Im not very versed on the time period, but im interested! Let me know if the game opens
Lief Neema
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Lief Neema »

Mr. Handy wrote:Welcome, Lief! I've validated you, so now you can post on the game boards. I'd be interested in playing. I have the Dark Ages book, though those rules are based on 6th edition. There's a new edition of Dark Ages based on 7th edition that's in the works, but a release date has not yet been announced.

When you're ready to start, you can post here with the name of the adventure and a short text blurb describing it, like you'll see for other games on the home page. Then I can create a forum for it and make you the Keeper.
Yhanks Handy! Thanks for the support. Welcome to the Dark Ages! I heard about the release of the Dark Ages to the 7th edition. For now, I'm going to take inspiration from 6th Dark Age, but I intend to use the rules of the seventh edition.
Wolf wrote:Im not very versed on the time period, but im interested! Let me know if the game opens
Welcome to the Dark Ages! You're in!

I usually play with my country folks through Whatsapp and Telegram and I was thinking of using the same guidelines, so as not to risk the game dying. When we play, we have the following rules:

* A player has up to 48 hours to post a reply (even if it is short).
* An answer have a simple formatation. You can use minus sign (-) to speak and quotation marks ("like this") for thought (also, use a different paragraph for description, another for speech and another for thoughts).
* If a player does not post a reply within 48 hours, the keeper will post it (performing a simple action inspired by character's proposal and personality) and a new 48-hour time limit is initiated for that player.
* If a player goes through a period of inactivity (travel, personal problems or problems with the internet, etc.), he can communicate in the forum, so that his participation is safe.
* If a player does not post or justify within 240 hours (10 days), he will be considered quit and the keeper assumes his role until a new player takes over.

What do you guys think about? We have three people. Can we start the preparations for the game?
Wolf
Layman
Layman

Post by Wolf »

Ok!. You should post the requirements Handy told you about, so you may begin setting up the threads and so.
Lief Neema
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Lief Neema »

Wolf wrote:Ok!. You should post the requirements Handy told you about, so you may begin setting up the threads and so.
I will do that now. I came to see if everything was okay for everyone.

[EDIT]
Also, in time, I thought I needed to send a private message to a moderator, asking him to organize the forum. In that case, do I put the content right here?
Wolf
Layman
Layman

Post by Wolf »

I dont know, i'm quite newbie myself, but from i've seen in other posts you can post the campaign name and description in this very thread, and that'll be enough for an admin to make you a game forum (As Mr Handy Said).I think. Not 100% sure but you can try :~D
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Sounds good to me, though I usually use quotation marks for speech and italics for thought, plus there is the ic-think tag built into the forum that people can use.

You don't need to send me a PM (my PM boxes are getting very full anyway), just posting here will suffice. I am an admin, so I can set up a board for us. Global moderators can do it too, though they usually don't.

You may want to keep an eye on the Absence Thread, which I created years ago. I always post there when I'm going to be away, as I'm in so many games that it would be difficult to post in all of them. I don't have any planned absences until early July, however.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Lief Neema
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Lief Neema »

So let's start! Ah, but first: I decided to use only the book Call of Cthulhu Dark Ages (6th). Using the rules of the seventh edition can make things confusing or provide a lot of material for reading. So, let's just use the rules presented in the Call of Cthulhu Dark Ages book.

As I said earlier, no prior knowledge is required (I intend to create a topic with a summary of the main historical points of that era). But anyone can read this book, except for the chapters The Cthulhu Mythos (74), The Old Grimore (77), Bestiary (97) and The Tomb (124). The Tomb chapter is the scenario we're going to play. Realize that I am not forbidding reading, only that by reading these chapters you can spoil the surprise during the game (although I have changed many of the main elements of the story). Any questions just ask! Here we go.

The Tomb

The year is 998 A.D. Welcome to the Dark Ages. The players are transported to the Eastern March of the Germanic Empire, in the thickly wooded hills to the north of Vienna.

The investigators are joining senior Brother Gudman, Brother Drogo, and five warrior monks on a two-week journey from Regensburg to Laa, an outpost on the eastern border of the Germanic Empire. The monks are missionaries sent by the Bishop of Regensburg to try to convert and pacify the heathen Magyars to the east of Laa.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by Tabs »

...Trying to think up a name...
Lief Neema
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Lief Neema »

Tabs wrote:Image

...Trying to think up a name...
Hey, that's great! Welcome to the Dark Ages. Some sugestions (taken from the Dark Ages book page 17):

Anglo-Saxon Names
MALE: Aelfhere, Aelfred, Aelfric, Aethelstan, Aethelweard, Aethelwulf, Aescwine, Birhtric, Birhtnoth, Caedmon, Centwine, Cenwulf, Cuthbert, Ealdhelm, Earcenbold, Godwine, Hildegils, Leofric, Leofwine, Odda, Offa, Ohthere, Penda, Sigebriht, Wighelm, Wigstan,Wufsige,Wulfstan,Wulfwige.

Old French Names
MALE: Aimeri, Aimon, Aiol, Aleaume, Archembaud, Arnoul, Baudouin, Bruyant, Eustache, Fierbras, Fromondin, Galien, Gilles, Godefroi, Gui, Guibert, Guillaume, Hardouin, Jehan, Julien, Raimon, Raoul, Tancred, Thierry, Yves.

Old High German Names
MALE: Adalbracht, Adalbert, Adaldac, Adelgero, Adam, Addo, Agilwulf, Aistulf, Albwin, Arnolf, Berchhold, Berengar, Bernefrid, Bernhard, Boppo, Buobo, Brun, Bruno, Chuonrad, Eberhart, Everhart, Egilulf, Egbert, Erkanbald, Erhard, Folcbert, Folcmar, Fulco, Fulrad, Folkwin, Friderich, Gisilbert, Gislfred, Giselher, Geseprant, Godfrid, Goslin, Gozlin, Grimoald, Guntbrecht, Gundolfm Guntram, Gundelbert, Griffo, Gundpert, Gunther, Hatto, Heinrich, Herimann, Hermann, Hildulf, Ingo, Hubert, Ribald, Obert, Hugo, Lampert, Landemar, Liutger, Liudolf, Luipold, Lindwin, Liutward, Liutprant, Hlothar, Ldowich, Chlodowech, Mainard, Mainfred, Meginbert, Maginfred, Ozbert, Liutker, Frumolt, Otto, Odo, Odalrich, Ratbodo, Reginbald.

Here are a huge list:

http://www.behindthename.com/names/list
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I've created the forum for us and made you the Keeper. You can find it here.

I prefer 6th edition to 7th, so I'm pleased to use just the Dark Ages book, which I already have.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ajcesq
Layman
Layman

Post by ajcesq »

Lief, count me in!
Lief Neema
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Lief Neema »

ajcesq wrote:Lief, count me in!
Perfect! Welcome to the Dark Ages! I'm creating all the guidelines right now.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 5 months

Post by Silver Priest »

I would like to join, if space is still available.
Lief Neema
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Lief Neema »

Silver Priest wrote:I would like to join, if space is still available.
Alawys avaliable! Welcome to the Dark Ages.

Today I create the topic with some details about the Dark Ages, what need to be understand about how life was like at that time. Tomorrow I'll post all the character creation instructions and a fillable character sheet (it's taking me a long time to create this character sheet, so I did not post today). So we go into more detail about the characters in the appropriate topic.

Return to “... I'm Thinking Of Running A Game”