Curse of Nineveh - London based campaign

Please post here if you're trying to gauge interest in a NEW game, which you'd like to run on Play@YSDC
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Curse of Nineveh - London based campaign

Post by Cearlan »

Hi I'm interested in getting back into the 'Keeping saddle' and thought that The Curse of Nineveh is an excellent campaign to run. Possibly run something from the London box-set as an introduction. 7th Edition would be preferred.

Anyone interested in partaking?
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Re: Curse of Nineveh - London based campaign

Post by Victoria Silverwolf »

Could be worth a try.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

I'm interested in playing. I've heard great things about this campaign. I believe it's Classic Era.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

As ever you are right Mr H. Here is a brief precis of it ...

The Curse of Nineveh is a seven-part campaign for Call of Cthulhu set in London, in the summer of 1925. The investigators find themselves embroiled in the events that surround the return of an expedition from Nineveh and a terrible curse that they brought back with them. They must face ... well I will draw a veil over this here as to carry on might spoil it for prospective players. In the interim though I am thinking od a short investigation set in London to get the platers used to their investigators.

Needless to sayshadowy watchers, a nefarious criminal mastermind and race against time to stop an ancient plan from being the fate of not only London, but the whole British empire is in the balance!

You simply need access to a copy of the Call of Cthulhu 7th edition rulebook to play The Curse of Nineveh. For those without this worthy award winning tome - there is always the quick start rules here;

http://www.chaosium.com/free-quick-start-pdf/
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Excellent. I can access this pdf file, so I would be quite willing to join.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

That's Mr Handy and Victoria Silverwolf so far then - superb!!!
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
bzr101
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 10 years 6 months

Post by bzr101 »

I am interested as well!
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 4 months

Post by Overlord87 »

Would like to join in as well. I need to check if I own the 6th or 7th edition rules, but I'm sure I'll somehow manage either way.
maelstrom
Initiate
Initiate

Post by maelstrom »

I would be interested in a place as well Mr Keeper.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

Right so we have the following five;-

Mr. Handy
Victoria Silverwolf
bzr101
Overlord87 and
maelstrom

@Overlord87 - as I stated above - Chaosium give the quick start rules away free which will cover the mechanics just fine. The rulebook contains other options most of which are listed below;-
  • The most obvious change: characteristics are now rated on a percentile scale (so STR is 3d6 ×5 instead of 3D6). The Resistance Table is gone: you make directly opposed rolls against the relevant characteristics instead. (But now it's easier to do skill vs. characteristic if necessary.)

Luck is now a separate characteristic rather than being based on POW. There's an optional rule which lets you spend points of Luck to adjust the dice result for a skill or characteristic roll.

Damage penalties are reduced for characters with low STR + SIZ totals. The total also gives you a Build value, reflecting mass, which affects your use of melee maneuvers (like tripping, tackling, etc.). This mostly ensures that human investigators can't tackle gigantic monsters.
    Lots and lots of occupations. And each occupation has its own formula for determining starting skill points: you don't just need INT and EDU anymore.

Some "package" options for starting investigators, such as law-enforcement experience, wartime experience... and Cthulhu Mythos experience.

Some new skills added (Appraise, Charm, Intimidate, Survival); some existing skills renamed; a few old skills combined (all the natural weapons plus Knife boiled down into a single Brawl skill); and more details on the use of Credit Rating as a measurement of wealth (and an abstract purchase system).

Skill and characteristic rolls have difficulties: regular difficulty means you need to roll your skill/characteristic value or less as usual, but Hard rolls require you to roll at half value and Extreme rolls require you to roll at one-fifth normal value (like special successes in the original system).

At the Keeper's option, a player can "push" a failed skill or characteristic roll, getting a second opportunity at the cost of greatly worsening the consequences for failure.

Options for bonus or penalty dice on rolls (similar to 5th-edition Dungeons & Dragons' "advantage/disadvantage" mechanic).

In melee combat, you can choose whether to Dodge or use a Fighting skill to fight back: in the latter case, you may damage your attacker if you beat their roll.

EDU is rolled using a base of 2D6+6 (×5, as noted above), rather than the 3D6+3 base it's had in older editions. The percentile EDU score can't exceed 99.

Investigator income and wealth is now tied directly to Credit Rating, rather than being rolled independently. All occupations have suggested Credit Rating ranges (and all can spend points on it).

Aging rules that reduce your physical stats but don't guarantee improvements to EDU.

Characters have differing movement rates (MOV). And these drop with age, too.

There are "backstory" elements, which are descriptive tags for people, places, items, or concepts important to your investigator (a bit like aspects in Fate, but with fewer mechanical effects). You can spend some downtime interacting with an element to regain Sanity, and one selected "key" element can even help you recover from indefinite insanity, but if you suffer a "bout of madness" (see below), the Keeper can alter or erase a backstory element to reflect the effect of your insanity.

More detailed and explicit rules for insanity, with short-term "bout of madness" behavior where you lose control (and the Keeper changes one of your backstory elements), plus longer-term "delusions and reality checks" behavior where the Keeper can lie to you unless you can make a voluntary Sanity roll to determine what's what.

The Sanity rules also note that an investigator who goes temporarily insane takes an involuntary action of the Keeper's choice: they may scream or attack if the party is trying to be stealthy, freeze if they should be doing something, lose a round retching, etc.

A significant change in the magic rules: reduction to zero Magic Points (voluntary or otherwise) no longer knocks you out... but any further MP expenditure or loss comes off your Hit Points instead. Ouch.

Also, a nice "disbelief" option in which you can defer the Sanity loss from reading a Mythos tome until you gain firsthand experience of the Mythos (e.g., lose Sanity from seeing a Mythos creature or spell effect). Of course, taking this approach means that when you do encounter the Mythos for the first time, you lose a whole lot of Sanity at once, in true Lovecraftian-protagonist fashion...

If you only take minor wounds, reaching zero Hit Points just means you're unconscious. If you've taken a Major Wound (a single injury which inflicts half or more of your HP) and reach zero HP, you're dying: you make CON rolls to stay alive, and you can be resuscitated with First Aid skill. If you take more than your HP in a single injury, you're dead.

You also heal faster (1 HP per day of rest) if you haven't suffered a Major Wound: if you have, you need to make a CON roll each week to get the 1D3 HP of healing that happened automatically in previous editions (but an Extreme success lets you heal 2D3).
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I've taken the liberty of creating a forum for the game here and making you the Keeper now that we have several players.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

Thanks for that Mr H.

Will look at that tomorrow morning (on late shift this week)
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 11 months

Post by CrackheadC. »

I'd be interested, What is your planned pace for the game?
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

Glad to have you aboard buddy. Looking for about the same level as your HotOE game, i.e. maybe one or two posts
a week.

What sort of characters does everyone have in mind? It may be an idea if e everyone had some commonality ( thinking ahead for replacement investigators,but I'll be happy to find another way round things as and when they arise).
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I'm thinking of playing a librarian who dreams of a life of adventure.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
bzr101
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 10 years 6 months

Post by bzr101 »

I would like to play a drifter, if possible, if allowed or if wanted.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

I generally let the dice determine the basic characteristics for me before deciding on what type of character I am going to play. (Even when, as this edition states, I am free to arrange the numbers for them however I please, I prefer to shuffle them at random.) So I'll wait and see.
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 11 months

Post by CrackheadC. »

I'm thinking more academic or bookish for mine. Something along the lines of an Occultist, Antiquarian, or Historian.
Cotton
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 2 months

Post by Cotton »

I'd be interested if there is any room left in the game?
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 4 months

Post by Overlord87 »

Will work on the character during the weekend, at the moment I have no idea :D

Return to “... I'm Thinking Of Running A Game”