Page 1 of 1

7th Edition Campaign: Horror on the Orient Express

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:07 am
by CrackheadC.
EDIT: For new people coming into the thread, I am running Horror on the Orient Express in 7th edition. Recruitment will be locked at 8 players. There are currently 7.

I've been toying with the idea of starting a 7th edition game as I now own a fair bit of the materials. Knowledge of the new edition isn't necessary (any changes will be pointed out and explained as needed).

I'm looking for player input mostly - I'm only looking for 2-6 players max, the game would be a slightly slower pace - likely only 2 updates a week and only more if I have a lot of free time or it is a simple update, due to starting grad school.

I own two full campaigns in 7th edition: The Horror on the Orient Express and The Curse of Nineveh (campaign that I would use Cthulhu Britannica London source with). These would require the most prepwork for me and would likely start later.

I also have an idea of letting the players simply make an Investigator Organization that I could have scenario / story hooks come though and run various modules I have in a sort of pseudo-campaign (like Mr. Handy runs for his Dr Who game). This has the added benefit of easily allowing new players to join / existing players to replace characters. An example of an Investigator Organization may be something like Atwight Publishing: World's Creepiest Tales - an tabloid / magazine for strange and creepy stories with staff that sometimes does investigations into various leads.

So if there is enough interest we can use this thread to decide what kind of game you guys would like (full campaign, psuedo-campaign, a simple one-shot - a one shot wouldn't require much thought at all) - and if you'd like I can do a mini write-up for all the different modules I am willing to run, and if you want a potential continuing psuedo-campaign we can hammer out some investigator ideas and how they might fit together in an organization etc.

Re: 7th Edition Scenarios / Campaign brainstorm

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:14 am
by CrackheadC.
I also realized I can run the organized play campaign chaosium has released called A Time to Harvest. The final episode releases next month, but I have the first 5 episodes.

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:39 am
by Mr. Handy
I'd like to play. I'm more familiar with 6th edition, which is what I have, but I know a bit about 7th and can learn the rest. My preference is for a full campaign, and my first choice would be Horror on the Orient Express. I've been itching to play that. Years ago I played in part of the original edition of it on this site, but the Keeper disappeared and it died. I've been exposed to some spoilers, but I probably don't remember most of them by now. The only part I really played in was the Venice side mission to help Maria, not any of the main campaign.

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:30 pm
by CrackheadC.
Horror on the Orient Express is possible. I have the new updated copy that went out through kickstarter and has a couple extra scenarios. If we were to do HotOE, I will need more time to adequately prep it.

Edit: Player foreknowledge or having played the scenario in part or whole before doesn't bother me. As long as Player and character knowledge is kept separate I don't care.

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:03 pm
by Laraqua
They actually released that campaign? I signed up for it but could never seem to find it.

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:06 pm
by CrackheadC.
Yeah, it took a long time, but it is out. It's actually on Chaosium's website now too. I only just got the 7th Edition books the other day, I was part of the 2nd wave of shipments.

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:45 pm
by CrackheadC.
Upon further reading, I'll begin running the Horror on the Orient Express campaign if there is enough interest. From what I've read so far, this is a particularly deadly campaign so within the confines of the game we may have 1 or two relevant house rules if necessary. That being said, HotOE is not quite the sandbox that Masks of Nyarlathotep is - there is an expected path to be taken (the train) and while deviance from that path is possible to a degree, players will have to be willing to work with me if they come to a point where they can no longer justify their character continuing the adventure.

Note that this is a VERY long campaign that will be broken up into many different scenarios in different time periods. The main story will be taking place in the classic era, but the campaign will start with a Gaslight scenario as a prequel. There will also be some Dreamlands, Dark Ages, Invictus, and potentially Modern scenarios.

Here is a taste of the first scenario that I'll be recruiting for.

Horror on the Orient Express (episode one):
The Blood Red Fez - Gaslight Cthulhu
Thirty years before a rag-tag group's fate, (and possibly that of the world's), became linked to the luxurious Orient Express and the dark trail it rides, a group of investigators get caught up in a nefarious plot surrounding an unassuming, yet deadly artifact.

Again, I will be looking for 2-6 players to start. Knowledge of 7th edition is unnecessary. The first episode's only character requirements will be a link to the London Oriental Club, or to a Professor Julius Arthur Smith. (All this explained in a future character creation thread.

Players:
1. MrHandy
2. Victoria Silverwolf
3. Tabs
4. Maelstrom
5. DrPeterson
6. Radionausea
7. Cearlon
8. ??

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:28 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
I guess I could give this a try. Any kind of character is fine.

Re: 7th Edition Campaign: Horror on the Orient Express

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:12 pm
by CrackheadC.
Great to have you aboard Victoria. We can discuss character generation when we actually have a board for it. Or were you saying that you would prefer that I create a character for you?

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:23 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
CrackheadC. wrote:Great to have you aboard Victoria. We can discuss character generation when we actually have a board for it. Or were you saying that you would prefer that I create a character for you?

Either way.

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:14 am
by Mr. Handy
Excellent! When you're ready, please let me know by posting here, and I can create a forum for it.

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:01 pm
by Tabs
I'd like to play. ...Cripes, I just remembered that I did play HotOE ages ago, here on Play@YSDC--I don't remember a Gaslight scenario though.

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:52 pm
by CrackheadC.
Welcome aboard Tabs!

The Gaslight scenario is new to HotOE 2nd edition, you can run it early on during the classic era stuff, but I think it works better as a prequel for foreshadowing etc.

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:49 am
by Mr. Handy
Tabs wrote:I'd like to play. ...Cripes, I just remembered that I did play HotOE ages ago, here on Play@YSDC--I don't remember a Gaslight scenario though.
Yes, that's the same game I played in. I remember you were Frank Drebin (the reporter, not the lieutenant from Police Squad ;) ). I played walking scandal Felicity Hayward, but our characters never met because I joined after you had left. If they had met, she'd have given him plenty of juicy material for stories. They could meet yet, as I plan on playing her again from the beginning when we get to the Classic era. For the Gaslight scenario, I intend to play her uncle, a wealthy playboy.

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:03 am
by Tabs
Oh yeah! I used the Police Squad actor's photo too. Good God, that must've been 5 yrs ago. Perhaps I'll resuscitate him for the Gaslight scenario?

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:41 pm
by CrackheadC.
All that would be possible. In fact, surviving investigators from the Gaslight scenario could conceivably be Classic investigators if they can make it through the 30 years between.

Mr Handy if you could make the board in one of the sections, I don't know if you want to put it in Gaslight and we can just shift it around depending on the current scenario, put it in Classic since that is the majority, or simply put it in Other Settings.

Horror on the Orient Express

"Welcome aboard the legendary and luxurious Simplon-Orient Express. Our experienced staff and lavish facilities can fulfill your every need as your travel in style across Europe. Dine on food on par with the greatest of restaurants. Enjoy a stiff drink and world class entertainment in the salon car. Rub shoulders with the elite. Rest and relax in our world-famous sleeping cars. Help solve a continent spanning threat while surviving the horrific onslaught of a dark and uncaring world, all aboard the Orient Express!"

I won't be able to fill it out with the beginning info until late Saturday as I have to drive my brother up to Canada later tonight.

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:38 am
by Mr. Handy
I've created the board here. I decided to put it in the Classic Era, as that is the setting for the main campaign. Whenever we need a subforum to archive part of the campaign, such as after finishing The Blood-Red Fez, I can create it.

I'm fine with waiting until Saturday night. I'll have more time from that point onwards to create a character, and maybe we'll also pick up more players by then.

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:19 am
by Tabs
Me too--about waiting 'til Saturday.

Re. my characters, I'm thinking of doing the opposite to Mr. Handy with Sylvia Ward in the Gaslight era and her son or nephew in Classic era. How about Victoria?

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:26 pm
by maelstrom
If there is still room aboard I would like to join up for the mayhem and madness that is sure to follow ;)

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:08 pm
by CrackheadC.
There is still room, welcome aboard maelstrom!

Just got into my motel. Debating sleeping and making the 10 hour drive back tonight or waiting til morning.

Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:47 pm
by CrackheadC.
I'm back in the states. Just spent 30+ minutes typing out the character creation thread and rules only to lose it all because I apparently wasn't logged in. I'll be posting the thread later as I am a bit aggravated at the moment.

Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:29 pm
by Tabs
:!: Many is the time I've lost work. Anything long, save it by submitting part way through--that's what I do.

Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:11 pm
by Mr. Handy
I also always copy my text to the clipboard before I submit or preview it, just in case, and I often preview partway through a long post to prevent losing the text. If it takes you a very long time to type a post before submitting it, your session can timeout so that you have to log in again when you click the Submit button. I think the timeout is an hour, but it can happen with very long posts or if you get interrupted.

Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:25 pm
by CrackheadC.
Yeah, I must have timed out while doing it.

Character Creation Thread is up here: viewtopic.php?f=389&t=5800
I'll add an OOC thread and later some background info.

We'll move all game discussion there and leave this thread for any new players that wish to join. As it stands we have 4 players: Mr. Handy, Victoria Silverwolf, Tabs, and Maelstrom.

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:20 am
by DrPeterson
Make that five.

I've playtested 7th, so that should work :)

Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:13 am
by radionausea
I'm definitely interested in joining in if there's room. I think I need to have my account validated first though.

Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:13 am
by Dave Syrinx
Consider the validation process completed! 8-)

Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:12 am
by radionausea
Thank you Dave!

Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:27 am
by CrackheadC.
Thanks dave and welcome aboard radio

Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:02 pm
by Cearlan
Hi there - I too would be enamored by the prospect or joining such a fine band of investigators, for good or ill.

Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:18 pm
by CrackheadC.
Cearlan, you're welcome to head over to the character creation thread and get started.

Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:30 pm
by Bobario
Hi, are you still looking for players for this campaign? I would like to join if its at all possible.

Bobario

Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:46 pm
by CrackheadC.
I can get you in if you're interested. Head over to the character creation and OOC thread on the board and you can get started.

Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:14 pm
by alazred
Hi all!

I would like to join if possible. I'm pretty new to all this and would like to get the hang of creating a character from scratch. So if there's still an opportunity to join I would be happy to be in!

Thx

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:46 am
by CrackheadC.
Alazred, You are welcome to join and I will help you create a character, but I must warn you that this is a particularly leisurely/slow paced game as it has to work around my graduate school schedule (as much as I'd like to post nonstop, unfortunately academia cannot be ignored). As long as you are willing to put up with the pace you can join up. I also have a point in mind for you to join which while very soon storywise, may take time to get to during PbP gaming.

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:39 pm
by alazred
I'ts not a problem the pace. I also am in an other game with Mr.Handy so ill have enough to deal with with two games. You can pm me with the details for the character that should suit the story best. I got my hand on a copy of the invertigator handbook. And I'm reading it.

Thanks for letting me join.

Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:48 pm
by krzyspmac
Are all the available spots filled? Always wanted to try the Orient Express :)