7th Edition Campaign: Horror on the Orient Express

Please post here if you're trying to gauge interest in a NEW game, which you'd like to run on Play@YSDC
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 11 months

7th Edition Campaign: Horror on the Orient Express

Post by CrackheadC. »

EDIT: For new people coming into the thread, I am running Horror on the Orient Express in 7th edition. Recruitment will be locked at 8 players. There are currently 7.

I've been toying with the idea of starting a 7th edition game as I now own a fair bit of the materials. Knowledge of the new edition isn't necessary (any changes will be pointed out and explained as needed).

I'm looking for player input mostly - I'm only looking for 2-6 players max, the game would be a slightly slower pace - likely only 2 updates a week and only more if I have a lot of free time or it is a simple update, due to starting grad school.

I own two full campaigns in 7th edition: The Horror on the Orient Express and The Curse of Nineveh (campaign that I would use Cthulhu Britannica London source with). These would require the most prepwork for me and would likely start later.

I also have an idea of letting the players simply make an Investigator Organization that I could have scenario / story hooks come though and run various modules I have in a sort of pseudo-campaign (like Mr. Handy runs for his Dr Who game). This has the added benefit of easily allowing new players to join / existing players to replace characters. An example of an Investigator Organization may be something like Atwight Publishing: World's Creepiest Tales - an tabloid / magazine for strange and creepy stories with staff that sometimes does investigations into various leads.

So if there is enough interest we can use this thread to decide what kind of game you guys would like (full campaign, psuedo-campaign, a simple one-shot - a one shot wouldn't require much thought at all) - and if you'd like I can do a mini write-up for all the different modules I am willing to run, and if you want a potential continuing psuedo-campaign we can hammer out some investigator ideas and how they might fit together in an organization etc.
Last edited by CrackheadC. on Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Re: 7th Edition Scenarios / Campaign brainstorm

Post by CrackheadC. »

I also realized I can run the organized play campaign chaosium has released called A Time to Harvest. The final episode releases next month, but I have the first 5 episodes.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

I'd like to play. I'm more familiar with 6th edition, which is what I have, but I know a bit about 7th and can learn the rest. My preference is for a full campaign, and my first choice would be Horror on the Orient Express. I've been itching to play that. Years ago I played in part of the original edition of it on this site, but the Keeper disappeared and it died. I've been exposed to some spoilers, but I probably don't remember most of them by now. The only part I really played in was the Venice side mission to help Maria, not any of the main campaign.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

Horror on the Orient Express is possible. I have the new updated copy that went out through kickstarter and has a couple extra scenarios. If we were to do HotOE, I will need more time to adequately prep it.

Edit: Player foreknowledge or having played the scenario in part or whole before doesn't bother me. As long as Player and character knowledge is kept separate I don't care.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Laraqua »

They actually released that campaign? I signed up for it but could never seem to find it.
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

Yeah, it took a long time, but it is out. It's actually on Chaosium's website now too. I only just got the 7th Edition books the other day, I was part of the 2nd wave of shipments.
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

Upon further reading, I'll begin running the Horror on the Orient Express campaign if there is enough interest. From what I've read so far, this is a particularly deadly campaign so within the confines of the game we may have 1 or two relevant house rules if necessary. That being said, HotOE is not quite the sandbox that Masks of Nyarlathotep is - there is an expected path to be taken (the train) and while deviance from that path is possible to a degree, players will have to be willing to work with me if they come to a point where they can no longer justify their character continuing the adventure.

Note that this is a VERY long campaign that will be broken up into many different scenarios in different time periods. The main story will be taking place in the classic era, but the campaign will start with a Gaslight scenario as a prequel. There will also be some Dreamlands, Dark Ages, Invictus, and potentially Modern scenarios.

Here is a taste of the first scenario that I'll be recruiting for.

Horror on the Orient Express (episode one):
The Blood Red Fez - Gaslight Cthulhu
Thirty years before a rag-tag group's fate, (and possibly that of the world's), became linked to the luxurious Orient Express and the dark trail it rides, a group of investigators get caught up in a nefarious plot surrounding an unassuming, yet deadly artifact.

Again, I will be looking for 2-6 players to start. Knowledge of 7th edition is unnecessary. The first episode's only character requirements will be a link to the London Oriental Club, or to a Professor Julius Arthur Smith. (All this explained in a future character creation thread.

Players:
1. MrHandy
2. Victoria Silverwolf
3. Tabs
4. Maelstrom
5. DrPeterson
6. Radionausea
7. Cearlon
8. ??
Last edited by CrackheadC. on Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:25 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Post by Victoria Silverwolf »

I guess I could give this a try. Any kind of character is fine.
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Re: 7th Edition Campaign: Horror on the Orient Express

Post by CrackheadC. »

Great to have you aboard Victoria. We can discuss character generation when we actually have a board for it. Or were you saying that you would prefer that I create a character for you?
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Victoria Silverwolf »

CrackheadC. wrote:Great to have you aboard Victoria. We can discuss character generation when we actually have a board for it. Or were you saying that you would prefer that I create a character for you?

Either way.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Excellent! When you're ready, please let me know by posting here, and I can create a forum for it.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by Tabs »

I'd like to play. ...Cripes, I just remembered that I did play HotOE ages ago, here on Play@YSDC--I don't remember a Gaslight scenario though.
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

Welcome aboard Tabs!

The Gaslight scenario is new to HotOE 2nd edition, you can run it early on during the classic era stuff, but I think it works better as a prequel for foreshadowing etc.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Tabs wrote:I'd like to play. ...Cripes, I just remembered that I did play HotOE ages ago, here on Play@YSDC--I don't remember a Gaslight scenario though.
Yes, that's the same game I played in. I remember you were Frank Drebin (the reporter, not the lieutenant from Police Squad ;) ). I played walking scandal Felicity Hayward, but our characters never met because I joined after you had left. If they had met, she'd have given him plenty of juicy material for stories. They could meet yet, as I plan on playing her again from the beginning when we get to the Classic era. For the Gaslight scenario, I intend to play her uncle, a wealthy playboy.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Oh yeah! I used the Police Squad actor's photo too. Good God, that must've been 5 yrs ago. Perhaps I'll resuscitate him for the Gaslight scenario?
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

All that would be possible. In fact, surviving investigators from the Gaslight scenario could conceivably be Classic investigators if they can make it through the 30 years between.

Mr Handy if you could make the board in one of the sections, I don't know if you want to put it in Gaslight and we can just shift it around depending on the current scenario, put it in Classic since that is the majority, or simply put it in Other Settings.

Horror on the Orient Express

"Welcome aboard the legendary and luxurious Simplon-Orient Express. Our experienced staff and lavish facilities can fulfill your every need as your travel in style across Europe. Dine on food on par with the greatest of restaurants. Enjoy a stiff drink and world class entertainment in the salon car. Rub shoulders with the elite. Rest and relax in our world-famous sleeping cars. Help solve a continent spanning threat while surviving the horrific onslaught of a dark and uncaring world, all aboard the Orient Express!"

I won't be able to fill it out with the beginning info until late Saturday as I have to drive my brother up to Canada later tonight.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I've created the board here. I decided to put it in the Classic Era, as that is the setting for the main campaign. Whenever we need a subforum to archive part of the campaign, such as after finishing The Blood-Red Fez, I can create it.

I'm fine with waiting until Saturday night. I'll have more time from that point onwards to create a character, and maybe we'll also pick up more players by then.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Me too--about waiting 'til Saturday.

Re. my characters, I'm thinking of doing the opposite to Mr. Handy with Sylvia Ward in the Gaslight era and her son or nephew in Classic era. How about Victoria?
maelstrom
Initiate
Initiate

Post by maelstrom »

If there is still room aboard I would like to join up for the mayhem and madness that is sure to follow ;)
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

There is still room, welcome aboard maelstrom!

Just got into my motel. Debating sleeping and making the 10 hour drive back tonight or waiting til morning.

Return to “... I'm Thinking Of Running A Game”