Trail of Cthulhu - Eternal Lies

Please post here if you're trying to gauge interest in a NEW game, which you'd like to run on Play@YSDC
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 4 months

Trail of Cthulhu - Eternal Lies

Post by Overlord87 »

So, hello everyone, I've just recently came to the forum. While I wait for a new game to start, I was thinking of starting my own project, and see if I can find enough people interested. There's a campaign I've been wanting to run for quite some time, but haven't had the chance so far due to many reasons. I'ts the Eternal Lies campaign published by Pelgrane Press for Trail of Cthulhu. It's a massive campaign, but a very nice one with an epic feeling and many disturbing mysteries to uncover. I would run it with the Trail of Cthulhu system, mainly because it was designed for that, but also because I like it a lot for investigative adventures. It is a very simple system, so anyone can jump in even without any previous experience.

i would be looking for 3-6 players. No previous knowledge of the game system is required. At the same time, I'd want all players to not have any previous knowledge of the campaign.

Additional informations can be found here: http://pelgranepress.com/index.php/eternal-lies/

Trail of Cthulhu quick start rules: http://www.pelgranepress.com/trail/file ... _rules.pdf

I'm available if anyone has questions. Well then, hope to have a positive feedback :D
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: Trail of Cthulhu - Eternal Lies

Post by Mr. Handy »

I'm definitely interested! :D I've heard great things about this campaign, but they were also vague and devoid of spoilers, so I don't have any prior knowledge.

When you're ready to start, you can post here with a short text blurb for the game like you'll see for the games on the home page. Then I can set up a forum for it.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Will do, thank you :D I'll start the preparations once we reach a number of 3 people interested.
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Uhm, not many views. Perhaps I should have advertised the game with something like "naked women inside" :D

Anyway, two more people needed. Come on guys :D The campaign is a blast, I can guarantee for that. The system is simple and you can jump in even without any previous experience - all you need are the quickstart rules. And while I know it's a massive campaign, I'm determined to see this project to conclusion... if we manage to get it going. Come on, come on ;)
Last edited by Overlord87 on Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I'm sure there will be more interest. Many people don't get on much during the weekend. I, on the other hand, don't have much time during the week, so the weekend is usually when I post more. Also, it's only been a couple of days so far.

You might also want to advertise for players in the Conventions, Meetings & Greetings forum on Yog-Sothoth.com. It'll get more views there, and some players may come here if you post a link to this thread there. There has been discussion of Eternal Lies on Yoggie, and a lot of interest in it.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Thank you for the advice, will try that :D
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

Post by carnage_lee »

Hi Overlord87 - welcome to the forums. Your taking on a hefty campaign! I think your ambition ought to be supported, so count me in. I didn't listen along to the audio run-through on YSDC, nor own the campaign so I too only know this in a 'general' way. Anyway, I'd be glad to hop on board if you'll have me.
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Yes, welcome aboard :D It's a massive campaign, but I've studied it thoroughly and I'll try my best ;)
Ghostadventureland
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 10 years 5 months

Post by Ghostadventureland »

Hi there, just picked this thread up notification in my email.

I'm interested in taking part in this campaign too, as I've heard good things about it, but need to know a few things first.

I haven't actually tried 'play by post' before so intrigued to know how it actually works. I play CoC alot with my main group on Sunday's and some ToC on Monday's, so very familiar with CoC and mildly familiar with ToC.

How often are we expected to 'play' or post?

If you could get back to me that would be appreciated.

Cheers, D
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Hello there :D If you're new to play by forum, the first thing I suggest is checking out a game of two in this forum to get a general feeling of how it works. It is a different experience from playing live with friends, but it is interesting nonetheless. You don't "act" your character in person, but there's more space for thoughts and feelings. The pace is relatively slow, but this is not necessarily a bad thing.

Regarding the frequency of posts, from my experience this changes from group to group. I personally prefer things to move at a good pace (let's say one post per day on average), but I'll fix my pace according to what is comfortable for everyone. Since you usually need for all people to participate to action, the pace naturally tends to accomodate itself as you wait for all to post.

As a minimum, I'd keep a number of 3 posts per week on average from each player. It is a very long campaign, so a minimum of frequency is required.
Ghostadventureland
Layman
Layman

Hey there Overlord,

Yep, I'll be sure to take a look at the previous posts of games that are out there to get a handle on how it works.

I think I'm confident at the moment that I can post at least once a day, happy to go with the flow and see what suit's you and the other players. I'm used to running as well as participating in games so this should be straight forward to play, I hope.

I'm quick to learn so hopefully get to grips with it fast.

Is everything done through this forum then? no emails or anything else going on?
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Yes, everything is done by the forum. Usually on the topics, occasionally via private message. So, can I count you in?
Ghostadventureland
Layman
Layman

Sure, count me in. I'll have a look at the forum properly over the next few days. When do you hope to start? I don't mind waiting until you and the other players are ready.
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

I plan on starting in 7-10 days. I'll keep the recruitment open another week or so and see if we can find at least a fourth player. Four would be the ideal number, but three is fine (as is five or six, in case). In the meanwhile, we can start defining the Investigators.

We'll need the forum up for this, anyway. For the descriptive text, I'd go with something simple like: "A decade ago, a band of occult investigators battled against the summoning of an ancient and monstrous evil. They failed. Now you must piece together the puzzle and finish what they could not. The stakes are high, and so is the price to pay. Can you do it?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I've created the forum and made you the Keeper. You can find it here.

I'll be away at a convention from Friday-Sunday and probably won't have time to post until late on Sunday, but I may be able to get my character ready before I leave.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Ok, I have created the topic to discuss the character creation. Everyone can head there for a start ;)
TheLibrarian
Layman
Layman

Post by TheLibrarian »

I have not played Trail before, and don't own any of the rulebooks, but I am still keen to play, if possible!
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

TheLibrarian wrote:I have not played Trail before, and don't own any of the rulebooks, but I am still keen to play, if possible!
Yes, it's possibile ;) Do you have any previous experience of play-by-forum?
TheLibrarian
Layman
Layman

Post by TheLibrarian »

No experience of Trail, but I have played other systems by forum, and have been reading a few of the other games here to get a feel for how it works,
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Ok TheLibrarian, you're in ;) Head for the game forum (linked above by Mr.Handy) and start by posting in the Investigator Creation Topic. At first choose a general concept for the character, a profession and a drive. We'll start from there. If you have questions about a specific profession or drive that is not explained in the quickstart rules, just let me know and I'll answer them ;)

Return to “... I'm Thinking Of Running A Game”