No Man's Land (possible 7e campaign start)

Please post here if you're trying to gauge interest in a NEW game, which you'd like to run on Play@YSDC
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 11 months

No Man's Land (possible 7e campaign start)

Post by CrackheadC. »

Setting
The Great War

The year is 1918. For four years Europe has been locked in the throes of the Great War, the most devastating conflict in history. Technical innovations in artillery, air power, chemical warfare, and automatic weapons have changed the face of battle. When industrial mass production, universal conscription, and staunch adherence to Napoleonic Era military theory were added to the mix, they created the Western Front: a Hell on Earth where literally millions of soldiers have fed the war's hunger for blood. Far more died on the fields of the Western Front than men: a world was ending. The scale of this new War, and its barbarity, are staggering; at the battle of the Somme, which raged from July to November 1916, the British lost 60,000 soldiers in the first day, and total casualties for the offensive ran over a million men. As historian A.J.P. Taylor put it, "The war ceased to have a purpose and went on for its own sake, as a contest of endurance."

The arrogant optimism that had inflamed the West following the industrial revolution, the idea that progress, technology, and enlightenment had raised Man (white man in particular) to the mastery of the world and a state of near divinity is dead, gassed and shelled into oblivion. The cream of Europe's youth learned first hand just how far civilization could fall.

---------------------------------------

This is a preliminary interest check in the No Man's Land module game. This module throws players into the roles of members of the Lost Battalion in the Meuse-Argonne Offensive during the final stages of the war. This would be my first time keeping and I am considering running this as the starting adventure of a larger campaign as I think WWI is an important part of most CoC investigators' lives and this module has a good (if not deadly) introduction to mythos. On top of that it is simple enough and not ran very often, so it's a better option for my first game than another "Haunting" scenario.

I want to run the game and campaign on 7th edition rules, so I need to update the module a little - less for the rules and more because I believe it is unnecessarily deadly and sanity-check heavy because it was for tournament play. 7th edition has a bit of a focus on organizations (as a means of keeping the group together as well as allowing an easy in for future investigators) and I think this module would be a good way to allow survivors to organically create that sort of group post-war.

The number of players doesn't matter too much - but the more players the less cannon fodder I might have to run in the squad.

Let me know what you think/if you might be interested/if you have any advice or experience with this particular module.
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 9 months

Re: No Man's Land (possible 7e campaign start)

Post by Supercape »

I dont know 7th Ed rules but if you can work with that, I'll join! :)
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

That's okay, you can find a basic overview here in the quickstart rules for free: http://www.chaosium.com/call-of-cthulhu ... rules-pdf/

I'll post more detailed information later, but honestly not a huge amount has changed from the basics that you'd be familiar with from any other edition. When differences come up, I'll be sure to mention it.
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by DrPeterson »

I'd be very interested to play!
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Reporting for duty!

I'm familiar with 6th edition, though I'm sure I can manage.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

The biggest differences between 6th and 7th that I can see are:

Characteristics:
All Characteristics are now percentile. For example: I am rolling for my STR and roll a 15. I multiply that by 5 and my STR total is 75. You will also have 1/2 and 1/5 scored recorded (37 and 15 in this case). Think of 1/2 as hard and 1/5 as extreme in terms of success or necessity. So let's say I want to break down a door. This door is a cheap plywood - I might need a regular str roll (75 and under). It's a sturdy oak door - I might need a hard str roll (37 and under). The door is metal - I need an extreme one (15 and under).

The Resistance Table is gone. You are now rolling against each other. Whoever has the highest degree of success wins. Example: Mr. Handy and I are fighting. Mr. Handy has an 80% in brawling and I have a 40% in Brawling. He attacks me and I fight back (instead of trying to dodge). Mr. Handy rolls a 60% and that is a regular success (40%- is hard and 16%- is extreme). I roll a 15% - a hard success (one level better than his success). I hurt Mr. Handy even though he was trying to hurt me on his turn.

Pushed Rolls:
Essentially like so - Let's go back to our cheap plywood door I was opening. Let's say I rolled a 90% and failed, but I still really want or need to open that door. I can try again if I can justify what I'm doing differently with this try to deserve a second chance. Say I want to push this roll and I say I am going to use a crowbar to help pry it open. I get another shot (at a hard success 37%). If I pass I do what I want. HOWEVER: If you fail a pushed roll something bad happens. So let's say I try to open that door with that crowbar and I fail, maybe I broke my crowbar or I thrashed the lock so now someone who was going to try to pick it next can't even do that.

Bonus or Penalty die: (usually on opposed rolls)
Now if there is something extremely negative or beneficial to your roll you get a bonus or penalty added to your roll - usually you will roll the 10's dice twice and take the higher or lower dice depending on if it is a penalty or a bonus. For example, I am wearing my metal boots (that I own for totally normal reasons?) and decide I need to sneak up on someone, well I might get a penalty to my stealth (meaning I take the higher of the two 10's rolls) and the person im sneaking up on might get a bonus to their listening (they take the lower of 2 ten's rolls).

Optional Luck rule (that I kinda like)
Luck is now like Sanity in that it can increase or decrease. You may SPEND luck to alter your die rolls at a 1-1 basis for skills. This is deducted from your total Luck and thus reduces your chance for passing luck rolls in the future (it also can't be used on pushed rolls and successes made with luck are just that - luck - so you don't get a skill tick.) For example: I have 50 luck. I need to shoot a cultist and roll a 45%. 5% away from my 40% firearms skill! I really need to hit this cultist, so I spend 5 luck points to hit him. My luck goes down by 5, it now is 45.

There are some minor changes to how madness is handled now that I can post later.

Okay so far we have three interested people which is great.
The module does take place in a warzone so...
We can do two things - if we get more (maybe up to 5 players) everyone will just have 1 character and if they die they can take over an NPC (and/or wait until a point later in the game to come in with a new character)
However, if this is alright with everyone and we end up with less than 5 people, everyone will roll 2 characters, choose a primary character and leave your "back-up" in my safe hands until you need them (in the case of your primary's demise or mental break).

Let me know what you think.

Edit: Here is a quick and dirty 5 videos to give you the skinny on the new edition via the quickstart. All the videos are only 3 minutes and I believe that is a co-writer of the new rules. You can ignore the characteristics part that he states for creation. You will roll characters so not everyone is generic and the same.
Link: http://blasphemoustomes.com/videos/
Last edited by CrackheadC. on Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

It's only taken a few hours to get three players. I don't think we'll have any problem getting at least two more, so the first option looks better.

I don't see any videos (or links to them).
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

Ah! I put the edit in and forgot to put the link, it's here, and I'll edit it into the other. http://blasphemoustomes.com/videos/
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

I'll leave this open until August 1st. After that I'd like to go with however many players we have.
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

Are you guys good to go with 3 players? If so and I can get a board setup I'll get some character creation stuff going.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I'm ready to start, though if more players do show up that's even better. I've created the forum here.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

Great, I have a buddy who expressed interest. I'll have them post here so they can get posting privileges. I'll have character creation and Other chat posted tomorrow.

Return to “... I'm Thinking Of Running A Game”