Strange Remnants

Please post here if you're trying to gauge interest in a NEW game, which you'd like to run on Play@YSDC
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Strange Remnants

Post by Tabs »

Someday the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
–H. P. Lovecraft, The Call of Cthulhu

Fantasy Flight Games is proud to announce the upcoming release of Strange Remnants, an expansion for the Lovecraftian board game Eldritch Horror.

Throughout the world lie the ancient ruins of massive stone monuments built by lost civilizations, ruins which conceal the dark secrets necessary to save the planet from a terrible fate. In Strange Remnants, you and your fellow investigators must travel to these uncanny landmarks and piece together their uncanny mysteries before time runs out and the entire Earth is devoured. The Ancient One at the heart of Strange Remnants is no monster from another dimension or creature from the deep. In this expansion, your enemy is the Syzygy, a deadly alignment of the planets. In other words, you must fight the universe itself.

Hi, I'm looking for 1-2 players to join myself and Mr. Handy to play Strange Remnants when it is released soon. IMPORTANT: you must be able to log on every day and post over a period of a couple of months. Knowing the board game is unimportant, but you must spend an hour reading the rules and be prepared to ask lots of questions at the start.

We've already completed two pbp games, see Forsaken Lore and Mountains of Madness at the end of this forum.

Preview of the Investigators of Strange Remnants: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/n ... dangerous/

Quatermass
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 13 years

Re: Strange Remnants

Post by Quatermass »

I would be interested in joining. I have the game and have played it several times.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Great! Quatermass, pleased you wanna play. We'll start when Strange Remnants is in the shops. Hopefully soon. Any questions? post here: viewtopic.php?f=316&t=5501

No more players, thanks.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

I'm really looking forward to this! Note that I will be away on August 8-15. I'll have my laptop and should still have Internet access and be able to post on most days, though not on August 8 beyond early afternoon or August 15 at all, as those are the days of my flights.

The release date for Strange Remnants is tomorrow, July 28, at least in America. It might be later in the UK. I preordered it at a good discount from CoolStuffInc, along with Shades of Tezla (the new expansion for the Mage Knight board game), the Voyage of the Beagle expansion for Robinson Crusoe, and Mansions of Madness. I had never bought Mansions of Madness before because it was not playable solo, but the Call of the Wild expansion has a fully cooperative variant I can play by myself, and I recently found that at half price ($30 instead of $60). I had missed my chance to get Mansions of Madness for half price ($40 instead of $80) during Chaosium's sale, as it had been sold out by the time I found out about the sale, less than two hours after it started. CoolStuffInc has it for $55, which probably isn't much more than I would have paid if I had gotten it from Chaosium when you consider the shipping they'd have charged for it. My games won't ship until all preorders are in stock. Shades of Tezla was supposed to be released on July 29, but it may have been delayed until August 14.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

I didn't know there is a solo expansion for Mansions. I sold the base game because no one wanted to play. :( Robinson Crusoe is one I thought about getting, the Beagle expansion looks so cool! Mage Knight: I've heard it's good solo but the theme doesn't do it for me. Tell me if you enjoy 'em.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Mage Knight is awesome! It's my favorite board game, and I've played it a lot. The Lost Legion expansion adds so much to the game, and I still haven't tried some of the scenarios in it or played as the new Mage Knight that comes with it. I also got the Krang character expansion, but I haven't played as him yet. It's a lot of fun solo, and I also once got the chance to play a great three player game with Job and Taokan a few years ago. I got my butt kicked, but I started making a comeback later in the game and didn't lose too badly. Robinson Crusoe is fun too. I only played once so far. I was doing all right and and a solid plan for winning, and I still had half of my health most of the way through the game. Then I got hit by the worst possible weather and died overnight after burning through my meager supply of wood.

I haven't had much time to play my board games in the last few months, so I've built up quite a backlog of games I haven't even played once.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Quatermass
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Quatermass »

How did the Mountains of Madness expansion play? I have it but I haven't used it yet.

Have either of you played Fortune and Glory?

http://www.flyingfrog.net/fortuneandglo ... about.html
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

It was a lot of fun. The new rules: Focus, Preludes and Advance the Mystery, and the Unique Assets are great additions.

I've not played Fortune. I'm a little leery of Flying Frog because I didn't enjoy Touch of Evil. Is it one you like?
Quatermass
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Quatermass »

Tabs wrote:It was a lot of fun. The new rules: Focus, Preludes and Advance the Mystery, and the Unique Assets are great additions.

I've not played Fortune. I'm a little leery of Flying Frog because I didn't enjoy Touch of Evil. Is it one you like?
I love Fortune. My boys and I have played it several times and they love it. It is a Indiana Jones version of EH. It is pretty expensive though.
You can play it cooperative or competitively. Tabletop on youtube did a episode with them playing it.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I love Fortune and Glory too! I have both of the major expansions for it, and have played with both of them as well. That's my second favorite board game after Mage Knight.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

I've been checking UK online shops but so far I can't even pre-order the expansion. Don't want to miss out.
Quatermass
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Quatermass »

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

So does CoolStuffInc. It's prohibitively expensive to ship it to the UK from either of them, though, as they ship from the USA. Customs and shipping charges would more than overwhelm their discounts. Besides, by the time they crossed the Atlantic, they may be in UK shops. CoolStuffInc doesn't have Shades of Tezla yet (though the release date is still indicated as July 29), so my games haven't shipped yet. However, Miniature Market did get it in as well, so it won't be long.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Quatermass
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Quatermass »

Fantasy Flight announces Under the Pyramids expansion for Eldrich Horror.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Games Lore, gameslore.com, have it in stock.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

CoolStuffInc got in Shades of Tezla, and my games shipped today. They're due to arrive the day I leave on vacation, so I won't even get to look at them until I get back, and even then it'll be some time before I can play.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

No problem. :) I'll be able to play a solo game. We'll pencil in a start for when you return.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I think I can still play this game while I'm away, as I have a laptop and should have Internet access at the hotel. I don't need a physical copy of the game in front of me for that. I just meant I wouldn't be able to play the physical copy I'm getting for a while. As it turns out, they updated the delivery date to tomorrow, so I should at least be able to look at it before I leave.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “... I'm Thinking Of Running A Game”