1880s African Expedition?

Please post here if you're trying to gauge interest in a NEW game, which you'd like to run on Play@YSDC
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 9 months

1880s African Expedition?

Post by Supercape »

Hi folks.

New player here with a large amount of PbM GM experience on other boards, but a moderate amount of CoC experience (and rules are a bit hazy, but i was never a rules lawyer). Whilst I wait to enter a game or two as a player...

Ill sound out if there is any interest in a 1890s (or actually a little earlier) game based on an the golden age of exploration into Africa. Trying to avoid the worst tropes, but probably involving unknown degenerate cults, hallucinogens, poisons, and malaria driven feverish visions.

Looking for about 2-3 players, with player generated PCs, plus a few filler NPCs to plump up the expedition (unless you do want to play the bitter manservant hauling your masters whisky and cricket stumps through the African jungle).
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Re: 1880s African Expedition?

Post by Tabs »

Sounds fun, I'd be up for it! (Thinking about Johnny Weismuller films from my youth.)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

I'd like to play in this too.

When you're ready to start, just post the name of the scenario and a short text blurb for it (like you'll see for each game on the home page) in this thread. Then I'll set up a forum for it.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Supercape »

Cool. Two is enough to go, but Ill leave this open another day or three if there is a third interest.

In the mean time, if you want to tell me what kind of character you would like to play, and what kind of issues they have, and what kind of story you would like for them, that would be cool (I tend to modify a game to fit the player characters rather than the other way round).
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

I couldn't think of a better name than his own, so Captain Richard Burton it is. I'll spend a day thinking up some details.
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Supercape »

Great photo. Great facial hair.

I'm looking at 2-3 PCs and 2-3 NPCs on the expedition. Ideally with complex relationships between them. The camera will mainly be on the PCs of course.

If you have any suggestions for an NPC you would like to bring along (Man-servant, War-buddy, Relative, Lover, etc etc) then please sing out.

I would like to have a functional group of people on the expedition but with conflict between them, and build a relationship map between the 4-6 of them.

(PS: I usually let players just choose their own attributes and trust them to make interesting rather than optimised characters. Is this ok?)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I'll play Percival Carstairs, a reporter in the Stanley mold:

Yes, it's okay to let players choose. I'll probably roll anyway but move things around as needed.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Good choice, I considered Stanley for myself!
(PS: I usually let players just choose their own attributes and trust them to make interesting rather than optimised characters. Is this ok?)
Yes, it suits me just fine.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Captain Richard Burton, Agent along the Grand Trunk Road, has returned to England in disgrace. His commanding officer received a copy of Burton's new book The Tantric One: an exploration of the Hindu--"Filth!" Although he is not a lascivious man, well, no more than average, he is fascinated by human nature--urges and impulses chiefly--and his "studies" stem from a genuine desire for knowledge.

Nevertheless, despite his altruistic wish to educate or "free" others, his long suffering wife has barred him from the family estate and he resides in London Town--the East India Club.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 2 months

Post by Priest »

Baxter
Bit of a chancer. Likes his gin. Is rumoured to be wanted for interview by Belgian authorities in the the Congo, something to do with diamonds.

I would like to get in on this, if I may?
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Supercape »

Awesome.

I shall include some content on filth and fornication themes to accommodate this character (not p orographic I emphasise)

Any thoughts about some NPC to go with him? I was vaguely thinking of some Indian manservant or yoga tantric guru. Or even an Indian lover?
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

You read my mind. A Sikh manservant who considers himself the equal of his master, and everyone else, "You, sir, may address me as Mr. Singh." Photo to follow as well as Skills for Burton.
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Supercape »

Cool. I'll get some blurb up imminently.

Crunch / Rule wise my only thoughts were...

1 clustering the wide variety of African language into Bank, Sudan else, and Arabic

2 possibly having a custom "animal handling" skill base 10%? For dogs, beasts of burden, pet simian pals, and snake charming.

Thoughts appreciated.
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Supercape »

Also totally up for the Gin drinking rapscallion Baxter... although he would need a reason to be employed on the expedition with such a past... maybe an expert in languages of the deep tribes of the Jungle or something like that. Your call.

At three PC's I will draw a line. Up to three NPC to join although not the stars of the film. One has been determined as Mr Singh. If you have any suggestions for the last one or two members Singh out.... err.... sing out.

EDIT - Corrected bad stupid spelling thanks to posting on Iphone + silly autocorrect.
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Supercape »

Ok I think we are about ready to start up. Please bear with me as I am new to the forum and so on an so forth! Guide me. An thanks / apologies in advance.

Anyway 3 characters:

Captain Richard Burton, Military India-phile Guru and amateur Anthropologist?
Perciville Cartsiars, ambitious and enthusiastic writer / reporter?
"Baxter", European contact in Africa and all round rapscallion?

+2-3 NPCs to be determined.

Mr Handy if you could set up the forum with the following blurb:

The Dark Continent

In 1880, Africa is yet to be fully explored. The source of the Nile, Lake Victoria, has been discovered, but much of central Africa is a blank map, ripe for exploration. The motives are many; scientific fame, economic exploitation, or even spreading the word of the Lord.

Sir Archibald Winston-Smythe is a venerable emeritus professor of anthropology and history at the British Museum. Part of the first wave of explorers he is now far too infirm to travel again. And yet he has heard tales and talk from others who have carved deep into the Jungle. Rumours of depraved tribes and horrible cults cannot escape his notice.

In good standing and influence, he has commissioned another expedition into the very heart of Africa, past lake Victoria and to the root of these strange stories, ostensibly for the progress of science and understanding, but also to determine the truth or otherwise of the stories of such locales. This hidden agenda is only alluded to, for the full horrors that bubble underneath are not for the ears of the brave men (or women) who will go boldly where no civilised man (or woman) has gone before.

(I will then do intros and character threads and so on and so forth!)

Exotic tropical diseases and hallucinogenic drugs, here we come!
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I've created the new forum here and made you its Keeper. I also activated the forum's dice roller, since Invisible Castle (which was up again as of earlier tonight) is so flaky lately.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Supercape »

Cheers have set up a few threads, hope its OK. Suggestions welcome!
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by DrPeterson »

I will be monitoring this with great interest :)

Good luck, lads!
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Supercape »

I think there might be some spam somewhere?
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

Post by carnage_lee »

Spammer dealt with.

Return to “... I'm Thinking Of Running A Game”