The Old West or Post Apocalypse - you decide!

Please post here if you're trying to gauge interest in a NEW game, which you'd like to run on Play@YSDC
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

The Old West or Post Apocalypse - you decide!

Post by Papa Gateau »

I've been a member here for a while now and have enjoyed participating in several games.

I'd like to give something back and run a little adventure or two.

I have 2 games sketched out at a high-level - both are just bare-bones and need fleshing out but I want gauge the interest in each idea before choosing which one to put the meat onto the bones for.

Old West

This is set post the American civil war. The railroads are racing across the continent, trying to be the first to connect the 2 oceans. The players can be any type of character consistent with the time - think of any cowboy film and the usual cast of characters from bounty hunter, gunslinger, outlaw, whore, preacher, ranch hand, freed slave, prospector, Pinkerton detective, indian brave etc.

This will be a western with several plot lines and elements of horror thrown into the mix.

Rules will be CoC (probably 6th Ed) with the house variations

Post Apocalypse

Post apocalypse is wrong - this will be set during the breakdown of society - current day, current tech etc. Something unknown to the players will cause the breakdown, I don't want to reveal too much here but again there is some unworldly/horror aspect to this.

This will be a survival scenario but there are important end points and plot hooks - the players will already know and will be invested in other - either family members, bunch of friends at a reunion or something similar. Characters will be ordinary people with regular ordinary lives - accountant, shop-keeper, web-designer, cop, mum etc. I'm not looking for retired special-ops :D

Rules will be BRPG with some house variations.

Please let me know if you are interested in playing and which game. I'm looking for 4-6 players.

I want to run both games but at the moment only have time to work on one. So whichever gets the most votes gets to go first but I will run the other at a later date.

Once I know which one to work on, it will take me a couple of weeks to flesh out scenarios and story arcs.

Thanks
PG
Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

The Train to Hell - A Grim Praririe Tale
NFVD
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 9 years 1 month

Re: The Old West or Post Apocalypse - you decide!

Post by NFVD »

Old West bets apocalypse...every time.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by Tabs »

I'd be up for an Old West game. :)
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 2 months

Post by Priest »

I'd be up for an Old West game too. When I worked on the building I very often used to be accused of being a cowboy :D
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
ghill
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Post by ghill »

Oooooh, oooh I want to play Old West.
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Papa Gateau »

Okay that's 4 for some cowboys 'n injuns fun, which is a strong enough indicator for me.

I'll start writing things up and when ready, request the forum etc.

Keep an eye on this thread and I'll PM directly when it's time for character creation.

If in the meantime you want to sketch out a character concept/profile - I'll try and incorporate things from your back histories into the story/plot line.

ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Name: Captain John Strachan
Education: Eton
Birthplace: Edinburgh

The dashingly handsome Captain John Strachan formerly of the 2nd Dragoons (Scotts Greys) a passably good cavalry officer, from a good family. He arrived in Confederate States in the early stages of the war as an observer for her majesties government, at the end of the war Strachan chose to resign his commission and seek his fortune in the West" at this point he is near the end of his available cash and is no closer to achieving the fortune he originally sought.
Spoilers,Strachan's weakness is gambling, unfortunately Strachan suffered a rather long streak of bad luck, which coincided with his principle debtor finding out about the affair Strachan had been having with the man's wife. As a result Strachan has been forced to sell his home, his commission in the 2nd and his seat at "the Rag"; he was also told that should he return to London he would be "Blackballed". The proceeds of these sales should have been enough to clear his debts and pay for a commission had Strachan not gambled most of them away. Strachan resents having to stay in the Americas, but refuses to accept the fault is his own. He continues to gamble. Given a suitable opportunity to raise cash and stay within the law will jump at it.
Gear
Wide-brimmed plantation hat, suit and shirt. Two double-breasted waistcoats, frock coat, trousers, two shirts and collars; adequate undergarments and night ware, wash kit including straight razor/mug/soap/brush, water bottle, walking stick, shoulder bag and watercolours. Two Colt Dragoon pistols cased. 1796 Heavy Cavalry Sword cased. Purdey 12 bore single barrel shotgun cased.

ooc: I can come back and re-edit if I made any glaringly obvious errors. The character concept is taken from an idea I had for the End of John's Company scenario which never actually flew :(
Last edited by ghill on Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NFVD
Keeper
Keeper

Post by NFVD »

I am thinking of being tottaly un-original and surrender to time-hallowed cliché by playing a Mexican "We Dont Need No Stinkin Badges!" Bandito straight out of The Treasure of Sierra Madre.

Similar to this guy, but without the deathwish.

Our stalwart Hombre headed up north seeking employment as muscle for the railroad robber baro...er, I mean the "free market enterpreneurs" who are spanning rails across the continent after things got just a little to hot down south of the Rio Grande.

The usual fare: a large Sombrero, poncho, cartridge belts strapped across the torso, two large pistolas, a rifle and assorted knives of varying sizes; unshaven countenance, a small but resilient horse that looks more like a mule, sarcastic streak and mean as a snake but with enough respect for Los Curas and La Santa Madre Iglesia to consider himself a bueno católico and rake the sensibilities of devout Protestant Anglos everywhere.

Oh, he's also a racist who detests los indios and los negros, and it astounds him that los gringos Americanos were loco enough to kill each other in droves for 4 years just to release los animales. I mean, Santa Maria!, just what is this world coming to?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

I'm up for this too. I had been thinking of playing a Confederate cavalryman named Jim Murdoch from Virgiinia even before I saw Captain Strachan. I rolled him up and played him in an "Old West" scenario (it actually took place in Kentucky) set in 1873 I played at a convention years ago, but I don't know if I can still find his character sheet. He has a strong sense of chivalry and honor, and he fancies himself a knight of sorts. After the end of the war, he headed out west to find his fortune too, much like Captain Strachan. The two of them could know each other from the war, and they might have even gone west together.

I remember The End of John Company (I played missionary Julia Kaye), and it's a shame that game never got past the early stages.

When you're ready, I can set up a forum for the game. I'll just need a text blurb to go with it that will be visible on the home page.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Mr. Handy wrote:I'm up for this too. I had been thinking of playing a Confederate cavalryman named Jim Murdoch from Virgiinia even before I saw Captain Strachan. I rolled him up and played him in an "Old West" scenario (it actually took place in Kentucky) set in 1873 I played at a convention years ago, but I don't know if I can still find his character sheet. He has a strong sense of chivalry and honor, and he fancies himself a knight of sorts. After the end of the war, he headed out west to find his fortune too, much like Captain Strachan. The two of them could know each other from the war, and they might have even gone west together.
This would make sense Strachan would be totally unfamiliar with the West and largely without contacts, although the two men might find as the saying goes "familiarity breeds contempt", because Captain Strachan is no knight. But that certainly sounds like potential fodder for role play :)
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

@ghill
seat at "the Rag"
--I've never come across this expression, (I should Google it) what does it mean? :)

~

I thought of two characters mentioned in the book Flash for Freedom! The fictional Susie Willinck, the Cockney New Orleans bawdy house madam, "Oh, Lor'!"; or the factual Harriet Tubman, the free slave and Underground Railroad Agent--NFVD's bandito and Ms. Tubman should get along famously. . . .
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Papa Gateau »

All these character concepts are great.

@Tabs - either character is fine, though you may find running a union spy with 2 confederate soldiers and an avowed racist somewhat disadvantageous when the bullets start to fly.

The setting will be 1866 Colorado/Iowa. The civil war is over but there are still those that harbour grudges or grievances. The Winchester repeating rifle has just reached market - the West has yet to be won as the tribes now see the encroaching railroad as a threat to their way of life.

Whilst I will try to be historically accurate things may not stay true to timelines, events or locations.

NFVD
Keeper
Keeper

Post by NFVD »

I forgot to ask. Does the Keeper have Worlds of Cthulhu #2? It has a great article/resource on runnigng CoC in the Wild West entitled "The Good, The Bad and The Utterly Insane". Lots of occupations, guns and period rules (fast drawing, fanning, spitting, etc).
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Papa Gateau »

Yes, that WOC2 will be the ruleset that we will be using.

Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 2 months

Post by Priest »

I'm thinking Dr Ethan P Farnsworthy, sometimes a doctor of medicine others a doctor of divinity whichever seems best. A charlatan of course more interested in making money than helping the sick. Selling snake oil to the gullible, bad whiskey and guns to the injuns, bogus land deeds to the farmers driven west by the war.

"Shall we gather at the river?" "Of course brothers but only if you can afford the price"

Of course the rairoad, by its very nature, is going to draw large flocks of needy people in search of medicine for body and soul.

"Let us pray brother and sisters. Helleluliah and welcome to the promised land"

Think Lee Marvin in 'Paint you Wagon' (without the singing) crossed with him in 'The Commancheros' all the trustworthiness of a rattlesnake but less good looking :D
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

A Union spy would be used to being around Confederates and avowed racists in the course of her work. The trick is not to let on that she was one. And Jim Murdoch at least would protect her when the bullets fly.

I have a copy of the WOC2 article as well, if I can find it. It should be with my old character sheet, as it was given out to us during the convention scenario, where I used it to build him.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

I am siding for Harriet Tubman, but I confess to knowing f. all about black slavery; actually, I do know a bit, and plan to read Uncle Tom's Cabin soon. . . .

Can I download WoC2? I've got a pdf from Welsh--who ran a game here yonks ago--about the Mythos in the Old West, same thing?
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Papa Gateau »

Go for it - I wasn't trying to influence your choice.

You don't need to be historically accurate - she could be the inspiration for the character rather than a carbon copy. Other than what I read on wikipedia the other day, I don't know too much about her.

ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Tabs wrote:@ghill
seat at "the Rag"
--I've never come across this expression, (I should Google it) what does it mean? :)
http://www.therag.co.uk/

Papa Gateau has slept there on one occasion, although missed out on breakfast (because neither of us were wearing suits, so weren't dressed to use the dining room)

Its similar to the "In & Out", actually to be honest Strachan should really be a member of the Cavalry & Guards Club
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

What a pleb I am! So you and Papa G. are ex-military?

Return to “... I'm Thinking Of Running A Game”