Dark Streets

Please post here if you're trying to gauge interest in a NEW game, which you'd like to run on Play@YSDC
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Dark Streets

Post by Priest »

London 1749.

“That night, he still could not shut his eyes, for fear of the visions that haunted him.

When they came to check on him the next morning they found him almost dead in his cell. His nails were chipped, bloodied and broken, his hands squeezed two pulpy orbs. His face was defiled, empty sockets devoid of eyes. For the Runner, the agony was not over, because though eyeless, he could still see...”

Welcome to Dark Streets, a game of Lovecraftian horror set in Georgian London.

The year is 1749, and London is a city of vice, crime and misery. Gangs of ruffians rule the streets, unopposed. Crime is at an all time high, fuelled by crushing poverty. Brothels proliferate. Drunkenness is endemic, the gin craze is at its peak. Child-beggars starve in filthy gutters. Corrupt night-watchmen and thief-takers turn a blind eye to wrong-doing. And dark creatures lurk in back alleys, called from beyond by the desperate with nothing left to lose.

But there is a new force on the streets of London; for the author and magistrate Henry Fielding has teamed up with his brother John to form the city’s first police force – the Bow Street Runners. The Fielding’s have persuaded Parliament to fund their crime-fighting endeavour, but they know that there is something behind the vice – for John
Fielding’s blind eyes can see things that others cannot – things that man was not meant to know.

In Dark Streets players take on the roles of Bow Street Runners or civilian consultants, attached to London’s first, desperately small, police force, investigating the dark secrets behind the sordid crimes that despoil the city.

Not Call of Cthulhu, but close, Dark Streets uses the Renaissance Deluxe rules from Cakebread and Walton. Using the D100 system the rules share the same basics as CoC, BRP, etc so will be easy to understand. However the differences are enough to make having access to the rule book unavoidable.

What I’m doing is trying to gauge the interest here in this system to judge whether there is enough to make it worthwhile to invest the time needed to start a game on the forum. If enough members here interested then I may take it further.

If interested please let me know.
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Re: Dark Streets

Post by Priest »

Forgot to add;
A free version of the rules are available here to download http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/9 ... powder-SRD
- Anais Nin
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

I'm definitely interested! I recently read the Baroque Cycle, which, while it was about the previous era (1650s-1714), is similar in some ways and shows how the Hanoverians ended up on the British throne.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
jbibblesworth
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 9 years 11 months

Post by jbibblesworth »

Mmm...sure! I'd be down for some silk-hatted snooping!
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

So that would be two. Get four and it might be viable.
I would suggest if interested that you download the free 'Black Powder SRD' rules and see how they compare with CoC, BRP, Runequest etc, if you understand those you'll have little trouble with 'Black Powder'. The 'Renaissance deluxe' rules are basically the 'Black Powder' set slightly extended and with art work.
The 'Dark Streets' supplement is very useful, but not essential for the player. However for background its great.

JB, It's Tricorn hatted snooping. Highwaymen, smugglers, pirates, body snatchers, etc all the fun of the fair.
- Anais Nin
jbibblesworth
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 9 years 11 months

Post by jbibblesworth »

Sounds good to me man. I suspect we'll both have some free time soon enough. Things don't look too good for old Warren or Scott.

As Scott was previously in your care, I am forced to assume you are cursed.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Free download of Black Powder SRD is here. http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/9 ... ack+powder
- Anais Nin
cookies
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 9 years 9 months

Post by cookies »

Great idea guys, I just started to learn this forum but im huge fan of lovecraft!
I hope that I will find some decent information here
Huge fan of lovecraft :)

Return to “... I'm Thinking Of Running A Game”