An unusual delivery - Modern Era

Please post here if you're trying to gauge interest in a NEW game, which you'd like to run on Play@YSDC
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

An unusual delivery - Modern Era

Post by Dave Syrinx »

AN UNUSUAL DELIVERY
The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary;
men alone are quite capable of every wickedness.
– Joseph Conrad, Under Western Eyes
Everyone just knows that the roads aren’t safe these days. Psycho killers stand along the edge of obscure routes, searching for prey as they thumb for a ride, while carjackers stalk the back roads in fake cruisers and stolen uniforms, more than willing to part honest folks from their vehicles. It’s a sick, convoluted tapestry, woven out of countless miles of asphalt; as dark, strange and twisted as anything that happens among the labyrinthine alleys of any crumbling metropolis, or within the walled palatial estates of the jaded rich. Along certain stretches of road, people occasionally go missing. Often they’re the sorts whom no one misses: runaways and prostitutes, transients and criminals. Perhaps the monsters that infest the shadows take them, whether to drink their blood or to feed on their souls, or perhaps some alien consciousness seeping up out of the land itself desires them. Most of the time, though, it’s just mundane human evil that makes people disappear.
In An unusual delivery we meet Marcus LaHabra, Kathryn Petersen and Melinda Williams en route to Las Vegas. The events occurring in this episode are happening ten years after the adventures in the UK. That being said, this episode opens up to new players.

Using the trope of "a bump in the road" we meet the trio in the middle of the road halfway to nowhere with an engine malfunction. After being in contact with each-other, the three former colleagues are on a trip to Las Vegas to catch up - and maybe decide to finish up some loose ends. Further characters will be woven in as the story proceeds.
A quick glance behind the curtain:
The stink of stale sweat and human waste is saturated into the walls, and the only light she can make out leaks through the tiny space between the reinforced steel door and the cold concrete floor. She flexes her fingers and toes to try to get some feeling back into them, but her pallid flesh remains numb with the pervasive chill. Her hair was caked in blood and filth, but all she could do was stare at the door and that thin ray of light.

She’d start crying, but that didn’t solve anything the last ten times. She’d scream, but there’s no one to hear. She’d struggle in her shackles, but the bruises already circling her wrists and ankles prove how futile that is. If she had a way to kill herself, she’d probably have used it days ago. She heard a conversation between two of the men, awhile back, somewhere far down the hallway. They talked about “moving the product,” which she assumed meant her, but it didn’t sound like where she was going would be anywhere better than this.

It won’t help anything, but she starts crying again anyway.

Characters from the past:
Marcus LaHabra, ex-L.A. SWAT sniper.
Kathryn Petersen, ME
Melinda Williams, punk rocker

New character ideas:

PM me for suggestions, please.

This scenario is published for World of Darkness RPG. The name, is... a dead give-away so I can't print it. It's written by Stephen Michael DiPesa.
I will obviously change things in the scenario to fit my game.

Preface to the game is The L.A. Skinner and The Dreaming Man chapters for the characters from the past. Not required reading for new players.

Game system is Call of Cthulhu.

Post speed: 1-2 posts a week.
If you dare, do join.

/Dave
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
DetectiveSocks
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 7 months

Re: An unusual delivery - Modern Era

Post by DetectiveSocks »

Sounds pretty interesting and doesn't follow along that same classic investigation formula, which sounds exciting. Is this some kind of post-apocalyptic world? Or just stranded in the middle of nowhere away from civilization, with only old rundown buildings in the distance?
The other children cheered him on. His name voiced in a steadily rising pace, urging him to do it. “Am I really doing this?”, the young boy thought and struck his victim with a rock.
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Hi, Detective!
Nothing strange here. Carry on!
Well, let's say - everything is normal should you get to.... When you get to Las Vegas. The pictures are purely mood setters. Real scenario pictures will come up in the game forum.

The mechanics are as I said "bump in the road". Let's see what you make of it.

There's a rest stop and a motel by the road. Your character might have stopped there...
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

I'm up for this! Looking forward to playing Kathryn Petersen again.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Airbornexo
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 3 months

Post by Airbornexo »

I look forward to reprising my role as Marcus LaHabra, my first PBP character here on Play@YSDC - Having an affinity with Vegas as well (got married there 10 years ago on the 30th July this year) this is a must for me!

I've not read any world of darkness stuff so that should be fine :)

Cheers, Hal :idea:
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Great! I'll send out PM:s to all interested parties wirh "last week's events".
Then, you'll have an introduction post for your character. When we start the game, you all will start at the same fork in the road.

Kabuliman and Mr. Handy have also agreed to try this out.

Cheers!

/Dave
TVblog

DetectiveSocks
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 7 months

Post by DetectiveSocks »

Sorry for the late response, but I wouldn't mind playing as well! I'd be interested in making a new character, however, if Melinda needs to be played still, I wouldn't mind filling in those shoes :D
The other children cheered him on. His name voiced in a steadily rising pace, urging him to do it. “Am I really doing this?”, the young boy thought and struck his victim with a rock.
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

You are very welcome! I'll send the details to yu
TVblog

kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years

Post by kabukiman »

DetectiveSocks wrote:Sorry for the late response, but I wouldn't mind playing as well! I'd be interested in making a new character, however, if Melinda needs to be played still, I wouldn't mind filling in those shoes :D

Sorry, Melinda is my original character and I'l keep her :P
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Yes, thats correct. Det.Socks, you can roll up another punk-girl-runnaway it will fit nicely with the scenario. Away from all problems to a new beginning...
TVblog

Waylander
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 9 years 9 months

Post by Waylander »

Hi Syrinx

I would be really interested in joining. Let me know what sort of character you would like and I will roll one....
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Let's see... Your character is by his or her own fault, stranded in a crossroads in the middle of nowhere. A fair bit from glamorous Las Vegas and close to the hiking trails of Yosemite national park.

Hitchhiker, runaway, pure unlucky? The reason is up to you.

You could be a local at the crossroads. Maybe managing the gas stop, helping out at the Motel or the truck stop?

Or a detective looking for a missing girl...
TVblog

Return to “... I'm Thinking Of Running A Game”