Terror on the Orient-Express

Please post here if you're trying to gauge interest in a NEW game, which you'd like to run on Play@YSDC
Wu Ming
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

Katerina and Giovanni

Post by Wu Ming »

Regarding Katerina and Giovanni being familiar with one another, it is my thought that if either Sir Mark Burnell, or perhaps Katerina herself were a fan of the pugilistic arts then it is quite possible that they may have met before during his career, and perhaps engaged in correspondence or a 'light acquaintanceship' dinning together and attending the same functions in one another's company.

As a majority of Giovanni’s career was spent in Britannia it is likely that a majority of his notoriety is among the British and the Italians (those of Siena in specific.) Also a possible means of familiarity; in his younger days it was not uncommon for Giovanni to 'befriend' the aristocratic and wealthy ladies of the regions in which he worked, and at his height he enjoyed quite a few 'patronesses'.
PrBatblind
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Katerina/Giovanni

Post by PrBatblind »

Once again very nice ideas, Wu Ming. I suspect our high-tempered Katiouchka to indeed nourish some kind of mannish taste for pugilistic bouts or exhibitions...

She was raised mostly abroad, but however I’m not sure the Trieste province would have been a favourite travel choice for wealthy Russian aristocrats, even if we consider at the time Trieste was under Austro-Hungarian control. Besides, Katerina doesn’t speak Italian at all, even if approximately one third of the province was German-speaking… Maybe, considering she owns a holiday house – in an unknown location – in Italy, that could be in Toscana, near Giovanni’s place: knowing one another from his former pugilist life, they met again a few years after, discovering they were neighbours …

What does think our femme fatale?
Last edited by PrBatblind on Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
welsh
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by welsh »

What I think?

I think I am enjoying this cross-gendered roleplay a bit too much! :)

Sounds fine. If you want to give Katerina a bit of Italian, a 25% (and what the hell the language is a romantic language and the romance languages are easy to learn if you are already familiar with one).

Yes, I envision Katerina as a lady who enjoys a bit of bloodsport, so it's quite likely they were acquainted in some light way. Lovely idea.
http://www.nma-fallout.com

One man's meat may very well be another man's person-
- Anonymous Cannibal
Wu Ming
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Wu Ming »

welsh wrote: What I think?

I think I am enjoying this cross-gendered roleplay a bit too much! :)

Sounds fine. If you want to give Katerina a bit of Italian, a 25% (and what the hell the language is a romantic language and the romance languages are easy to learn if you are already familiar with one).

Yes, I envision Katerina as a lady who enjoys a bit of bloodsport, so it's quite likely they were acquainted in some light way. Lovely idea.

Italian isn't nessary, they both have French at 40% and both are conversant in english.
Jhaal
Layman
Layman

Emilia-Florenza Varisco

Post by Jhaal »

Posted in the fashion of Wu Ming.
(Also awaiting PrBatblind's final approval)

Emilia-Florenza Varisco wrote: Name: Mrs. Giovanni Fucina, formerly Ms. Emilia-Florenza Varisco
Sex: Female
College, Degrees: None
Birthplace: Monrupino, Italy

Yearly Income & Propriety
$12.500 per annum living stipend from family fortunes
Modest Estate & Workshop in Monrupino, Italy (Husband’s Family Estate)
Small house in Siena, Italy (Husband’s Property)
$20.000 in savings, held in trust to assure a comfortable maturity.

Appearance & Personality
Emilia-Florenza is a young lady of modest stature; she is soft spoken and mild in both voice and temperament. Though not spoken of as beautiful, she is far beyond plain in countenance, of which one’s impression is enhanced when introduced to her charming ability to seriously discuss academics with the sweetness of naiveté. Seemingly introverted, at heart she harbours an adventurous spirit, romantic aspirations and an intense spiritual devotion approached with a propriety that often wavers between self-righteous reproach and burdensome duty.

Emilia-Florenza Varisco; Mrs. Giovanni Age 22, 1922

Background
Emilia-Florenza Varisco was born to a wealthy family, whose fortunes lay in agriculture and recently, under the patronage of her uncle, who has made recent forays into the world of politics. Orphaned at the tender age of nine, Emilia-Florenza was raised mostly by her uncle, Italo Benito Varisco, and lead a pampered existence on the family’s large estate, home to both an expansive olive orchard and a small vineyard. Resigned to life as a bachelor, Italo Varisco spared no expense in the genteel education of the niece he so adored while he himself, often surreptitiously and suddenly, engaged in diversionary travels to escape from a lonely, aging life. Accompanying her uncle on these travels always filled Emilia with great joy as it allowed her the opportunity to sketch the unaware pedestrians of Rue de Courcelles or paint the idyllic vistas of the Alps. On one such leisurely voyage she became acquainted with an engaging man in her uncle’s hunting party. Though most would be repulsed by Giovanni Fucina’s unsightly scar, Emilia almost sanctifies it by mentally equating it to a martyr’s wound. She admires him for both his intellect and his reputation as a renegade, stories of which partly satiate her thirst for adventure. After an engagement of two years, Emilia-Florenza Varisco has recently become Mrs. Giovanni Fucina. The couple plans to travel the Simplon Orient-Express in celebration of their matrimony.

Characteristics
STR 9
CON 10
SIZ 9
DEX 12
APP 14
INT 16 , Idea 80
POW 18 , Luck/SAN 90
EDU 13 , Know 65

Hit Points: 10
Magic Points: 18
Damage Bonus: none

Skills: (professional one in italics, . private preceded by a dot; non-base scores bolded.
Accounting (10%):
Anthropology (01%):
Archaeology (01%):
Art: Drawing (05%): 40%
Art: Painting (05%): 47%
.Art: Poetry (05%): 45%
.Art: Singing (05%): 25%
Astronomy (01%):
Bargain (05%):
Biology (01%):
Chemistry (01%):
Climb (40%):
Conceal (15%):
Craft (05%):
Credit Rating (15%): 50%
Cthulhu Mythos (00%):
Disguise (01%):
Dodge (DEXx2): 24%
Electr. Repair (10%):
Fast Talk (05%):
First Aid (30%):
Geology (01%):
Hide (10%):
.History (20%): 35%
Jump (25%):
Law (05%):
Library Use (25%):
.Listen (25%): 30%
Locksmith 01%):
Martial Arts (01%):
Mech. Repair (20%):
Medicine (05%):
Natural History (10%):
Navigate (10%):
Occult (05%):
Opr. Hvy. Mch. (01%):
.Other Language English (01%): 65%
.Other Language French (01%): 65%
.Own Language Italian (EDU×5%): 85%
.Persuade (15%): 60%
Pharmacy (01%):
Photography (10%):
Physics (01%):
Pilot (01%):
Psychoanalysis (01%):
Psychology (05%):
.Ride (05%): 30%
Sneak (10%):
Spot Hidden (25%):
Swim (25%):
Throw (25%):
Track (10%):

Firearms
Handgun (20%):
Machine Gun (15%):
Rifle (25%):
Shotgun (30%):
SMG (15%):

Hand-to-Hand:
Fist/Punch (50%):
Head Butt (10%):
Kick (25%):
Grapple (25%):
welsh
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by welsh »

Oh Pah!

Weddings always bring a tear to my eye!

This must be a first at this forum- a married couple! And roleplayed by two different people!

Wonderful.

Out of curiousity- do you two know each other?

Looks wonderful.
http://www.nma-fallout.com

One man's meat may very well be another man's person-
- Anonymous Cannibal
Wu Ming
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Wu Ming »

We're a married couple, roleplaying two diffrent people who happen also to be a married couple.
PrBatblind
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

A wedding, and I hope not too many burrials...

Post by PrBatblind »

I, PrBarblind, wicked keeper, solemnly declare Giovanni & Emilia-Florenza husband & wife, for better or for worst – I’m afraid mostly for worst…

Great job. I’m a happy keeper. Those two characters of yours are an example to show in RPG schools.
Very well. So, we have got Wu Ming & Jhall, welsh, SuAside sent me his proposal, I’m waiting for DrFriod’s work. What about The_Olden_Thing and my faithful Mongoose? Seven characters seem fairly enough, for the campaign implies, literally, limited places.

I call the dear moderator.
The_Olden_Thing
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by The_Olden_Thing »

I will be a while with my character. Part of the reason for my delay has been the intimidation I have experienced reading both Wu Ming and welsh's characters, and my dissatisfaction with my attempts at a good character. I've been experimenting with different styles, but I do hope to have a finished character soon.
Dr.Friod
Layman
Layman

Post by Dr.Friod »

ditto.
The_Olden_Thing
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by The_Olden_Thing »

Name: Christopher Romero
Sex: Male
Occupation: Professional big-game hunter, deep jungle expeditionary guide, exotic collectables salesman
College, Degrees: None
Birthplace: Boston, MA

Yearly Income & Propriety
Annual income varies depending on host, expedition success, and the sales of items collected durring such excursions. Usually between $7,000-$12,000.
Currently has $10,500 in savings in several anonymous accounts.

Appearance & Personality

Christopher has a most interesting attitude, one that seems to mix a cocky playboy attitude with a hardened, gritty, almost depressed man. Usually the former is more apparent than the latter, but within the proper context the illusion can be broken to reveal the toll Romero's life has taken on him.

Background

Chistopher Romero was born to a relatively poor family of five in the streets of Boston, forced to scavenge for food with his siblings while his father and mother both worked at various jobs attempting to dredge up money. When he was but seven years of age, they gave Christopher up to their distant and very wealthy cousin, George Roland Hubbard who reared the boy himself at his mansion.

Photographic portrait of Hubbard, taken 1892

Hubbard operated a large shipping business, in particular to foreign parts such as Africa and India, and his noteriety earned him some honor from his various clients, including several members of various royal families in Europe. He had participated in several safaris, and thus had brought back to his home many an exotic and beautiful item.

The man was too caring a foster father to push Chistopher aside in favor of his work, but instead he taught the child himself, and took young Romero with him on various business trips abroad. It was a favorite pasttime of the pair to huddle together in a blanket while the man regailed the boy with stories of his adventures in the deep jungles of Darkest Africa, or his encounters with the strange Hindus, or his fabulous dinners at the table of the Kaiser of Germany. These stories ignited the imagination of the boy, and on his twelfth birthday Christopher went with Hubbard on a safari in India as his birthday present.

The careful tutoring of his foster father at home and on the road gave the boy the necessary tools and skills to recieve an extremely good education, and the young man eventually went to Harvard at fourteen years of age, graduating well into his twenties. He immediately began work in his foster father's business, and deciding that the young man was ready, Hubbard retired early, handing the reigns of his business to Christopher.

Romero took an even more hands on approach to operating and managing his work, and made sure to have friendly ties with every single royal family he came into contact with. His ventures were so incrdibly successful that he reaped a fortune enough to last him for some time. Thus, he retired and decided to pursue a dream he had had since the early days of childhood.

Training himself in physical arts, he built his body and physical skills up before jumping head first into the world of big game hunting. So far he has had a mixture of success and failure, and some of his darker times have left scars on the man. He has taken up selling the pelts and other collectable exoic items he picks up, and this has revived his patronage among his past royal clients. Currently he is taking a break from his work, and is seriously considering reentering his foster father's company, especially in light of the man's recent death at age 77.

Characteristics

STR 09
CON 10
SIZ 12
DEX 11
APP 11
INT 13 Idea 65%
POW 13 Luck/SAN 65%
EDU 25 Know 125%

Hit Points: 11
Magic Points: 13
Damage Bonus: None

Skills:

Accounting (10%):
.Anthropology (01%): 31%
Archaeology (01%):
Art (05%):
Astronomy (01%):
.Bargain (05%): 35%
Biology (01%):
Chemistry (01%):
.Climb (40%): 50%
.Conceal (15%): 40%
Craft (05%):
Credit Rating (15%): 25%
Cthulhu Mythos (00%):
Disguise (01%):
Electr. Repair (10%):
.Fast Talk (05%): 30%
First Aid (30%): 50%
Geology (01%): 11%
.Hide (10%): 55%
History (20%):
.Jump (25%): 55%
Law (05%):
Library Use (25%):
.Listen (25%): 55%
Locksmith 01%):
.Martial Arts (01%): 11%
Mech. Repair (20%):
.Medicine (05%): 60%
Natural History (10%):
.Navigate (10%): 45%
Occult (05%):
Opr. Hvy. Mch. (01%):
.Other Language (01%): Afrikaans, 26%
Own Language (EDU×5%):
.Persuade (15%): 62%
.Pharmacy (01%): 06%
Photography (10%):
Physics (01%):
Pilot (01%):
Psychoanalysis (01%):
Psychology (05%):
Ride (05%):
.Sneak (10%): 50%
.Spot Hidden (25%): 35%
.Swim (25%): 35%
.Throw (25%): 35%
.Track (10%): 45%

Hand-to-Hand:
Fist/Punch (50%): 65%
Head Butt (10%): 15%
Kick (25%): 40%
Grapple (25%): 35%

Firearms
.45 Revolver: 35%

PrBatblind
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

I need a few players

Post by PrBatblind »

Hi!

We've lost a good part of our initial crew of eight players, now apparently reduced to a core of three regular ones, welsh, Tars_Tarkas and SuAside.

I need two more players.

I've made a résumé of the first chapter, set in London - while, as the players can forebode, the plot will probably lead them till Constantinople -, as well as a thread with the principal player handouts, so that a late introduction could be very easy for the newbies.

The campaign, being a Classic Era, Lovecraftian-orthodox Chaosium product, will probably suit better the classic Lovecraft-like WASP bookworm, although you can of course chose whatever you like, knowing that:
- welsh plays Countess Ekaterina Trapeznikov-Burnell, a.k.a. Kate - I personally nickname her The Black Widow, but I'm unfair - our Russian polyglot, high credit rating smoothtalker and diplomat.
- Tars_Tarkas plays John Radcliffe, a mysterious Yankee with a knack for accounting and a dilettanteish passion for art.
- SuAside plays the Belgian and cynical Cédric Trouvaille, Kate's bodyguard, former soldier, former policeman, and ex-security chief of the Compagnie Internationale des Wagons-Lits.

Is anyone interested?
crimsontree
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by crimsontree »

I'm interested. Please let me know what I need to do. :)
PrBatblind
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Oi crimsontree!

Post by PrBatblind »

Oi crimsontree !

A Dutchman ?! How wonderful ! SuAside is Belgian and trilingual, and it will, I’m sure, remind welsh of a wild old flame of his! :wink:

What you need to do?
First thing, take into account that I’m French, so that my English could look weird sometime, and also, forgive me my sporadic fits of laziness; nevertheless, you should regularly write me how wonderful a keeper I am to encourage me in my efforts, on the Out of Game thread, mostly conceived to do such obsequious flattering , or by PM, if you want to keep some dignity. :D

That being said, we can speak of the petty details of the character creation. Please, if you chose to play with us, you should be able to post an average one post every other day, and at least forewarn, or apologize, for eventual absences.
So, the character: I’ll consider you’re already familiar with CoC and the Classic, Jazz Age, era. If you aren’t, nevermind, you’ll play even more genuinely, and we’ll be here to guide you.
My preferences as a player tend towards creating my own character, so I encourage you to do so using the latest version of the rules. I made a template so that everybody can expose their sheets following the same way, and to ease my job finding the characteristics during the dice throws. You can send your project right on this thread, or PM it to me, peculiarly if you want some elements of your background not to be known by the other players. Please don’t bother to use Byakkhee: just create the character you like, following the guidelines I exposed here.

That being said, there are some gorgeous characters that have been dropped, and depending of their authors’ allowance, you could probably pick up one of them. For instance, Wu Ming opened the ball with a superb creation, which he alas never played. But, like I said, it’s subject to their creators’ forsaking of their rights (we already had a few problems with those very specific kind of "intellectual properties").

Another alternative is the character I created specially for the game, that you can find here.

I you chose to create your own, a good thing would be that he already knows one of the PCs (probably, once again, Kate, for she is undoubtedly our charismatic leader, whilst Cédric and John are much more secretive, and less inclined to link with others.) Another way to introduce naturally your PC, would be his acquaintance, and subsequent worry, with Pr. Smith.

Of course, speaking of Smith, a necessary thing is that you familiarize yourself at least with the summary of the first chapter, and the personality of the very amiable and friendly Pr. Smith.

Still tempted?

Cheers!
RyanDG
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by RyanDG »

I am definitely interested as well - however, seeing as though I have never done this online before, I may need a push in the right direction. Your posting requirement is definitely fair enough for a campaign of this size and everything else template wise seems well and good...

I'll see about creating a character and a backstory for the campaign and posting something on this board.
PrBatblind
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Hi RyanDG

Post by PrBatblind »

Hi RyanDG,

I'm not that used to PbP game neither. On that concern, we mostly create in a constant work in progress the best ways to render to everybody the game as vivid and fun as possible. The Out of Game threads and PM are here to ease the things if you feel a little lost.

I wait impatiently for both your characters!

Cheers!
Fabian
Layman
Layman

Post by Fabian »

Is there any slot left?
I've never done this before but I would really like to try.

Please e-mail me on fabian@ahrberg.se if there's any opening for a newbie.
crimsontree
Layman
Layman

Post by crimsontree »

Thanks for the information PrBatblind.

I'm definitely still tempted although I'm an Irishman living in the Netherlands. No clogs in my shoe closet. ;)

I'll start creating a character after the weekend. Would an Architect fit in with the scenario?
PrBatblind
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

An architect

Post by PrBatblind »

Hi crimsontree
I'm definitely still tempted although I'm an Irishman living in the Netherlands. No clogs in my shoe closet.

Irish?! Well, that's good too, I take it nevertheless! :D I'm always amazed by the wonderful melting pot allowed by this site!
I'll start creating a character after the weekend. Would an Architect fit in with the scenario?

Of course! The more I reread Lovecraft, the more I'm convinced his imagination was properly architecture-induced, that for him the true beauty could only have been non-living, mineral.

That said, if possible, try to link your background to the plot as I mentioned before.

To Fabian,

Hi, I sent you an e-mail. Of course you're welcome, too. This time, are you Danish, Swedish, Danish-Swedish, a Welsh exiled, what?! :D

Cheers
Fabian
Layman
Layman

Post by Fabian »

Great! I just replied to your email.

I'm from sweden and I live in denmark since a few years back. I've just recently found Lovecraft and the Cthulhu-mythos and I've read a couple of stories so far. I'm used to table-rpg and I've never tried either Cthulhu-rpg nor PbP but I hope it will be a scary scary ride and I want to tag along =)

Return to “... I'm Thinking Of Running A Game”