Terror on the Orient-Express

Please post here if you're trying to gauge interest in a NEW game, which you'd like to run on Play@YSDC
PrBatblind
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

Terror on the Orient-Express

Post by PrBatblind »

I’d like to keep Terror on the Orient-Express, the renowned classic era campaign.

I’ve got plenty of time for now, so I could play daily, and will expect players to post, say, at least three posts a week. But of course, even with a quick start and constant rhythm, the campaign is long, and we won’t finish it until months! So, if you don’t feel able to play as long, pray let the place to someone else.
Two players are already involved, and I’d like to get four or five more.

CoC experience isn't required, not even a knowledge of Lovecraft. But, more than the others famous Chaosium campaign, I think the success of TotOE relies on good role-play and the ability to recreate the mood and surroundings of the European entre-deux-guerre. Consequently, I'll expect the players to be able of a good role- immersion.

Is anybody interested?

A special thought for Isa

Please send-me your character proposal at prbatblind@veryspeedy.net . I would like most of the characters to be at least middle, indeed upper class: they’re going to travel in the most luxurious train ever constructed, and will need some manners! Besides, most of the characters should also already know each other: but we could of course discuss it later. If need be, I’ve got half a dozen pregens, and could also provide some of the many TotOE official ones, although my personal preference would be brand-new, “fresh” characters.

We’ll start as soon as I have enough candidates.

At last, of course, you mustn’t know the campaign. But conversely, the campaign being surely the best written, the most literary Chaosium product, lots of books & films references would be very opportune. Among them:

The Mystery of the Blue Train & Murder on the Orient Express, two Poirot novels by Agatha Christie
Murder on the Orient Express, directed by Sidney Lumet
The Lady Vanishes, directed by Alfred Hitchcock
From Russia with Love, directed by Terence Young (a Bond film which climax takes place aboard the legendary train)

En voiture !
Dr.Friod
Layman
Layman

Post by Dr.Friod »

This seems intriguing. I can easily keep up with the fast paced rythym you mentioned. I will forward a character concept once I have completed one.
welsh
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by welsh »

You bet! Count me in. I will see about creating a new character too.
http://www.nma-fallout.com

One man's meat may very well be another man's person-
- Anonymous Cannibal
Mongoose
Layman
Layman

Post by Mongoose »

Bien sur, mon ami. Count me in!
Wu Ming
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Wu Ming »

How shuld you like the characters submidted? I've made a prospective travler.
The_Olden_Thing
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by The_Olden_Thing »

Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee's Horror Express is another possible source of inspiration.

Yes, I'm interested. I would like a look at the pregens first, though I do have a character drawn up and ready for use.

daniel.djadh@gmail.com
SuAside
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Post by SuAside »

i'm interested.
any special requirements we should take into account for our characters? any limitations (other than common sense)?
PrBatblind
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Character template

Post by PrBatblind »

Wu Ming wrote: How shuld you like the characters submidted? I've made a prospective travler.

I recognize here the wonderful dedication and meticulousness of Dr Giles' father! I'd indeed like the characters being submited this way (the same I used with Pr. Louchon, in fact.):

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Name:
Sex:
College, Degrees:
Birthplace:

Yearly Income & Propriety

Appearance & Personality
A picture could be added, off course. There are plenty of pretty good ones, CoC oriented, here.

Background
If there are any, a detailed inventory of the countries already visited, especially the European ones, of course, could be very useful.

Characteristics

STR
CON
SIZ
DEX
APP
INT , Idea
POW , Luck/SAN
EDU , Know

Sanity:
current Sanity:
phobias/mental disorders:

Hit Points:
current Hit Points:
Magic Points:
current Magic Points:
Damage Bonus:

Skills: (professional one in italics, .private preceded by a dot; non-base scores bolded)

Accounting (10%):
Anthropology (01%):
Archaeology (01%):
Art (05%):
Astronomy (01%):
Bargain (05%):
Biology (01%):
Chemistry (01%):
Climb (40%):
Conceal (15%):
Craft (05%):
Credit Rating (15%):
Cthulhu Mythos (00%):
Disguise (01%):
Dodge (DEX×2):
Electr. Repair (10%):
Fast Talk (05%):
First Aid (30%):
Geology (01%):
Hide (10%):
History (20%):
Jump (25%):
Law (05%):
Library Use (25%):
Listen (25%):
Locksmith 01%):
Martial Arts (01%):
Mech. Repair (20%):
Medicine (05%):
Natural History (10%):
Navigate (10%):
Occult (05%):
Opr. Hvy. Mch. (01%):
Other Language (01%):
Own Language (EDU×5%):
Persuade (15%):
Pharmacy (01%):
Photography (10%):
Physics (01%):
Pilot (01%):
Psychoanalysis (01%):
Psychology (05%):
Ride (05%):
Sneak (10%):
Spot Hidden (25%):
Swim (25%):
Throw (25%):
Track (10%):

Hand-to-Hand:
Fist/Punch (50%):
Head Butt (10%):
Kick (25%):
Grapple (25%):

Firearms
Handgun (20%):
Machine Gun (15%):
Rifle (25%):
Shotgun (30%):
SMG (15%):

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SuAside wrote: any special requirements we should take into account for our characters?

As a player, a great part of my pleasure consists in playing a character I like, which I fantasized plenty before starting the game. Consequently, the only thing I'll expect from you is to play what you're longing for. I could add or change a few petty things in the background, mostly to make NPCs or PCs contacts more plausible, but that's all, a priori.
SuAside wrote: any limitations (other than common sense)?

Indeed, I saw, even on this forum, lucky characters with all their characteristics ranging from 16 to 18 ! To forbid this, I'd like them to be "bought" with an amount from 100 to 110 points. Besides that point, I suppose we could discuss it as the case may be.

Thanks a lot for your interest.
Last edited by PrBatblind on Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
SuAside
Disciple
Disciple

Post by SuAside »

any idea yet around what year this would be? post-war 1920's would differ quite a bit from pre-war late 30's in both atmosphere & setting.

also which orient express will we be taking? there were 3 different orient expresses at the time, the "normal" one, the "Simplon" (like on your posted picture) or the "Arlberg" one. (dont know if thats actually relevant though)
PrBatblind
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

1923, Simplon-Orient-Express

Post by PrBatblind »

SuAside wrote: any idea yet around what year this would be? post-war 1920's would differ quite a bit from pre-war late 30's in both atmosphere & setting.

also which orient express will we be taking? there were 3 different orient expresses at the time, the "normal" one, the "Simplon" (like on your posted picture) or the "Arlberg" one. (dont know if thats actually relevant though)

I wrote it in the character template post, the year is 1923.
About which train, your character is not exactly supposed to know he's even going to travel – not more than he will expect seeing Nyarlathotep beginning The Masks ! But, you're perfectly right, there were different Orient-Expresses, and I assume it's no spoiler telling the campaign follows the tracks of the Simplon-Orient-Express...
Last edited by PrBatblind on Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wu Ming
Initiate
Initiate

Re: Terror on the Orient-Express

Post by Wu Ming »

PrBatblind wrote: I’d like to keep Terror on the Orient-Express, the renowned classic era campaign.

PrBatBlind wrote: (We’ll start the game January 1923)
SuAside
Disciple
Disciple

Post by SuAside »

Wu Ming wrote: I’d like to keep Terror on the Orient-Express, the renowned classic era campaign.

both pre-war late 1930 & post-war 1920 are classic, so i dont see why you'd quote that ;)
Wu Ming wrote: (We’ll start the game January 1923)

true, my bad, didnt read the charsheet since it doesnt really matter before you know whatcha wanna play, right? nn to rub it in after he already kindly pointed out my mistake :roll:
Wu Ming
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Wu Ming »

SuAside wrote:
Wu Ming wrote:I’d like to keep Terror on the Orient-Express, the renowned classic era campaign.

both pre-war late 1930 & post-war 1920 are classic, so i dont see why you'd quote that ;)
Wu Ming wrote: (We’ll start the game January 1923)

true, my bad, didnt read the charsheet since it doesnt really matter before you know whatcha wanna play, right? nn to rub it in after he already kindly pointed out my mistake :roll:

I apologise I wasn't intending to be, nor seem snide. I think PrBatBlind and I were posting at the same time (there is a minute diffrence in the time stamp.)

On a side note I thought '30s was considered "Pulp" era by CoC classification...?
Wu Ming
Initiate
Initiate

Giovanni ‘Il martello di Siena’ Fucina

Post by Wu Ming »

Posted upon PrBatblind's suggestion.
(This is still preliminary, pending PrBatblind's final approval)
Giovanni ‘Il martello di Siena’ Fucina wrote: Name: Giovanni Fucina
Sex: Male
College, Degrees: None
Birthplace: Monrupino, Italy

Yearly Income & Propriety
$1.501-$2.500 per annum from varied investments and enterprises.
Modest Estate & Workshop in Monrupino, Italy (Inherited from his family)
Small house in Siena, Italy
Giovanni has approximately $5.000 in savings held with intent of easing his ‘Twilight Years’

Appearance & Personality

Giovanni Age 37, 1922

Giovanni is fierce, passionate and boisterous he has a keen mind and much potential but has found the easy path through life is simply to barrel through any obstacles or difficulties, he is forward and direct and has little understanding nor use for subtlety. He’s a large and robust man who was once at the pinnacle of physical prowess, but who is now in obvious decline. He is neither as fast, fit or strong as he once was and is keenly aware of this; although his pride and habit of living fast and hard often lead him to engage in pursuits and actions he is no longer able to achieve as effortlessly as he once did and often finds himself barely succeeding in tasks which he once found inconsequential.

Giovanni’s face is marred by the terrible injury which ended his pugilist career five years earlier, when he lost his left eye to repetitive blows which also shattered the bones of his left cheek and cracked the upper bone of his eye socket. There is massive scar tissue on his left brow and around his now empty socket giving his upper left brow a lumpy angular texture. His left check on the other hand is loose and caved as the bone is no longer there, the loss of skeletal support and several teeth have left Giovanni with a slight whistling-lisp. Giovanni wears a large square black suede patch over his eye which covers the worst of the disfigurement. He is quite sensitive and self conscious about his injury, especially when around women and will often become belligerent and violent if he feels he is being mocked, pitied, or made a spectacle.

Background
Giovanni Fucina was born in Monrupino, Italy in 1886 the only son of Francesca and Antonio Fucina. Giovanni grew up in a rather large home for the small town of Monrupino which was home to both his family and that of his uncle’s as well as his grandfather. As his uncle had only two daughters, Giovanni was the only male of his generation and was raised from childhood with the expectation of his carrying on the family craft and business. His grandfather, father, and uncle were all gunsmiths and his family held several patents and were renown throughout Italy for their beautifully crafted and reliable firearms.

Giovanni possessed neither the aptitude nor inclination for the family’s vocation and much to the despair and often ire of his father and uncle he would spend many of his days out about the streets with the local roustabouts getting into all manner of trouble and petty crime. Giovanni was disowned and turned out of his father’s house when he was fifteen after stealing a pistol and selling it (well below its value) to a local criminal.

Penniless and homeless at fifteen in a small town where his family was well known and respected there was little choice for Giovanni but to leave. A friend suggested he try his hand at prize fighting to earn enough money to leave Trieste province for more auspicious environs, and so Giovanni spent the next year travelling around the warehouse districts, and taverns of Trieste until he gained both the funds and prestige he needed to fight in the bigger cities and bouts of Italy, and eventually abroad.

Giovanni reached the height of his career from 1904-1911 when he fought in venues in all over Italy and the British Isles, as well as France, Germany and even the Americas. He was billed as ‘Il martello di Siena’ (The Hammer of Siena) and fought in both ‘official’ sanctioned bouts and exhibitions as well as bouts of ‘classical pugilism’ popular among the seedier but no less paying members of society.

Giovanni Age 19, 1905

Giovanni’s career came to an end in the summer of 1918 when in a fight with a man nine years his junior savagely beat him in a bout lasting an astonishing sixteen rounds in which Giovanni stubbornly would not relent, despite the both his better judgment and the council of his promoter. It was the last fight he ever fought (professionally) and the vicious beating the Welshman gave him caused the loss of his left eye.

Giovanni spent the next year and a half in hospital and in convalescence, during which his mother died, his grandfather, father and uncle having passed in years previous. Giovanni inherited his family’s home and business upon the event of his mother’s death and shortly returned to Monrupino where he began to dismantle his family’s business to generate capital for his varied financial ventures, the procurement of land and debt being chief among them. Giovanni sold two of his family’s workshops and a majority of their patents to the Italian gunsmith Glisenti as well as a lucrative contract with the Italian military with the stipulation that Giovanni receive 2% of the income generated.

Emilia-Florenza; Mrs. Giovanni Age 22, 1922

Giovanni has recently married Emilia-Florenza Varisco the niece of one his old roguish friends, the union has been both financially and romantically satisfying as Emilia-Florenza has brought a hefty dowry with her, and comes from a well-to-do family, the couple plans to travel the Simplon Orient-Express in celebration of their matrimony.

Characteristics

STR 14
CON 11
SIZ 15
DEX 8
APP 6
INT 17 , Idea 85
POW 10 , Luck/SAN 50
EDU 15 , Know 75

Hit Points: 10
Magic Points: 10
Damage Bonus: +1d4

Skills: (professional one in italics, . private preceded by a dot; non-base scores bolded; handicapped skills in blue.)

.Accounting (10%): 40%
Anthropology (01%):
Archaeology (01%):
Art (05%):
Astronomy (01%):
Bargain (05%):
Biology (01%):
Chemistry (01%):
Climb (40%):
Conceal (15%):
.Craft: Gunsmith (05%): 25%
Credit Rating (15%):
Cthulhu Mythos (00%):
Disguise (01%):
Dodge (DEXx2): 77%
Electr. Repair (10%):
Fast Talk (05%):
First Aid (30%):
Geology (01%):
Hide (10%):
History (20%):
Jump (25%):
Law (05%):
Library Use (25%):
Listen (25%):
Locksmith 01%):
.Martial Arts (01%): 24%
Mech. Repair (20%):
Medicine (05%):
Natural History (10%):
Navigate (10%):
Occult (05%):
Opr. Hvy. Mch. (01%):
.Other Language English (01%): 55%
.Other Language French (01%): 40%
.Other Language German (01%): 35%
Own Language Italian (EDU×5%): 85%
Persuade (15%):
Pharmacy (01%):
Photography (10%):
Physics (01%):
Pilot (01%):
Psychoanalysis (01%):
Psychology (05%):
Ride (05%):
Sneak (10%):
Spot Hidden (25%): 15%
Swim (25%):
Throw (25%): 50%
Track (10%):

Firearms
Handgun (20%): 10%
Machine Gun (15%): 05%
Rifle (25%): 15%
Shotgun (30%): 20%
SMG (15%): 05%

Hand-to-Hand:
Fist/Punch (50%): 78%
Head Butt (10%): 83%
Kick (25%): 45%
Grapple (25%): 75%
PrBatblind
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Welcome aboard, Giovanni !

Post by PrBatblind »

Another masterpiece from Wu Ming!

I thought it could be useful for everybody he posts that soon his wonderful character: it’s a model, formal as well as substantial, and it could already give other players ideas, even the wish to play Emilia-Florenza, or whatever relative or friend. It’s also a start from which we can begin to think how the characters were introduced to each others.

I see from your PMs that the brainstorming has begun, undoubtedly one of my favourite moments of the game. I wanted to add a precision here: I chose to name the campaign because I couldn’t take the risk to regiment a player on an anonymous game till he discovers he already knows it! I had thus to name the Orient-Express. But there’s no obligation at all any of the character already took or plans to travel aboard the train. It could be a plus if it’s the case, but don’t feel dictated to. Finally, we’ll probably start the game in London: it could also be a meeting place, or a start to think over a character.

If some of you are undecided about their character, nobody seems to have shown an interest towards a scholar/professor type yet.

At last, a petty complement to SuAside question:
any special requirements we should take into account for our characters? any limitations (other than common sense)?

I’d like – starting – skills (other than EDU-based Speak own language) not to reach above 89 %.
welsh
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by welsh »

Countess Yekaterina Sergeievna Trapeznikova Burnell
aka- Lady Katrina Burnell
Aka - Katie

Age 33
Sex: Female
Occupation – Dilettante/ Diplomat
College Degrees- Private Tutor, Masters Degree
Birthplace- St. Petersburg, Russia

Yearly Income $55,000 Upper Class

Appearance- Katrina is a small woman, still quite beautiful as she enters her mid 30s.

Background- Katrina Trapeznikov Burnell, born Katrina Trapeznikov, an aristocrat, in St. Petersburg, is currently living in townhouse in London off the inheritance from her husband and from the proceeds of her family fortune currently invested in London and Switzerland. She also maintains a second residence in the South of France, and apartments in Spain, Geneva and Italy.

Little is known of her early childhood, only that she was the daughter of the Russian diplomat Nicolas Trapeznikov and spent much of her early childhood abroad and with private tutors that were lavished upon her. Much of this training went to preparing her to be the wife of a Russian diplomat. As she grew older, she remained close to her family and worked with at the embassy and attended numerous diplomatic functions. These early experiences gave her an appreciation for foreign travel and foreign culture, and a hunger to spend much of her life abroad. She therefore grew up knowing little of Russia or Russian culture.

While working with the Russian Consulate in Hong Kong, she met her husband, Sir Mark Burnell, a rising diplomat within the English Diplomatic Corp. The two quickly fell in love and married within a year. At the onset of the war, the Burnells were sent to Russia to work at the embassy there in order for Russia and Britain to coordinate efforts. They were in Russia in 1917, the year of Revolution. During this period the Burnells turned their attention to helping members of the Russia aristocracy, and their fortunes, escape to the West.

Katrina’s father was killed in Russia by Bolsheviks in 1917 the same year the Burnells were forced to leave Russia and returned to the Far East. Mark was murdered in 1918 in Hong Kong, and Katrina returned to England to settle matters concerning the Burnell estate as well as see to her own families fortune. The couple had no children.

Since the end of the War Katrina has been living off her family inheritance. Her Russian language skills and prior service for the British Foreign Service have often led to her performing services on behalf of Her Majesty’s government and her adopted country. Much of this concerns work with other members of the Russian émigré community throughout Europe and the diplomatic staffs of foreign countries.

This requires her to travel extensively and meet with members of foreign governments and local leaders. Formally she is often recognized as the Countess Katerina or sometimes simply as Lady Katerina. Her aristocratic titles allows her some level of influence which she often utilizes for humanitarian and political causes.

She likes to travel and knows that she is attractive. Althought she mourned the loss of her husband, she is still a young woman and would consider remarriage. She will assume the position as a rich dilettante enjoying her money on foreign, often romantic, adventure. Indeed, Katrina is often aware of her attractiveness and has enjoyed numerous romantic liaisons on such trips. That said, she is beginning to think about settling down and raising the family she missed with her deceased husband.

When not working or traveling, Katrina is often found on holiday in Spain, the South of France or in Italy. She maintains a house in the South of France and apartments in Geneva, Italy and Spain for these purposes.

Katerina acknowledges and appreciates the wealth she has inherited, but often makes little express mention of it. Although formally she is often introduced as either the Countess Katerina or Lady Katerina, she prefers to be called either Katerina or Kate. She maintains a modest household staff at her home in London and her summer residence in France, and no staff in Italy or Spain. When she travels it is rarely with accompanying staff or a bodyguard.

Characteristics-
STR – 9
CON-13
POW- 17
DEX- 12
APP- 17 (Note +1 as diplomat)
SIZ – 10
INT – 15
EDU -20

Idea- 75%
Luck- 85%
Know-100%
Sanity- 75%

Hit point- 12
Damage Bonus- 0
Magic Points 17

Skills-
(professional skills in bold, personal have a + in front - sorry couldn't figure out the dots).

Accounting (10%):
Anthropology (01%):
Archaeology (01%):
Art (05%):
Astronomy (01%):
Bargain (05%):
Biology (01%):
Chemistry (01%):
Climb (40%):
Conceal (15%):
+ Craft – Piano or Song 30 %
Credit Rating- (50%) (Note +30 as diplomat)
Cthulhu Mythos (00%):
Diplomacy 70% -
Disguise (01%):
+Dodge – 40%
Electr. Repair (10%):
Fast Talk (50%)
First Aid (30%)
Geology (01%):
Hide-( 45%)
History (30%):
Jump (25%):
Law (05%):
Listen (50%)
+Library Use ( 45%)
Locksmith 01%):
Martial Arts (01%):
Mech. Repair (20%):
Medicine (05%):
Natural History (10%):
Navigate (10%):
Occult (05%):
Opr. Hvy. Mch. (01%):
Own Language- Russia 90%
+Other Language- English- 50%
Other Language – French 40%
Other Language- Chinese - Cantonese- 30% spoken 15% written
Other Language- Italian 15 %
Persuade – (55%)
Pharmacy (01%):
Photography (10%):
Physics (01%):
Pilot (01%):
Psychoanalysis (01%):
Psychology (50%)
Ride (05%):
Sneak (50%)
Spot Hidden (50%)
Swim (25%):
Throw (25%):
Track (10%):

* Note Diplomacy- involves both the substantive and practical skills of diplomats. Such knowledge would include diplomatic etiquette, the laws governing diplomats, foreign policy making and history, and the practice of negotiating and bargaining to resolve matters of difference (similar to bargain in a commercial transaction- likewise utilizing fast talk and persuade skills).

Hand-to-Hand:
Fist/Punch (50%):
Head Butt (10%):
Kick (25%):
Grapple (25%):

Firearms
+ Handgun- (60%- Walther Model 8)
http://www.gunsworld.com/walther/model8.html
Machine Gun (15%):
Rifle (25%):
Shotgun (30%):
SMG (15%):
+Knife- Switchblade- 65%

Both weapons are often kept close to her person, either hidden on her body or in her handbag and she rarely travels outside of England without either. As a diplomat she has received permission to carry these weapons as a matter of personal security, or at least, when she doesn't have that permission, she has learned to hide these weapons inside a hidden compartment within her bags. Other personal items include her purse, money, a hairbrush, mirror, a razor, perfume, tissues and a variety of other items often found within a woman's handbag.

Last edited by welsh on Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:50 pm, edited 5 times in total.

- Anonymous Cannibal
welsh
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by welsh »

Nice character Wu-Ming. Are we also to expect a character for Emilia-Florenza?

Also I wonder if Katerina and Giovanni are acquainted.

- Anonymous Cannibal
The_Olden_Thing
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by The_Olden_Thing »

Oh wow...this is gonna be alot more difficult than I thought. Jeeze...
Jhaal
Layman
Layman

Post by Jhaal »

welsh wrote: Nice character Wu-Ming. Are we also to expect a character for Emilia-Florenza?

I am in the process of detailing Emilia-Florenza, Wu Ming and I are working it, and it should be posted in the next couple of days.
welsh wrote: Also I wonder if Katerina and Giovanni are acquainted.

Wu Ming should be replying in regards to this 'shortly' (or so he says.)
PrBatblind
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Mr & Mrs

Post by PrBatblind »

Jhaal wrote:
welsh wrote:Nice character Wu-Ming. Are we also to expect a character for Emilia-Florenza?

I am in the process of detailing Emilia-Florenza, Wu Ming and I are working it, and it should be posted in the next couple of days.
welsh wrote: Also I wonder if Katerina and Giovanni are acquainted.

Wu Ming should be replying in regards to this 'shortly' (or so he says.)

Wonderful ! With two characters husband and wife, and the others diversely acquainted, we should have a realy cohesive group.

If need be, I created a new pregen, especially ... Express-oriented ! People interested by a haughty French young philosophy teacher can peek at Jean-Michel Ricard.

Return to “... I'm Thinking Of Running A Game”