Leagues of Adventure

Please post here if you're trying to gauge interest in a NEW game, which you'd like to run on Play@YSDC
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Leagues of Adventure

Post by Priest »

Recently I have purchased a quick start rule pack for the Leagues of Adventure from Triple Ace Games. Using the Ubiquity rule system, it deals with a quasi Victorian setting. One of excitement, adventure and derring-do.
Not especially Chulhuish or general horror (although there is no reason why it can’t be), I would like to try this system out on here, to see if it is as good as it seems.
To facilitate this I require five or six players to undertake a one shot (possibly two) adventure as a means of learning this simple Ubiquity system.
Characters are all Pregen, they are;
Big Game Hunter
Consulting Detective
Hard Working Reporter (Female)
Explorer
Crackpot Antiquarian
Pioneering Aviatrix (Female)

The system is a simple affair where numerous dice are rolled with each even number result (a success) Versus a modifier subject target number. Okay it’s a bit deeper than that but that is the general flavour.
So if your interested in a Victorian adventure, sign up for the ride.

“In Leagues of Adventure the characters are all middle and upper class Victorians who go on wild adventures in response to wagers, handsome payments from rich patrons, invitations from adventuring leagues, or
simply out of sheer boredom. Opportunities abound to thwart dastardly deeds, discover lost cities, mingle with new cultures, and plumb the darkest depths of the globe.”
(Plateau of the Ape Men & The Dragons of London)
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 3 months

Re: Leagues of Adventure

Post by Tabs »

I had to post this pic. On "realroleplaying" I played Tabitha "Tabs" Barclay:

Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Nice. So does that mean you might be up for it?
- Anais Nin
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Yes, but my feminine-roleplaying side has dried up, so I'd like to play the Explorer or Crackpot Antiquarian.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

It would appear that other than yourself there is no interest in this. Shame really since I do believe the Ubiquity system has possibilities
- Anais Nin
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

:P
Shroudeye
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 10 years 8 months

Post by Shroudeye »

I do not know a whole lot about the Ubiquity System. Could you please tell us more?
Dominic Pius, The Last Express

Raymond MacIntyre, The Shadow Over Dunwich

Daedalus Wickliff, The Aquitania

I don't want to see another cop or cookie in my life. I don't know which one makes me sicker
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

The Ubiquity System (on the back of a postage stamp)

Leagues of Adventure is a roleplaying game set in the late Victorian Age. Its larger-than-life heroes and villains and continuing adventures are powered by Ubiquity, an innovative game system that emphasizes storytelling and cinematic action. The Ubiquity system provides you with the tools and flexibility to play the kind of game you and your group want to play.
Dice
Unlike most other roleplaying games, Ubiquity does not use a specific type of dice. Any die will work, as long as it has an even number of sides. When making an Attribute or Skill check, roll a number of dice equal to the dice pool and count up the number of even numbers used. This total is the number of successes rolled. Odd numbers do not subtract from the number of successes.
Example: Rolling seven dice give a result of 1, 4, 5, 7, 8, 8, and 11. Tally up the even- numbered dice (4, 8, and 8) for a result of three successes. (I have tried this out on Invisible Castle and the dice roller handles it okay)
Dice Rolls
Dice rolls are made by rolling a number of dice equal to the appropriate Skill or Attribute rating, and counting the successes. If the player gets successes equal to or more than the Difficulty of the task, she succeeds. Weapon, equipment, and situational modifiers may increase or decrease the number of dice rolled.
Taking the Average
If a character’s average skill rating is greater than or equal to the Difficulty rating, the player may choose not to roll the dice and automatically succeed instead.
Players may not Take the Average during combat, or in stressful situations (as determined by the Gamemaster). On the other hand, the Gamemaster may choose to Take the Average for non-player characters’ dice rolls in order to speed up combat. If a Skill or Attribute rating is listed with a “+” sign, the character rolls a single die. A success adds one to the average rating, a failure does not.

(adapted from Plateau of the Ape Men & The Dragons of London)
- Anais Nin
Shroudeye
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Shroudeye »

Seems like a good system so far and would be something I could wrap my mind around easily. Thank you for explaining about it further. I am still curious about character generation though, could you show one of these pre-gen's?

I don't want to see another cop or cookie in my life. I don't know which one makes me sicker
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

http://www.tripleacegames.com/free-down ... adventure/
The above link will take you to the Triple Ace Games home page where the download , 'Gentlemans Reference Sheet' provides information on how to create a character
- Anais Nin
Shroudeye
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Shroudeye »

Thanks for the information. I was also wondering what the first stat on a creature meant? It is called patron and has a number next to it. I saw this on one of the examples of gothic monsters under the free download section of the tripleA site.

Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

I have no idea what that first stat means. I can only presume that it figures in the full rulebook. What I have is just a ruleslite taster for the system, I'm hoping to give this a run and see if its worth getting the full rules.
According to the introduction the Ubiquity System was developed by Exile Game Studio and first appeared in their 'Hollow Earth Expeditions'.
I have this game and it does look impressive if you like the pulp age of the 1930s-40s. Obviously there are some differences in the rule system used in the two games. But the basic system remains the same.
I still want to give this system a whirl and see how it goes, hence the introductory scenario with pregen characters and limited rules. If it works as I hope then I see no reason why it shouldn't be adapted to a pulpy Cthulhu game.
So if you are interested in giving it a try, sign up. With Tabs that would be two PCs, one more and I'd get it set up.
- Anais Nin
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by DrPeterson »

This game has a stat for style?!

Sign me up!

One consulting detective at your service! Now let me get my violin and briar pipe and I'm ready to go!
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

He's all yours, I'll pm the character to you in anticipation of getting a board.
- Anais Nin
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

I've set up the new board for you here. I used the quote from the initial post as the blurb, but I can change it to something else if you prefer.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Thanks MrH. We shall see if it attracts players and see if it's viable beyond a one shot.

I got this from the rulebook and might prove a better introduction,
Leagues of Adventure is a roleplaying game set in the late Victorian Age. It follows the grand traditions of fiction such as H. G. Wells’ The War of the Worlds, The Island of Doctor Moreau, and The Time Machine, Edgar Rice Burroughs’ Tarzan series, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s The Lost World and The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, Jules Verne’s Around the World in Eighty Days,Five Weeks in a Balloon, and The Adventures of Captain Hatteras, Rudyard Kipling’s The Man Who Would Be King, and H. Rider Haggard’s King Solomon’s Mines and She—works which laid the foundations for the later pulp and steampunk genres.
In many regards Leagues of Adventure follows the tradition of the pulp genre, albeit set in an earlier era. It is a world where much is happening:
- Anais Nin
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

If I may be so bold as to make a suggestion in the hope of attracting at least one more participant, the Explorer, Big Game Hunter or Diligent Reporter (Female) are recommended.
- Anais Nin

Return to “... I'm Thinking Of Running A Game”