Call of Cthulhu: Take Back the Earth

Please post here if you're trying to gauge interest in a NEW game, which you'd like to run on Play@YSDC
Rogerd
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 11 years

Call of Cthulhu: Take Back the Earth

Post by Rogerd »

This is an idea of mine.

Basically the premise is that the mythologies of old prepared an Alpha Strike against the interlopers and were mercilessly crushed leaving survivors scattered around the globe that band together, not because they want to, but because they need to in order to survive, those that would hunt them down have a distinct numerical and logistical advantage. But rumours abound of artifacts beyond the Earth, beyond the spheres they know about; so they search for relics and items of power.

Anyway the players are mythological beings from history: Titans, Giants, Shapeshifters, Sidhe, Angel, or Demon, Elementals, Magic / Psychic humans (I'll list others as I think of them, or at player request but must be corporeal). Now in order not to turn this into a wank-fest, players are relatively young, having two professions under their belt, and no skills above 90%.

I'll be using the Reniassance / Clockwork and Chivalry as base rules.

Thoughts, criticism?

Not sure if it is a good idea or not.....
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: Call of Cthulhu: Take Back the Earth

Post by Mr. Handy »

I've never seen anything like this done before, but that could be a good thing. I'd be interested in trying this.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Rogerd
Layman
Layman

Post by Rogerd »

Awesome.....that's one.
Garrett
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 9 months

Post by Garrett »

I would love to do this, can I be a warlock?
Rogerd
Layman
Layman

Post by Rogerd »

Sure you can be a Warlock
Garrett
Adept
Adept

Post by Garrett »

Would I have to be super old and powerful, I was thinking of someone in their late teens/early twenties that made some sort of pact with a demon so that he would be strong enough to fight in this secret war. Would that work?
Rogerd
Layman
Layman

Post by Rogerd »

Pacts with a demon wouldn't work as they can be player characters too....but you could just have some version of an immortality spell. Now i want the players to be able to fight back but I don't want to have to reel out an Old One every five minutes to beat you down, that needs to be an end of series thing.
Garrett
Adept
Adept

Post by Garrett »

If demonic pacts aren't an option what's the differentiation between a warlock and a standard wizard? Also would you allow a demonic pact if no other players chose demons, or if one of them agreed to be the one I made a deal with? What I was thinking was that my character was picked up by a demon who empowered him in exchange for his eternal service, which the child agreed to because serving the demon would mean fighting the old ones. That way if someone else wanted to play a demon, and was willing to, I could just partner up with them; and if nobody played a demon I could just say that he died or something.
But of course your the GM, your call.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

I'm not planning to play a demon, but I am thinking of playing an angel (which would make things really interesting if someone else plays a demon).
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Garrett
Adept
Adept

Post by Garrett »

If this warlock idea can't be done I'm probably playing a demon, depending on how much freedom I have to dictate what exactly a demon is in this world.
Rogerd
Layman
Layman

Post by Rogerd »

Garrett wrote:If demonic pacts aren't an option what's the differentiation between a warlock and a standard wizard? Also would you allow a demonic pact if no other players chose demons, or if one of them agreed to be the one I made a deal with? What I was thinking was that my character was picked up by a demon who empowered him in exchange for his eternal service, which the child agreed to because serving the demon would mean fighting the old ones. That way if someone else wanted to play a demon, and was willing to, I could just partner up with them; and if nobody played a demon I could just say that he died or something.
But of course your the GM, your call.
If you want to be some kind of magic user empowered by a demon that is fine.......although your sponsor as it were will be dead...as far as you know.
Mr. Handy wrote:I'm not planning to play a demon, but I am thinking of playing an angel (which would make things really interesting if someone else plays a demon).
That would work for me.
Garrett wrote:If this warlock idea can't be done I'm probably playing a demon, depending on how much freedom I have to dictate what exactly a demon is in this world.
To be honest I'm not going to box you in too tightly, although I want to try and keep it within known mythology - so demons from Elric are not possible.

But demons are statted in BGB are; Djinn and Ifrit from Merrie England. Then we have Sidhe in CoC Invictus 2, and Titans from Runequest: Slaine (saves me making them up). I would also likely use RQ: Slaine Formorians for Naga, Shapeshifters from Cthulhu Britannica Folklore.

EDIT: Just to you know I'm on GMT when it comes to posting.
Garrett
Adept
Adept

Post by Garrett »

I'm not totally familiar with all the options you just listed off, I only have the base rule book(and it's an old edition). Would it be possible to play a half fiend? You know the child of a demon and a human, and if so what powers would that entail? If I can't do that I'm going to play as a very old(Like, a couple centuries), demonically empowered warlock.
Rogerd
Layman
Layman

Post by Rogerd »

Garrett wrote:I'm not totally familiar with all the options you just listed off, I only have the base rule book(and it's an old edition). Would it be possible to play a half fiend? You know the child of a demon and a human, and if so what powers would that entail? If I can't do that I'm going to play as a very old(Like, a couple centuries), demonically empowered warlock.
Sure, whatever works for you really. As to what powers and stuff it would entail...I honestly have no idea.

I can tell you that a Greater Demon from BGB has the following stats:

Str 3d6+24, Con 3d6+12, Dex 2d6+6, Siz 3d6+12, Int 3d6, Pow 3d6+6, Cha 3d6

And the following traits: Armour (Hide 8 AP), Aura of Terror, Blight, Breathe Flame, Chaotic Features, Claws (1d6), Flight, Regeneration, Sheat of Smoke and Fire (6 AP), Sword (Great 2d8+2d6), Whip (1d3 + 1d6)

So you could use that as a base if you wanted?

Oni from Runequest Samurai have the following stats:

Str 4d6, Con 4d6, Dex 2d6+6, Siz 2d6+10, Int 3d6+2, Pow 3d6+6, Cha 2d6

Traits: Armour (Hide 6 AP), Bite (1d6), Claw (1d4), Chaotic Aura, Chaotic Features, Dark Sight, Immune (Posion), Night Sight, Regenerate, Vulnerable (Ivory x2 dam)

I hope that helps with your ideas?
Garrett
Adept
Adept

Post by Garrett »

So a plain warlock would be pretty under powered right? Also if I decide to play a half fiend can I just make up almost entirely what that entails, provided I don't make myself too powerful?
Rogerd
Layman
Layman

Post by Rogerd »

Garrett wrote:So a plain warlock would be pretty under powered right?
Not at all, human magic-users are listed in Cthulhu Britannica, and can be anything you want them to be. I personally view them to be equal to any of the other templates. Now they won't be as strong as an angel, or a titan - but they will have followed an arcane path of magic, they learnt it the hard way meaning they know more about magic. Now an angel or titan will be innately skilled, but not many will progress beyond that. So take the angel template from BGB, many won't have anymore spells than that. Now a magic-user will have Int x spells and therefore be able to throw down far more puissant assaults when required. Does that make sense?
Garrett wrote:Also if I decide to play a half fiend can I just make up almost entirely what that entails, provided I don't make myself too powerful?
Sure, go right ahead. Why not use the Oni template - they seem fiend-ish and work from there. But I'm kind of lazy :)
Garrett
Adept
Adept

Post by Garrett »

So if I decide to play a warlock could I just give myself normal stats and say I have a spell for just about everything?
Rogerd
Layman
Layman

Post by Rogerd »

Garrett wrote:So if I decide to play a warlock could I just give myself normal stats and say I have a spell for just about everything?
Well...no. You could use the Renaissance RPG book from drivethrurpg - it is completely free:

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/9 ... powder-SRD

I would have no problem with you picking spells from both Alchemy and Witchcraft.

All the rest below are not free (and you don't need them this is me just plugging them), but for me were well worth the money, even if just for ideas and extra information for settings. The deluxe version has fantasy creatures in for the same setting, Clockwork and Cthulhu has more factions than normal black powder source book; and well Clockwork and Cthulhu is the latter setting with gribblies in. Then Dark Streets is a 1920's version with gribblies for the same OGL D101 system.
Garrett
Adept
Adept

Post by Garrett »

Spells look pretty complicated, I think I'll just play the half fiend. I'll check with you when I have a rough idea on what powers I'm hoping you'll allow me.
Rogerd
Layman
Layman

Post by Rogerd »

Garrett wrote:Spells look pretty complicated, I think I'll just play the half fiend. I'll check with you when I have a rough idea on what powers I'm hoping you'll allow me.
Spells are pretty easy, say you have an Int = 15, then you get 15 spells of whichever magnitude you want.
Garrett
Adept
Adept

Post by Garrett »

Would ingredient gathering be part of the role play or would we just say that I have a spell pouch that contains whatever I need?

Return to “... I'm Thinking Of Running A Game”