Call of Cthulhu: Take Back the Earth

Please post here if you're trying to gauge interest in a NEW game, which you'd like to run on Play@YSDC
Rogerd
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 11 years 1 month

Re: Call of Cthulhu: Take Back the Earth

Post by Rogerd »

Garrett wrote:Would ingredient gathering be part of the role play or would we just say that I have a spell pouch that contains whatever I need?
I'd split magic into three, Alchemy, Witchcraft and Mage (Sorcerer or whatever you want to call it). The latter would require no ingredients and could just cast spells normally.
Garrett
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Post by Garrett »

So would a witches spells be stronger, or just have more variety? I figure there would have to be some advantage if I have to mess around with ingredients and such. Also you never answered my question about having an ingredient pouch. Would gathering ingredients be something I have to worry about?
Also would I use a normal human template and the renaissance book for making my character stats and skills?
And, sorry, one more question, what time period are we playing in.
Rogerd
Layman
Layman

Post by Rogerd »

Garrett wrote:So would a witches spells be stronger, or just have more variety? I figure there would have to be some advantage if I have to mess around with ingredients and such. Also you never answered my question about having an ingredient pouch. Would gathering ingredients be something I have to worry about?
Also would I use a normal human template and the renaissance book for making my character stats and skills?
And, sorry, one more question, what time period are we playing in.
Witches and Alchemy spells can be of various magnitudes, they just require ingredients just to add flavour and be consistent with mythology. Okay if you chose to be a Witch you would require ingredients and they would need collecting. As I said, as a Mage you can use both alchemy and witchcraft without the prerequisites.

Now human magic users are in Cthulhu Britannica but they are no different to normal creation rules, 3d6 across the board except size and int which are 2d6+6. Yes you need normal Renaissance for skills and stats - as the main thing about CoC creation is that those that go for various knowledge or science paths get penalised by having a starting percentage of 0%, whereas many others don't have that; something that seems rather unfair to me and something Renaissance fixes.
Garrett
Adept
Adept

Post by Garrett »

In that case I would just say that I'm a sorcerer who was empowered by a demon and refers to himself as a warlock. Alright, so do I get a bonus to skill points for being a really old warlock? Like do I get to pick the seasoned or veteran template for character creation?
And again are we playing in modern day or old times?
Also will factions and righteousness points be something to worry about?
Rogerd
Layman
Layman

Post by Rogerd »

Garrett wrote:In that case I would just say that I'm a sorcerer who was empowered by a demon and refers to himself as a warlock. Alright, so do I get a bonus to skill points for being a really old warlock? Like do I get to pick the seasoned or veteran template for character creation?
And again are we playing in modern day or old times?
Also will factions and righteousness points be something to worry about?
There will be bonuses to template.....likely a seasoned character of some sort. You will be 300 million years in the past, before the dinosaurs karked it when Elder Things and other gribblies walked the Earth openly.
Garrett
Adept
Adept

Post by Garrett »

I'd be like a caveman/shaman, cool. So I would have like, stone age level tools then? And I assume no righteousness points or factions then?
Rogerd
Layman
Layman

Post by Rogerd »

Garrett wrote:I'd be like a caveman/shaman, cool. So I would have like, stone age level tools then? And I assume no righteousness points or factions then?
You'll still create factions as per usual, as you never know you may encounter some other survivors etc.

No, it won't be Stone Age tools...not exactly, more akin Ramayana 3392 - if you've read the comic. So you'll be able to purchase advanced science and knowledges.
Garrett
Adept
Adept

Post by Garrett »

So what kind of technology is there then, bronze age? Also if there are factions can I pick satanist? Since my character is indirectly serving him by fighting the eldar things. I just want something with a high zeal rating, and also the extra magic point.

Return to “... I'm Thinking Of Running A Game”