Multi Time-Frame Game

Please post here if you're trying to gauge interest in a NEW game, which you'd like to run on Play@YSDC
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Multi Time-Frame Game

Post by Cearlan »

Someone posted on Yoggie that they would like to see a game that spanned different generations, like the cursed Whateleys or Marshes, but in reverse. One family that held / holds back the tide of the Mythos in their particular locality, well that got me thinking - I have a rough draft of such a game and was wondering if there is any interest in such a game?

As I am based in the North East of England, that would be my preferred location, though this is by no means set in stone. Ideas please people.
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: Multi Time-Frame Game

Post by Mr. Handy »

I'd definitely be interested in this! I sort of did a similar thing with the Carpenter family I play in some of the games here, though moving in reverse chronological order. I made Sarah Carpenter first for Ash, a modern game. Then I added in her father, Dr. Lionel Carpenter, to that same game. His father Dr. Oliver Carpenter figures importantly in the background and did some very interesting things in WWII, though I never actually played as him. I am, however, playing as Oliver's sister Irene Carpenter in Home Front Mythos, set in 1941. I also created an uncle of hers and Oliver's, Major Jeremy Carpenter, for Operation: Fallen Reich, but that game never got off the ground. I could extend the family tree back to play Carpenters in the 1920s, the 1890s, or even further back. I also like campaigns that span multiple eras, though my Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu campaign goes back and forth in time rather than going in order.

I like the northeast England setting, and it's something with which you're more familiar. I'm not as familiar with it as I am with London, but that can be a good thing, as I'd like to explore new regions.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

I like the idea of going back in time as well Mr H. The main reason I suggested going forwards in time either generational, or whatever, was that the family's history would already be in place and could be easily referenced by the players. whereas going backwards you are making the history as you go, so significant details may alter the previous investigations history.

(I phrased that in a much more complicated manner than intended I know, but I'm sure you get what I mean).
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

I definitely agree with going forwards in chronological order. The only reason I did it in reverse was that I created my first character in a modern game and ended up working backwards. However, I had to make side branches to the family tree to avoid temporal paradoxes. I could never actually play Oliver Carpenter without making this a possibility, as I couldn't guarantee his survival so that future generations would exist. By going forwards, we don't have to worry about changing history.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

Because we make history ... though no-one outside the family would ever be allowed to be aware of it ... until they are in our clutches ... err I mean until they marry into the family of course
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
tormsen
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 1 month

Post by tormsen »

Sounds interesting. What time period would you start from? It might be fun to do a full-on Cthulhu Invictus=> Dark Ages=> 1890's=> 1920's=> Modern romp. And fill in a few of the gaps, with things like Atomic Cthulhu and such.

I had an idea, which might be a bit too pulpy depending on how it was executed, of having PCs as working as agents (possibly against their own will) for the Yithians. Kind of a Quantum Leap kind of thing, perhaps, though working for a terrifying agenda.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

I had considered the Yithians, but thought they would be too clichéd for the overall story arc of "our family holds back the dark tide" kinda thing.
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by DrPeterson »

The idea sounds lovely!
I'd be keen to participate!
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

tormsen wrote:Sounds interesting. What time period would you start from? It might be fun to do a full-on Cthulhu Invictus=> Dark Ages=> 1890's=> 1920's=> Modern romp. And fill in a few of the gaps, with things like Atomic Cthulhu and such.
Sorry Tormsen, I missed the first part of your post. I was thinking of starting in pre Romanesque times and moving forwards as the story progresses. An self contained, yet part of the overall story arc investigation in each time. The action may not be confined to north east England, just involving members of the <insert name here> family. This would help with character death / replacement as well as there would always be a ready supply of willing, errm I mean dedicated family members to call upon to carry the torch.
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

So we have DrP, Mr Handy and Tormsen signed - or ready to sign up. Still looking for another couple to make it more viable
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Garrett
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Post by Garrett »

I could probably do this, especially if were starting way back in the past, I always wanted to play an old timey cthulu setting.

Return to “... I'm Thinking Of Running A Game”