The Shadow Over Dunwich - Doctor Who meets Call of Cthulhu

Please post here if you're trying to gauge interest in a NEW game, which you'd like to run on Play@YSDC
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

The Shadow Over Dunwich - Doctor Who meets Call of Cthulhu

Post by Mr. Handy »

The Shadow Over Dunwich is the third adventure in a campaign combining classic Doctor Who with Call of Cthulhu. The first adventure, The Terror Out of Time, took place in 1930 London, and the second, The Ninth Planet, took place on Pluto in 2112. You may read them if you wish, but you do not need to know anything about them (or about Doctor Who) to play in this adventure, which takes place in 1985 in Dunwich, England (a real place, not the fictional Dunwich in America). Surviving characters may become companions and travel in the TARDIS for further adventures. The game is set to begin in late September. Players will be expected to post at least twice per week, and I intend to match that pace. Players from previous games in this campaign are welcome to return, though except for those playing the Time Lord and his companions, you'll be playing new characters. New players are welcome to create characters as well. The only restriction is that they must be affiliated with UNIT in some way. They do not have to be soldiers, as there are many possible careers within UNIT. They do not even have to be members of UNIT. "Friendlies" along the lines of journalist Sarah Jane Smith are also an option.

I'll post detailed character creation instructions in a new thread on The Shadow Over Dunwich board when I have time, probably this weekend. In the meantime, the OOC chat thread is up and running.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years

Re: The Shadow Over Dunwich - Doctor Who meets Call of Cthul

Post by CrackheadC. »

Like I said in the other thread, I'm in.
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 17 years

Post by yockenthwaite »

Yup and me too. As long as Elizabeth survives I'll keep playing her. And even if she croaks it I'll find some way to continue :)
Rogerd
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 11 years 1 month

Post by Rogerd »

I'm certainly interested.

Are you using an EU Who stuff? If so, can we play humanoids affiliated to UNIT in some way?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I'm sorry, but the game is currently full. I just had a new player join and pick up the last abanadoned character, and at this stage it would be difficult to introduce a new character. There will probably come a point where I can bring in a new character, and you'd be welcome to join then, but it will be some time.

I'm not familiar with most of the EU stuff, and my campaign is much more influenced by the classic series than the new one. If you're going to be affiliated with UNIT, you'll have to be able to at least pass for human. At this point in history, UNIT's leadership would probably consider non-humans (other than the Doctor) a threat.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rogerd
Layman
Layman

Post by Rogerd »

Mr. Handy wrote:I'm sorry, but the game is currently full. I just had a new player join and pick up the last abanadoned character, and at this stage it would be difficult to introduce a new character. There will probably come a point where I can bring in a new character, and you'd be welcome to join then, but it will be some time.

I'm not familiar with most of the EU stuff, and my campaign is much more influenced by the classic series than the new one. If you're going to be affiliated with UNIT, you'll have to be able to at least pass for human. At this point in history, UNIT's leadership would probably consider non-humans (other than the Doctor) a threat.
EU stuff is where the fun stuff happens. For instance in one Who book we find out that the Oans (Guardians of the Universe from DC) are an extinct polity in Who, and so too are the Shi'ar (Marvel). Both were in the same book. As such can be kind of fun when you look at other franchises EU stuff too where stuff kinda links up.

My idea was to play an immortal, similar to Flint from Trek, but in that he has not yet discovered his heritage yet to join the ranks of the others. As such he would look fully human and UNIT would not know the difference. Aaah....damnation! lol
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I don't remember Flint, but any characters that aren't exactly human would have to have the same vulnerabilities. An "immortal" character would still be able to be killed normally and suffer from reduced attributes due to aging, and would still suffer Sanity loss normally. I'd have to come up with some special rules in that eventuality, as I did for Time Lords.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rogerd
Layman
Layman

Post by Rogerd »

Mr. Handy wrote:I don't remember Flint, but any characters that aren't exactly human would have to have the same vulnerabilities. An "immortal" character would still be able to be killed normally and suffer from reduced attributes due to aging, and would still suffer Sanity loss normally. I'd have to come up with some special rules in that eventuality, as I did for Time Lords.
Well the immortals in Who obviously don't age, unless they want to, and they can then revert back to a previous age - but by and large can be killed by normal weapons and in fact Hermes states that himself in the book. The most powerful possess various psionic abilities but I wouldn't really want that. And they should certainly suffer sanity loss as normal as despite a few quirks they are essentially human.

Those that were known as gods possessed far more abilities.....but then again EU Who is a really messed up place.

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Immortal

Return to “... I'm Thinking Of Running A Game”