Misery Orphanage, 1941 Britain

Please post here if you're trying to gauge interest in a NEW game, which you'd like to run on Play@YSDC
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Re: Misery Orphanage, 1941 Britain

Post by Laraqua »

No older than 13. After that they can get a job and move elsewhere, generally.
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
royya
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Post by royya »

My idea was to play a young maintenance man. He was an orphan himself when he came to this orphanage and he was raised over there. He worked with an old handyman (Mr. Bill) that passed away a year ago at the age of 74. Now this grown up orphan (Age of 18 - 19) lives in a small shed outside the orphanage and works for the four woman that operate the place. Fixing broken shelves and beds, attend the mechanical and electrical equipment of the place.
What do you say ?
Last edited by royya on Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 9 months

Post by Philulhu »

For preference, I think a mix of ages would work better so orphans and others gets my vote over orphans alone.
Garrett
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Post by Garrett »

Hey I actually have a suggestion to for Laraqua, I've made a few role play tweakings myself and I remember you said you needed to figure out how you were going to do children character sheets. I was thinking you could give an automatic penalty like, -5 to -9 to strength and size. Then give a bonus to dexterity, cause kids are harder to grab onto and such, and appearance because kids generally get better reactions when they need something. If you also wanted to penalize Education you could give a bonus to sanity, which reflects that a kid is still piecing together how the world works so the dark truth of the Mythos wouldn't screw their mind up quite as bad.

Just my two cents, its your game.
Garrett
Adept
Adept

Post by Garrett »

Also I have my characters Appearance/personality and Background done if you want it.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

The young maintenance man works for me. If anyone else wants to play an adult you'll need to find out why you're often snooping about and how you can keep yourself involved. A local woman who's recently become a W.V.S. billeting officer might be that snoopy as might a Catholic priest wanting to know why the children aren't ever allowed to church nor are priests allowed in to see them.

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Garrett
Adept
Adept

Post by Garrett »

I still prefer to play an orphan, though I'll do either. By the way I was gonna make my guy a lot younger then I said above, I'm thinking six or seven. Also since I was making my character a genius I was wondering if I could say in my story that I do book keeping for the headmasters(like pay their taxes and stuff), that would put me in a favorable position with them so I understand if I can't.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Even as a math genius you wouldn't be able to muddle through tax files at the age of 6 or 7 as tax law can be quite complex and the forms weren't as easy as they are today - especially for businesses. Having said that, you could double check their math and keep inventory and do stock takes. Rather simple checking things off sort of things and adding up numbers.

Garrett
Adept
Adept

Post by Garrett »

I'll agree to that, I just wanted a job cushy enough to breed ill will from other orphans. It's not important or anything, just fits the story I made.
Garrett
Adept
Adept

Post by Garrett »

hey phil, since Laraqua was thinking of pairing our child characters in the same room I would like to know if your character would be a nark, also how old were you thinking?
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Hi Garrett,

I suspect that the rooms would be shared dorms, so chances are they could end up sharing, unless the orphanage has age restrictions (my character is likely to be thirteen)

Cheers, Phil.
Garrett
Adept
Adept

Post by Garrett »

Could you answer the question I asked, where I asked if you were a kid who would tell on others when they broke the rules. I assume not but I just want to be sure, I'd have to change a few character things if you were, I need to know this from everyone who plays a kid but your the only one I know for sure is at the moment.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Hi Garrett,

How would your character know if mine were a snitch? Has your character done anything that you think one of the other kids might grass him up for? My backstory will say that he's only arrived in the last few days so probably too early to tell... ;)

Cheers, Phil.
Garrett
Adept
Adept

Post by Garrett »

Okay fair enough, and its not so much something he's done so much as something he actively does that someone might grass him for; he's not causing any harm though. If you don't want to tell me that's cool.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Yeah, if he's new he wouldn't have had a chance to snitch yet. He may not even have noticed snitch-able behaviours yet. If anyone's playing a character who's been there awhile then rumors might abound, even if they're not true.

I'll get this one started on Monday (Australia time). Looks like we're going with kids so feel free to make your own sheets. I'm going to go with point buy as dice rolling might be tricky. Adults (the repairman) can use the normal system.

Remember that your EDU can be no higher than your age.
SIZ must be somewhere between 4 (little kids) to 12 (pre-teens)
INT, APP, DEX, POW, and CON can be up to 18.
STR, well, let's make STR cap out at your SIZ as well for a nice rule of thumb as even pre-teens aren't going to be packing a lot of muscle.

You have 80 points with which to build your characters.

The eight educated skills are Spot Hidden, Listen, Sneak, Hide, Climb and three of these: Persuade, Fast Talk, Psychology, Track, Throw, Dodge, Conceal, Fist/Punch or Swim. Anything else can be taken as Intelligence based skills.

Garrett
Adept
Adept

Post by Garrett »

I'm a little confused, are the 80 points to be spent on skills or attributes? If attributes do you still get points from Edu?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

I think the 80 points are for our attributes. Our occupational skills are based on EDU and our hobby skills are based on INT as normal.

Normal rules limit EDU to age-6. Does this mean that we can have it as high as our age instead?

I should have time to create my character this weekend.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Yes, as your total age.

Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

I've got my character background sorted and I'll get stats done this weekend.

Garrett - I'm not trying to be deliberately evasive. My PC will be in a strange environment, having just entered the orphanage. What's normal and/or permissable there is all new to him. If your PC is one of the younger kids, my PC probably wouldn't take an interest in what you do, unless it impacts upon him directly.

Cheers, Phil.
royya
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Post by royya »

STR, APP, DEX, POW, and CON (4d6,4d6,4d6,4d6,4d6=[4, 3, 2, 3], [1, 2, 1, 4], [1, 2, 3, 3], [1, 6, 4, 1], [6, 3, 3, 3])
SIZ, INT, EDU (3d6+6,3d6+6, 4d6+3=[4, 4, 1, 6], [1, 1, 1, 6], [2, 4, 4, 6, 3])

Mike Taylor, Handyman

STR: 13
APP: 7
DEX: 8
POW: 12
CON: 11
SIZ: 14
INT: 8
EDU: 17

SAN: 60 ; Idea: 40 ; Know: 85 ; Luck: 60
Magic Points: 12
Hit Points: 13
Damage Bonus: +1d4

Skills: dot-bold skills are occupation / italic skill are hobby
Accounting (10%):
Anthropology (01%):
Archaeology (01%):
Art (05%):
Astronomy (01%):
Bargain (05%):
Biology (01%):
.Chemistry (01%): 51%
.Climb (40%): 60%
Conceal (15%):
.Craft Toys(05%): 30%
Credit Rating (15%):
Cthulhu Mythos (00%):
Disguise (01%):
Dodge (DEX×2):
Drive Auto (20%):
.Electrical Repair (10%): 66%
Fast Talk (05%):
First Aid (30%):
Geology (01%):
Hide (10%):
History (20%):
Jump (25%):
Law (05%):
Library Use (25%):
Listen (25%):
Locksmith [01%): 61%
Martial Arts (01%):
.Mechanical Repair (20%): 68%
Medicine (05%):
Natural History (10%):
Navigate (10%):
Occult (05%):
.Operate Heavy Machine (01%): 15%
Own Language: English (EDU×5%): 85%
Persuade (15%):
Pharmacy (01%):
Photography (10%):
Physics (01%): 21%
Pilot (01%):
Psychoanalysis (01%):
Psychology (05%):
Ride (05%):
Sneak (10%):
.Spot Hidden (25%): 65%
Swim (25%):
Throw (25%):
Track (10%):
Last edited by royya on Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."

Return to “... I'm Thinking Of Running A Game”