Misery Orphanage, 1941 Britain

Please post here if you're trying to gauge interest in a NEW game, which you'd like to run on Play@YSDC
Garrett
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 9 months

Re: Misery Orphanage, 1941 Britain

Post by Garrett »

This is to the players as much as Laraqua, I'm making my character as a book smart guy so I'm dropping most of my points on academic skills. I was wondering do you think it would be better to have 5 or 6 skills at around 30-40% each. Or have two or three skills and have them really high? My decision will probably depend on how long this roleplay is going to go on and if there will be chances to improve my skills.
Here are the two skill lists I'm split between.

Biology (01%): 36%
Chemistry (01%): 36%
Mythos (00%):
Dodge (DEX x 2%): 75%
First Aid (30%): 50%
History (20%): 50%
Library Use (25%): 50%
Listen (25%): 75%
Occult (05%): 40%
Own Language: English (EDU x 5%):
Psychology (05%): 72%

Mythos (00%):
First Aid (30%): 70%
History (20%): 70%
Library Use (25%): 70%
Occult (05%): 50%
Own Language: English (EDU x 5%): 40%
Last edited by Garrett on Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 8 months

Post by Philulhu »

If your PC's been a swot then there's a chance he'd been good in the three R's - reading, writing and arithmetic - and possibly history (kings and queens, major battles, etc. learned by rote) and geography. There would be physical education and possibly woodwork as well, although it sounds like your PC is unlikely to excelled in the latter two ;)

Do we have a list of skills? I had a look at those used for Byakhee for 1920 but they're more for adults than children - not many kids will have had a chance to try their hand at Drive Auto or Operate Heavy Machinery :)
Garrett
Adept
Adept

Post by Garrett »

lol, I just posted my list as you typed that response.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Laraqua »

You can use the 1920s list but don't put any ranks into skills that are obviously silly (like Drive Auto or Operate Heavy Machinery) though if you're a pre-teen a small bit of Mechanical Repair is possible. Anywho, just use your common sense and go from there.

As for skills and ranks, you're better off having a spread of skills as most people do and it gives you more of a chance to get involved in multiple circumstances.
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Garrett
Adept
Adept

Post by Garrett »

alright, I'll go with the shorter list then.
Finished my character, feel free to change anything you need to.

Name: Moses AKA: Martian
sex: Male
Current Residence: Orphanage

Characteristics
STR: 5
CON: 6
SIZ: 5
DEX: 16
APP: 4
POW: 18
INT: 18
EDU: 8

Luck: 80%
Idea: 80%
Know: 40%

Hit Points: 6
Sanity: 90
Maximum Sanity: 99
Magic Points: 18
Damage Bonus: -1d6

Appearance and Personality
Martian is Indian (As in India, not Native american)
Martian is scrawny to the point he looks sickly despite the fact he eats healthily, and has a small head that makes his eyes appear very big. This, combined with the fact he talks about humans in third person,(For example saying "humans are so interesting.") has earned him his nickname. He speaks only when spoken to and almost always has his head burried in a book.
The exception to this is a secret only his roomate would know, Martian has a pet racoon that comes to his window every night for food. Martian named it Julius, every night he talks to it for hours, usually about whatever he read that day, and feeds it. Martian actaully loves talking but the abuse he suffered in his younger years made him very meek, he walks around with his head down and never looks at anyone. People don't realize it but he sleeps spasmadically throughout the day in the exact same position he reads in, combined with the sleeping he does at night he gets about six hours a day.

Background
Following orphan cliche Martian was abondoned on the orphanage door step in a wicker basket, however there was also a large sum of money in the basket and a note that said not to look for his family. (Lets say the equivelent of 10k) Nobody at the orphanage knows this but he was born to a family living several cities away(they did not want to be traced) to an unwed teenager of a wealthy family. Of course the womans father was ashamed and decided to keep everything a secret, keeping her daughter locked in the house until she gave birth, then ditching the baby. He didn't tell his daughter where the child is or even what he did with it.
At the orphanage a combination of his race and advanced intellect made Martian a target for abuse from other children. This went on until the wardens discovered he was a genius and had him start doing work for them, naturally this led to many privelages for him. Including complete use of the library, a cheap chemistry set( If this is too much I understand), and freedom from other chores. Recently at the orphanage some of the younger kids, and a few of the older ones, have taken to looking at Martian as a source of information. He doesn't show any emotion when responding, usually not even looking up from his book, and usually answers in as few words as possible. Nobody realizes it, in fact most think the opposite, but he is actually very happy about this and loves answering questions.

Skills
All edited skills are bold

Biology (01%): 36%
Chemistry (01%): 36%
Mythos (00%): 0%
First Aid (30%): 50%
History (20%): 50%
Library Use (25%): 50%
Occult (05%): 40%
Own Language: English (EDU x 5%): 40%
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

What will the in-game date be when we start?
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

Post by aine »

Is it too late to join? I can sort out a character sheet tomorrow (Sunday) and am thinking about being a very little kid (age 4-5), cherubic, who sucks a blanket but has some unlikely hidden skills/talent for something-not sure what yet. Parents unknown probably. If you have enough players already Laraqua then I'll bow out and just enjoy reading the plot as it develops.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Player: Mr. Handy
Name: Clive Higgins
Sex: Male
Current Residence: Misery Orphanage
Birthplace: London, England

Characteristics:
STR: 8
CON: 10
SIZ: 9
DEX: 11
APP: 8
INT: 11 (Idea - 55)
POW: 13 (Luck - 65)
EDU: 10 (Know - 50)

Sanity: 65
Phobias/Mental Disorders: None
Maximum Sanity: 99
Hit Points: 10
Magic Points: 13
Damage Bonus: +0

Background: Clive Higgins is a precocious youngster who has a variety of interests. His father died at Dunkirk, and his mother was killed in the Blitz. He had been evacuated to the countryside prior to that, so he had survived, but he was placed in Misery Orphanage after his mother's death. He wants to join the RAF when he grows up, and he looks up to pilots as heroes. He enjoys planespotting, learning to identify various aircraft by their shapes and sounds. He also likes stargazing, and he insists that one day he's going to fly a rocket ship into outer space. He is obsessed with science fiction and weird tales, particularly Buck Rogers. He reads books, magazines, and comics in the genre every chance he gets. He also plays a lot of sports.

Clive has taken a liking to Martian and looks after him, standing up to the bigger kids when they try to bully him. In return, Martian gets him the science fiction books he craves from the library. Clive sometimes wonders if Martian really is a Martian. He hopes so, because that would be swell!

Skills: (Non-default skills BOLD, Professional Skills ITALICS, Hobbies preceded by a DOT. Checked skills followed by a *
Accounting (10%):
Anthropology (01%):
Archaeology (01%):
Art (05%):
.Astronomy (01%): 36%
Bargain (05%):
Biology (01%):
Chemistry (01%):
Climb (40%): 55%
Conceal (15%):
Craft (05%):
Credit Rating (15%):
Cthulhu Mythos (00%):
Disguise (01%):
Dodge (DEX x 2%): 52%
Drive Auto (20%):
Electrical Repair (10%):
Fast Talk (05%): 35%
First Aid (30%):
Geology (01%):
Hide (10%): 35%
History (20%):
Jump (25%):
Law (05%):
.Library Use (25%): 40%
Listen (25%): 45%
Locksmith (01%):
Martial Arts (01%):
.Mechanical Repair (20%): 30%
Medicine (05%):
Natural History (10%):
.Navigate (10%): 45%
.Occult (05%): 20%
Operate Heavy Machinery (01%):
Other Language (01%):
Own Language: English (EDU x 5%): 50%
Persuade (15%):
Pharmacy (01%):
Photography (10%):
Physics (01%):
Pilot (01%):
Psychotherapy (01%):
Psychology (05%):
Ride (05%):
Sneak (10%): 40%
Spot Hidden (25%): 55%
Swim (25%):
Throw (25%): 45%
Track (10%):
War Prestige (01%):

Hand-to-Hand:
Fist/Punch (50%):
Grapple (25%):
Head Butt (10%):
Kick (25%):
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Garrett
Adept
Adept

Post by Garrett »

Sweet, Martian has a guardian.
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 11 months

Post by CrackheadC. »

If there is more room, I would like to join.
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

Post by aine »

I have written a sheet up just in case.

Background: Peregrine Fairweather is a small, beautiful child with cherubic blonde curls. Aged four, he has not much to say for himself but drinks in, through his big blue eyes, everything that the world throws at him. His angelic appearance belies a strong constitution and a strong, perceptive mind. Peregrine is insightful and perceptive for such a young child.

He was recently deposited at the Misery Orphanage by a prim and severely thin nurse, dressed all in black. The woman had a short meeting with the Orphanage staff, leaving relevant particulars (to come) about the boy, and then left. Peregrine just stood there, holding an old tatty bit of blue blanket. He started to suck the corner of it as he gazed slowly around the foyer.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Not statted up yet, but here's my character background.

Jimmy Walker

An East End lad, Jimmy is thin and wiry with a shock of dark hair. He's of average height for his age. Not one for sitting still, Jimmy is happiest when he is out and about, exploring the bombed-out buildings or spending time down by the local canal. When his dad was around, he would spend time down his at shed, helping the old man to tinker with his AJS, keeping the old motorbike ticking over.

Jimmy's an indifferent scholar and is just passing time at school until he can leave, when he'll start work as a telegraph lad at the local post office.

- - - - - - - - - - -

Investigator Name: Jimmy Walker
Birthplace: Stepney, London
Mental Disorders: None

Sex: M Age: 13

STR: 10 DEX: 11 INT: 10 Idea: 50
CON: 12 APP: 9 POW: 8 Luck: 40
SIZ: 11 SAN: 40 EDU: 9 Know: 45

99-Cthulhu Mythos: 99 Damage Bonus: none

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Accounting 10%
Anthropology 1%
Archaeology 1%
Astronomy 1%
Bargain 30%
Biology 1%
Chemistry 1%
Climb 55%
Conceal 45%

Credit Rating 15%
Cthulhu Mythos 0%
Dodge 50%
Drive Auto 20%
Electrical Repair 10%
Fast Talk 5%
First Aid 30%
Geology 1%
Handgun 20%
Hide 30%
History 20%
Jump 45%
Law 5%
Library Use 25%
Listen 45%
Locksmith 1%
Machine Gun 15%
Martial Arts 1%
Mechanical Repair 35%
Medicine 5%
Natural History 10%
Navigate 35%
Occult 5%
Operate Hvy. Machine 1%
Own Language: English 45%
Persuade 15%
Pharmacy 1%
Photography 10%
Physics 1%
Psychoanalysis 1%
Psychology 5%
Ride 5%
Rifle 25%
Shotgun 30%
Sneak 40%
Spot Hidden 47%

Submachine Gun 15%
Swim 25%
Throw 25%
Track 10%
Fist/Punch 65%
Head Butt 10%
Kick 35%
Grapple 25%
Small Knife* 30%

Uprated skills in bold.

- - - - - - - - - - -

The light shadowed unevenly across the paper, struggling to make its way through the dirty windows of orphanage dormatory. Jimmy sat with a pencil in hand, staring at the blank paper in front him, trying to think how to begin. He frowned and began to write.

Cpl. D J Walker
12th Lancers

Daer Father,

I am riting to you from the orphanage were I have been living since last week. The matron siad it wuld be nice for me to rite to you to let you know were I was.

I am sharing a room with some other boys – most of them are younger than me but it is all rite and we get fed. There is plenty to do with school and chores and that so I dunt get into much mischief. We're out in the countryside so theres lots of animals. Its like that holiday we had on the farm when I was little.

Whats it like being a prisoner of war? Borin I suppose, but you can rite and tell me all about it.

Yor loving son,

Jimmy Walker

Jimmy looked again at the letter in front of him and his eyes welled up. He glanced around surreptitiously but no one was watching. There was only one other boy in the dormitory, a younger lad called Arthur who lay on his bed, staring catatonically at the ceiling.

They said that Arthur had seen the explosion that killed his mother and his two younger sisters. Jimmy had been spared that, he’d been at school when the bombers went over but he’d heard the explosions and somehow known that they came from the direction of home. He’d run all the way as soon as the all-clear sounded but there was nothing left – the house had taken a direct hit. The ARP Warden said that his mum wouldn’t have known a thing about it but that was scant consolation to Jimmy.

He wiped his nose on his sleeve, and then quickly rubbed his eyes before his tears fell and marked the paper. He looked at the letter again. His father was in a POW camp in Germany; injured in the retreat to Dunkirk and left behind for the Jerries to look after. He wanted to tell his father how much he missed his mum, how much even he missed him, even though he was quick to anger, particularly after he’d had a drink, but the matron said it wouldn’t do to worry him. His father had enough to think about, being a prisoner and everything. ‘Stiff upper lip,’ the matron had said. Jimmy hadn’t trusted himself to reply.

Jimmy took up his pencil again and carefully marked two x’s under his name, hoping his father wouldn’t think he was going soft. He folded the paper in two and slotted into the envelope given to him by the matron. Her neat copperplate writing said ‘Cpl. D J Walker, 12th Lancers’ followed by the battalion HQ address – Jimmy had lost his father’s POW address in the bombing.

He sighed and stood up, stuffing the letter into the pocket of his shorts. He walked past the dormitory bed and paused by Arthur’s bed. “Stiff upper lip,” he said, tapping Arthur’s foot but the younger boy didn’t reply, just continuing to stare at the ceiling. Jimmy shook his head and headed for the door and off in search of matron to post his letter.
Last edited by Philulhu on Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:01 am, edited 4 times in total.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Laraqua »

Hmm, we'll have it be nice and spring time. May 13th, 1941. Shortly before 'Home Guard Sunday' which the local Father has been pushing for the orphans to be able to attend. (I may need to double check the dates but I believe it's May 15th, don't have it in front of me but it'll do for now).

I'm figuring on putting the orphanage in Gloucestershire somewhere. I'll do a bit of research to double check that the area is suitable. Basically, small country town that's big enough to have most of the amenities (some rural areas hadn't changed much over the past couple hundred years) but it small enough to be mostly wide open farmland and an almost idyllic Miss Marple style.

Aine and CrackheadC. are both most welcome to join but then we shall have enough.

Obviously there is an R Rating that will apply here as children will be in danger and there will be plenty of physical child abuse, potential serious neglect, and possibly the murder of children (your characters are kids and will risk death, after all). I'll try to sensitively handle it as this game is intended to be creep under your skin rather than shock you senseless. It isn't Kult, after all, so you don't have to worry about lovingly detailed torture scenery or sexual abuse and if there is any more particularly nasty physical abuse (i.e. torture) it'll likely occur off-screen. Still, if you think you'll have difficulties dealing with concepts of children getting badly hurt or killed then you should back out now. As I said, you're child protagonists in Call of Cthulhu. Bad things are likely to happen unless you're really lucky with the dice and quite clever.

In other news, I will be introducing modifiers. If you're particularly clever, you'll get a bonus to applicable rolls. If your character isn't so clever in their choices, they'll take penalties. Even bad choices can sometimes be pulled off.
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/

Return to “... I'm Thinking Of Running A Game”