New Game - Based off "King of Chicago"

Please post here if you're trying to gauge interest in a NEW game, which you'd like to run on Play@YSDC
coffee demon
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

New Game - Based off "King of Chicago"

Post by coffee demon »

Hey people,

I'm going to start Keeper-ing, and I'd like to run through some published scenarios. If characters from a certain scenario are cool, and survive, there's the option of continuing them into a longer campaign that would be based around those characters.

The first one will be based off Chaosium's King of Chicago.

This adventure gets mixed reviews - the bad reviews are probably from Keepers who played it right out of the book. I'm going to tweak it a bit, but not enough to make it unrecognizable. Anyone who's read King of Chicago probably shouldn't play, unfortunately.

It would be nice if players could figure out a way that they know each other. I could also see it working if there are two seperate groups of characters who don't know each other - one group could have ties with the mob.

The scenario will take place in 1931 in Chicago, after Al Capone was indicted for tax evasion, and forced to leave town. This left a power vacuum in the city, with other gangs vying for "The Throne."

Most occupations should work well, including gangster types. I already have two players interested (old friends of mine), and we could do with 2-4 more. Players should be able to post at least once a day during the week (weekends, who knows...)

I'll let the two new players describe their characters, but one sounds like he'll be an overweight, lazy Private Dick.

I should add that I'm going to be away for January - hopefully we can get started before then, and pick it up when I return.

Lets hear some character ideas!
thewhatchamacallit
Keeper
Keeper

Post by thewhatchamacallit »

I'm in and I'm a gangster, if you'll have me good sir :wink:
coffee demon
Keeper
Keeper

Post by coffee demon »

You're in! That's three characters so far, and at least one Thompson submachinegun, I suppose? :shock:

If you want a Thompson, I think I'm gonna say that you're right in with a mob, and may be recognized by rival gangs. So its a "good and bad" thing - you can be a lackey or new guy, who relies on a pistol/shotgun, and can walk around without being recoginzed as often, or you can be Joey "The Hacksaw" Ramouli, with a big gun and a wicked reputation as the meanest man north of 16th Avenue.

Depending how the game runs, a recognizable gangster might miss out on some sneaky, subterfuge bits. But who needs subterfuge? :D

I'll make sure all the characters are kept busy, whatever they do, though :)
imme
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 17 years 8 months

Post by imme »

Ooooo. Could I play the girlfriend of a ganster? I'd love to play the femme fatale type, nothing darling about her. She could either be tied to a PC (Whatcha?), or some NPC's dame (in which case I can think of some fun possible connections to PCs :wink:).

Oh, maybe I should consider if I have time for this. Bah, I'll find time. :D
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Laraqua »

I'm keen to play a gangster, too.
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
thewhatchamacallit
Keeper
Keeper

make that a hitman
Last edited by thewhatchamacallit on Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:13 pm, edited 12 times in total.
coffee demon
Keeper
Keeper

Post by coffee demon »

Hahaha, theres the Thompson SMG!

We have 4 players now, 2 more are unconfirmed. If anyone else is interested, please post - the two unconfirmed might not show.

One thing:

I think it would create some good roleplay, and open up some interesting opportunities if a couple characters (at least) weren't associated with a gang. Some investigator-ish types would be welcome. How interesting would it be to have to work with Jaguar "Jag" Romone, when you've never met a mob member before? No pressure, though - you can be whatever you want.

If you want to be a mobster/mobster's girlfriend, can some of you think of ways to be lesser known, somewhat? Maybe you're a wannabe gangster who's trying to get "in", or one of their non-mob friends.
coffee demon
Keeper
Keeper

Post by coffee demon »

This is going to be a crazier version of King of Chicago than was intended, by the looks of the characters! :) A little less library work, a few more broken kneecaps? :shock:
Tars_Tarkas
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 18 years 5 months

Post by Tars_Tarkas »

coffee demon has OKed a character concept of mine. I'm going to be a safecracker who used to work for Capone but is now out of work and looking for a score.

I'll roll him up and after coffee demon approves, post the sheet in the new forum after it's built.

I don't think everyone has to be a member of a gang when we start. It could be like Richard Stark's Parker novels where the characters are freelance but come together for a heist, then split to go their separate ways. My guy will be such a freelancer, at least to start.
SuAside
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 18 years 3 months

Post by SuAside »

coffee demon wrote: Hahaha, theres the Thompson SMG!

from my character in the Lure of the Nile:

what a beauty to travel with in style :twisted:
imme
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 17 years 8 months

Post by imme »

coffee demon wrote: If you want to be a mobster/mobster's girlfriend, can some of you think of ways to be lesser known, somewhat? Maybe you're a wannabe gangster who's trying to get "in", or one of their non-mob friends.

Along these lines, I'm thinking of ditching the girlfriend idea. I'd still like to play a femme fatale-ish character, but I was thinking it might be more fun to be a lawyer for the mob. Although rare, women lawyers did exist in this time period. This character idea is growing on me, I can imagine her walking past the thugs (getting whistles), straight to the boss and holding out her hand. "I'll be your lawyer on this case. Mr Capone sent me." So, she could work for the mob, having represented them in numerous cases, but isn't technically in the mob, herself. A way to be "lesser known". How does that sound?
thewhatchamacallit
Keeper
Keeper

Change it up there boss, I want to play a hitman. Modified Jag, what do ya think? :D
coffee demon
Keeper
Keeper

Post by coffee demon »

Imme: The Lawyer idea sounds fantastic! Lets wait and see what the other characters turn out to be before we figure out if you need to think of a relationship with other characters.

Whatcha: Hitman is a cool idea! I'll look at the skills later, when other characters are established. The fragmentation grenades - if you have them, I gotta give you a similar penalty: Like, some people from rival gangs may recognize you. I think that could be neat, though: "If yer walkin' down an alley and see a thin, palefaced kid waitin' there, thats 'Jag' Romone. And you better have yer hand on yer gun, or yer dead before you can open yer yap."

Laraqua: Gangster? Waiting to hear your thoughts. The sky's the limit!

Tars Tarkas: Freelance Safecracker - sounds good.

There's going to be two seperate groups at start. This is the mobster group. The other unconfirmed group is:

Unconfirmed #1: Obese, Lazy Private Investigator. Do any of you know the old show "Jake and the Fatman"? This would be the fatman. :)

Unconfirmed #2:
Professional baseball player.

If they don't show, I have one backup P.I. (gezellig), and would like to find one more non-gangster to accompany him. Then we're good to go!

A new game thread will be started within the next 36 hours. Then I'll give more suggestions for character details, and Chicago background, and let you flesh out your characters/relationships more.. Waiting to see if the two "unconfirmed" players show up as well.
Basketvector
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 17 years 4 months

Post by Basketvector »

How's this?

My guy is an obese private investigator from Jersey. He moved to Chicago looking for work. He's rather unhealthy, he smokes and drinks a lot. He has an ex-wife here in town who hates him. He has a gambling problem, and he's currently living in a slum and waiting for his big break. He carries a .38 and sometimes waves it around when he's drunk and yelling at President Hoover. His only redeeming feature is that he's smart, and he's good at his job. He has underworld connections , and that helps him in his business.

His name: Maxwell O'Malley
Like Jake and the fatman, only much much fatter.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Laraqua »

EDITED to reflect changed thoughts.

I'm gonna play a man known as Louie, a rather destructive man with an ailing mother and a sister who disappeared to God knows where (he doesn't talk about her much). Tends to have a rather short fuse at times, but largely sits back, does his job with a professional attitude and doesn't squabble over who gets the glory.
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
thewhatchamacallit
Keeper
Keeper

Name : Jaguar 'Jag' Romone
Birthplace : Chi-Town

Characteristics:

STR : 16
CON : 10 (was 13)
SIZ : 10
DEX : 15
APP : 10 (was 13)
INT : 18 (Idea 90)
POW : 14 (Luck 70)
EDU : 11 (Knowledge 55)

Sanity: 70
phobias/mental disorders:
maximum Sanity: 99
Hit Points: 10
Magic Points: 14
Damage Bonus: +1d4

Appearance & Personality: Once a handsome and healthy lad the store explosion that ended his former life also took away his stamina and good looks, leaving him a pock-marked aberration with a cold stare and a raspy voice.

Background: Raised as the only child of a widower, Jaguar and his father ran Ramone's Fine Deli Shop in Chicago's little Italy.

Everyday Jag, who had practiced his whole life with the hopes of one day becoming an vaudeville artist in New York City, would do street performances; slight of hand, palming, flips, cartwheels, knife tricks and daring acts of juggling out front of the store, providing entertainment sure to earn tips and draw business for the deli.

For many years they made a good living that way until one day Jag's father ran afoul of the Irish mob by refusing to pay for protection. The invading micks set off a bomb in their shop as retribution.

Caught partially in the blast, Jag survived while his father did not and as he lay mending in a body-cast the youth swore vengeance on the men responsible.

Hiring on as an assassin for the Italian mob seemed the best way to achieve that goal. The mafia hated the Irish gangsters as much as Jag did and it was an easy task to take a few red-headed scalps over to the family men and earn a bit of cash and respect from those in the know.

Family members: None

SKILLS : (Important: Non-default skills BOLD, Professional Skills ITALICS, Hobbies preceded by a DOT)

Accounting (10%):
Anthropology (01%):
Archaeology (01%):
Art (05%):
Astronomy (01%):
Bargain (05%):
Biology (01%):
Chemistry (01%):
Climb (40%):
Conceal (15%): 85%
Craft (05%):
.Credit Rating (15%): 20%
Cthulhu Mythos (00%):
Disguise (01%):
.Dodge (DEX×2): 60%
Drive Auto:
Electr. Repair (10%):
Fast Talk (05%):
First Aid (30%):
Geology (01%):
.Hide (10%): 70%
History (20%):
.Jump (25%): 60%
Law (05%):
Library Use (25%):
Listen (25%):
Locksmith (01%):
Martial Arts (01%):
Mech. Repair (20%):
Medicine (05%):
Natural History (10%):
Navigate (10%):
Occult (05%):
Opr. Hvy. Mch. (01%):
Other Language (01%):
Own Language (EDU×5%): 55%
Persuade (15%):
Pharmacy (01%):
Photography (10%):
Physics (01%):
Pilot (01%):
Psychoanalysis (01%):
Psychology (05%):
Ride (05%):
Sneak (10%): 75%
Spot Hidden (25%): 50%
Swim (25%):
Throw (25%): 85%
Track (10%):

Hand-to-Hand:
Fist/Punch (50%):
Head Butt (10%):
Kick (25%):
Grapple (25%):
.Fighting Knife- 70%

Firearms :
Handgun (20%):
Machine Gun (15%):
Rifle (25%):
Shotgun (30%):
SMG (15%):

EQUIPMENT: 10 fighting/throwing knives dmg 1d4+2+1d4 in concealed sheaths, two fragmentation grenades in concealed pockets
welsh
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 18 years 5 months

Post by welsh »

Coffee-

I recall from the 1920s Investigator's book that gangster/criminal types usually suffered some negative consequences in character formation. Are you abiding to those rules here?
http://www.nma-fallout.com

One man's meat may very well be another man's person-
- Anonymous Cannibal
coffee demon
Keeper
Keeper

Post by coffee demon »

You know, I have no idea :)

I'm going to post character generation stuff and more when I start the actual thread later tonight. Thanks for pointing that out, though, I'll take a look later on!
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 4 months

THE BALL PLAYER

Post by DSIGFUSS »

I'm new to the site and the game. I play Eddie "knuckles" Cicotte. Eddie was the pitcher for the Chicago "Black" sox and one of the eight players who threw the world series. He was banned from the game after the trial of 1920. This would be an alternate take on what happened to Eddie after the scandal. If anyone doesn't like the idea of me playing the alternate Eddie I'll change him to an anonymous Sox player who took a dive for the mob. Either way, since the scandal Eddie has become a drunk and hardly ever leaves his house. The only place he is welcome in Chicago are mob owned establishments who pay his booze bills. The mob made a killing off the world series scandal and Eddie is still living off the payout which was more than recorded. I chose Eddie cuz of his Italian background but I'm flexible.

Here's my guy.

Name : Eddie "knuckles" Cicotte
Birthplace : unknown

Characteristics:

STR : 13
CON : 10
SIZ : 16
DEX : 12
APP : 13
INT : 14 (Idea 70)
POW : 17(Luck 85)
EDU : 15 (Knowledge 60)

Sanity: 85
phobias/mental disorders:
maximum Sanity: 99
Hit Points:
Magic Points:
Damage Bonus: +1d4

Skills

Occupational

Throw (25%) 50%
Sneak (10%) 40%
Bat (25%) 50%
Spot Hidden (25%) 40%
Credit Rating (15%) 20%
Opr. Hvy Mch.(01%) 30%
Conceal (15%) 60%

Hobby Skills
Drive Auto (20%) 40%
Ride (05%) 40%
Handgun (20%) 45%
*Throw
*Bat
*Sneak

[img]
coffee demon
Keeper
Keeper

Post by coffee demon »

Okay, everyone is accounted for!

Good to see some people have their characters started - once the actual game is set up, I'll get you all to use the same format for character sheets, and ask for a photo, background, etc.

If you want a headstart on making your characters, here's some ground rules:

1) Total of 104 points to split between your attributes. Attributes need to be in the normal range you can get by rolling. This is to ensure all the characters are equal.

2) You can use the Investigators Companion if you have it. If you don't, I can help you out. Using it means you must abide by all the bonuses and penalties therein. Attribute adjustments will change your limits (i.e. if you get +2 STR, you can give yourself 20 STR. if you have -1 STR, you can only have 17 STR max.)

I think the Investigator's Companion is a little hard on the Gangsters; Instead of using all three penalties, only pick one (-6 EDU, less SAN, or secret phobia).

3) Your Occupation skills don't need to be "by the book", as long as your character's background and history justifies what you've done. Your hobby skill points can be split however you like.

The players and characters are:

Laraqua: Louie the unobtrusive gangster
Whatchamallit: Jag Romone, assassin with a vengeance.
Gezellig: Reporter/Photographer
BasketVector: Max O'Malley, Physically and mentally disintegrating Private Eye
DSIGFUSS: "Knuckles" Ciccote, Major League Baseball player, past his prime.
Imme: Sassy, confident mob lawyer.
Tars_Tarkas: Out of work...er... "freelance" gangster.

Its a broad range, but I have it figured out. We'll discuss relationships between the gangster characters in the new thread, and get started when characters are all made!

You're going to start in two seperate groups - mob-types in one, Baseball,PI and Reporter in another.

Return to “... I'm Thinking Of Running A Game”