Kuria-The Trembling Death

Please post here if you're trying to gauge interest in a NEW game, which you'd like to run on Play@YSDC
Laine
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 12 years 4 months

Kuria-The Trembling Death

Post by Laine »

Kainantu, Eastern Highlands, Papua New Guinea-1941.

Japan has began it's conquest of the Pacific and the government of Australia hopes to stall the Japanese domination of it's territories. Even in this corner of the world the impact of the war is felt as the islands are invaded and bombarded by a large Japanese force. Yet, in the midst of World War II the veil of isolation is just starting to be penetrated in the remote Eastern Highlands of New Guinea.

Lutheran Missionaries which are the remnants of German influence in the region attempt to convert tribesmen to the ways of Christianity, miners and other pioneers hope to exploit the natural resources of the region, anthropologists arrive from across the world hoping to make contact with indigenous peoples who have had little contact with the 'Western' world and pathologists arrive to study exotic diseases.

In Kainantu a terrible epidemic holds the local population in a grip of fear and terror, many of the indigenous people have succumbed to Kuria or 'the trembling death'. In an attempt to assist the savages a Lutheran outpost has set up Awande Hospital, a small clinic which awaits the arrival of pathologists, epidemiologists and additional assistance from the outside world...

Kuria is a pulp adventure game set in Papua New Guinea during World War II, the players will be exploring the vast Eastern Highlands which have come into contact with the modern world for the first time. Character concepts can include Australian soldiers, pioneers, missionaries, pathologists, and anthropologists. The campaign will be centered around a small outpost, Kainantu, which is a bastion of civilization in the jungle forests. I am hoping for around 5 players if possible.
Last edited by Laine on Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: Kuria-The Trembling Death

Post by Mr. Handy »

Count me in! I'm always up for pulp WWII adventure! 8-)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Laine
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Laine »

Cool, thanks for the interest. Might take a week or so to get started and I doubt I will be able to post at the pace I have been as a player in Silent Hill.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

You're welcome, and don't worry, I can't post at that pace either. ;) In fact, it takes me a long time just to read everyone's posts in Silent Hill.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Seon
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 5 months

Post by Seon »

Interested
Laine
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Laine »

Sweet.

Just so everyone knows, my style is a bit more free form in regards to character interactions. I would base a lot of the response of NPCs based off the the way PCs phrase things, the temperaments of characters, beliefs, etc. rather than rolling for responses. I am also very new to the CoC system, so please if I make mistakes along the way feel free to correct me and have patience. Lastly, I am not from Papua New Guineau, so my story will be based off research( I have read a bit on this subject) and my own personal style, I hope to not offend anyone with horrific racial/cultural stereotypes and will try to represent tribal people in a respectful matter, but I know given the nature of CoC there may be undertones that probably aren't present in these actual cultural groups. If characters and NPCs make remarks that are disrespectul to native peoples then it is representitive of the norm at the time rather than my own personal beliefs.
Laine
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Laine »

Also, pm me with character concepts, sheets etc. until we get a forum up. I suppose we can start when we get another player on board.

Return to “... I'm Thinking Of Running A Game”