BtMoM Redux - Game Full, Recruiting Alternates

Please post here if you're trying to gauge interest in a NEW game, which you'd like to run on Play@YSDC
Job
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 4 months
It’s my birthday

BtMoM Redux - Game Full, Recruiting Alternates

Post by Job »

To quote from James Starkweather, our expedition commander: "We will travel back to the campsight and last resting place of our colleagues from Miskatonic University, led by professor Charles Lake, some two years ago. We intend to confirm their amazing discoveries and to map and climb the Miskatonic Mountain range, reported to be the highest peaks in the world. Once we've reached those peaks, we will continue further. We will continue beyond the mountains. Beyond those mountains where we intend to perform an aerial survey of the lands on the far side of that range, into uncharted territory that has never before seen by the human eye. To uncover the secrets…"

This is an open call for alternate players (who will later take over characters for players who drop out of the campaign) to continue our Beyond the Mountains of Madness campaign. This campaign was originally begun on the EnWorld site because Play@YSDC did not exist at the time, and I believe that it makes sense to now re-start it here rather than on EnWorld because of this site's primary focus on "all things Cthulhu".

Raiko or Mr. Handy, would you please set up an area for this game? I assume that I will have the capability to create subpages to organize the game information (but if not, I'll work with Raiko to do so).

GAME SPECIFICS:

Rules - I originally ran the BtMoM campaign using the D20CoC ruleset, but have been asked to shift to the Chaosium BRP ruleset. I'm not familiar with the Chaosium rules, but have begun looking them over and don't see any particular problems so far.

Game Re-Start Date: I expect to formally restart the game within the next week or two, once I've created the necessary subpages, approved any new characters, and created any needed links/copies of the EnWorld story line. Once the game area is created, I'll add a fair amount of additional start up details. Also, Anatomist and Royya will need to create their Chaosium character sheets should they choose to re-join.

Character Creation/Selection - To maintain continuity of our story line, I request that new players select their character from existing PC's or crew members who have aready disembarked on the SS Gabrielle, however I will consider any creative (and logical) plot device that would introduce a new PC (e.g. joining the expedition in Panama). Here is a link to the existing PC's: http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=139216

Posting Frequency - I would describe our story pace as "leisurely". I ask that players post a minimum of once per week, if not more frequently. I expect to produce most of my Keeper writings on the weekends, but also will occasionally move the story along on weeknights, as time permits.

Previous EnWorld Postings - I plan to cross-link back to relevant posts on EnWorld, but also will re-post some of that information, as needed, to make it as easy as possible to follow the storyline. Here is a link to the EnWorld game: http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?p=2703292

I look forward to our voyage ahead!
Job.
Last edited by Job on Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Re: BtMoM Redux

Post by Raiko »

No problem Job, I'll create your game area shortly.

So as not to confuse things, I'll bring back my own BtMoM game from the archive. As you know I'll be resuming that in another month or two. I'll rename it, so that we have "Job's Beyond the Mountains of Madness" & "Raiko's Beyond the Mountains of Madness". I've got at least 4 or 5 of my players back, so I won't be recruiting myself. :)

We need a short blurb to go on the front page (like the other game forums). The first paragraph of this topic would serve perfectly, but let me know what you'd like.

Regarding subforums, etc: You'll need me or Mr Handy to create any sub-forums that you need, as it can only be done through the admin panel, but you'll be able to create as many topics as you like. We're quite speedy though (and in different time zones), so if you need any sub-forums created it's best to PM both of us and then you are more or less guarenteed it'll be created within a few hours. :)

Good luck with your game! :D

A special note from me for any potential players: I highly recommend Job's game; I read much of it myself on Enworld before beginning my own BtMoM Campaign, and it was indeed probably my main inspiration to start my own game here. The point that he is up to, shortly after the expedition's departure from New York is an excellent point to join in, you've not missed too much and there is still a fantastic adventure ahead.

I also think that I'm qualified to say that you also won't find all that many Keepers crazy enough to try running this epic online. So sign up now!
Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Raiko »

I've created your game forum now. Good luck! 8-)

By the way, we had some problems with the new permissions in the only other recent game that we added. If the "new topic" button isn't visible for you in your game forum, then please let me know immediately.
Job
Keeper
Keeper
It’s my birthday

Post by Job »

Thank you, Raiko.

Your idea of how to name the 2 campaigns is perfect! And I cannot think of a better summary paragraph than the one that you've suggested. 8-)

I'll send you a PM with the initial set of subpages that I'll need.

Job.
Seon
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 6 months

Post by Seon »

I am interested in playing this game. I will look into the cast of characters or think of a way for inserting myself in somehow.
Job
Keeper
Keeper
It’s my birthday

Post by Job »

Welcome Seon!

I'm always looking for fresh blood! ;)

I'll be spending this week organizing the campaign, so you have a bit of time to work out your character concept. I believe that there's also a physician character available for selection (I'm doing some detective work), so check back on the character thread tomorrow.

Job.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

I'm interested too. I don't think I'll have time to catch up on the prologue and first chapter, but at least I won't have missed much. I'm glad it's using Chaosium's BRP instead of d20. It's actually a lot less complicated and easy to learn, too.

I was thinking of playing a pilot. I could probably join the expedition at any point (with a seaplane, I wouldn't even need to join in a port).
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Seon
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Seon »

Could I join by being on the plane that Mr. Handy is flying on? :p
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Post by Anatomist »

Job wrote: Also, Anatomist and Royya will need to create their Chaosium character sheets should they choose to re-join.
On it boss. You want details by PM ?
~Bony End of Story~
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

Job.
Btw George Barrow, my second character has a char sheet here:
http://www.enworld.org/showpost.php?p=2 ... stcount=16
i dont remember why that post is isolated formthe rest of PC's.
Import him or something if you can/want. :)

-A
~Bony End of Story~
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

Anatomist wrote:Job.
Btw George Barrow, my second character has a char sheet here:
http://www.enworld.org/showpost.php?p=2 ... stcount=16
i dont remember why that post is isolated formthe rest of PC's.
Import him or something if you can/want. :)

-A
Lol never mind. I was watching the permalink and the post seemd isolated.
~Bony End of Story~
Job
Keeper
Keeper
It’s my birthday

Post by Job »

Hello Mr. Handy,

I'd be honored to have you join our expedition!
Mr. Handy wrote:I'm interested too. I don't think I'll have time to catch up on the prologue and first chapter, but at least I won't have missed much. I'm glad it's using Chaosium's BRP instead of d20. It's actually a lot less complicated and easy to learn, too.
Yes, it appears on my first reading that the BRP seems to be a much more simple system and will probably be less confusing to play in a pbp.
Mr. Handy wrote:I was thinking of playing a pilot. I could probably join the expedition at any point (with a seaplane, I wouldn't even need to join in a port).
I've been in contact with Camille Bardier's player (Taokan), and she will likely join us on Play@YSDC in this campaign. Her character, Camille, is a pilot, but I'm also open to adding another pilot to the expedition. This would certainly solve the puzzle of how to add new characters to the expedition after the USS Gabrielle has disembarked. Another option would be for you to play Douglas Halperin, an NPC pilot.

Here is a link to a couple of Douglas' interactions in the EnWorld game

Job.
Job
Keeper
Keeper
It’s my birthday

Post by Job »

Seon wrote:Could I join by being on the plane that Mr. Handy is flying on? :p
That may be possible, Seon... I'll work with you and Mr. Handy on the details. Let's see how Mr. Handy responds to my alternative mentioned above.

Joe.
Anatomist
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Anatomist »

Im having a hard time converting my chars to chaosium. Fooling around on google i found this document... Can you approve its use? http://www.easydamus.com/BasicD20toChaosium
~Bony End of Story~
Job
Keeper
Keeper
It’s my birthday

Post by Job »

Hello Anatomist! It is indeed my pleasure to have you rejoin our band of explorers, and also to have your prodding to stir me from my slumber.
Anatomist wrote:On it boss. You want details by PM ?
We can do this a couple of ways. A PM is fine, or you can post your sheet in the Cast of Character thread and I'll look it over there. I am continuing to read over the BRP rules and also to review other campaigns on this site (for ideas on how they handled startup and character creation).

Job.
Job
Keeper
Keeper
It’s my birthday

Post by Job »

Anatomist wrote:Im having a hard time converting my chars to chaosium. Fooling around on google i found this document... Can you approve its use? http://www.easydamus.com/BasicD20toChaosium
Hello Anatomist,

I've had difficulty logging into this site today (error messages and lag), and lost an earlier response to your post. I'll try once again.

Job.
Job
Keeper
Keeper
It’s my birthday

Post by Job »

Job wrote:
Anatomist wrote:Im having a hard time converting my chars to chaosium. Fooling around on google i found this document... Can you approve its use? http://www.easydamus.com/BasicD20toChaosium
Nice detective work in finding that conversion guide, Anatomist! Here are my thoughts:
  • Conversion of ability scores (page 1) - This looks OK. Please roll % dice for each; over 50% gives you the higher of the two numbers, OK?
  • Calculation of EDU score (page 1) - This looks OK, although I'll look over the results just in case it doesn't seem reasonable.
  • Calculation of SIZ score (page 2) - This looks OK
  • Conversion of Hit Points (page 3) - This doesn't look OK, probably because we used D20 CoC, and not D20 Basic rules. I'd be OK to simply copy the D20 CoC HP to Chaosium BRP HP.
  • Conversion of skill points (pages 3 & 4) - The total number of points seems to calculate OK. You can assign your points wherever you think it makes sense, and I'll look over your final version.
  • Conversion of advantages (page 4) - Let me know if you think that your character's feats from our D20 CoC should allow you a bonus.
  • Conversion of powers - this will probably not apply to our game.
Job.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Thanks! I would prefer to create my own character, and I already have my own character concept. I'd be playing another aviatrix, Katie Wright from Dayton, Ohio. Yes, she's related (distantly) to Orville and Wilbur. I'd also rather not have to catch up on the prologue and Chapter 1, which I'd need to do if I took over an existing character. I'd like to read them one day, but I simply won't have time anytime soon.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Seon
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Seon »

I would also like to have a new player made for similar reasons as Mr. Handy.

I will be Earnest Roosevelt, who is completely unrelated to two Presidents of the United States. He will also be atraveling writer and an explorer who writes a mildly successful series of novels based on his travels.

He would originally be from Arkham.

The only problem is how and why exactly I joined the mess on the ship :p
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

Hi Job,

Let me join Mr. Handy's opinion about the BRP rules. You will find it simple comparing to D20.

I think I will create Father Paul James (P.J) Rucker from the begining with the Chaosium rules.I will use the abilities and convert them and to to his professions as a scientist and a cleric but I prefer to assign his skills points all over again.

Roy
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."

Return to “... I'm Thinking Of Running A Game”