The End of John Company-India 1857

Please post here if you're trying to gauge interest in a NEW game, which you'd like to run on Play@YSDC
Seon
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 6 months

Re: The End of John Company-India 1857

Post by Seon »

I was actually thinking of being a corrupted judge, lawyer, or police officer.

Could you give me some information about the justice system in 1850s India? I cannot find a good source in the web.

Now that we are alone, let me tell you a little secret. Look down from this window there. Do you see that man? The nice-looking old fellow with a cane? He's the gentleman who takes care of the Indian Revenue Collection agents. A couple of years back, 4 of his agents beat an old man to death after he couldn't meet the demand. They said that the old man was hiding the due tax somewhere in his land. He was, after all, known to be a miser by everyone in the village. They said that an arguement erupted between them and the terrible old man. They said that they shoved the old man once and he fell to the ground. Smashed his head on a rock and died. A total accident! Or at least, that's what they said anyways. Who else is to deny them?

Do you know what happened to them? All of them were found guilty for murder. Got dragged kicking and screaming all the way to Burma. One of them was married. He had 2 beautiful daughters and a son. Terrible stuff, eh?

Now here's the interesting part. Those Indians claimed that that nice gentleman over there told them to do it! Beat the old man up! They give up sooner or later, the mansupposedly said. It took the case straighout of the Hindu and Muslim courts into the Supreme Court. The Company Official was implicated after all. They investigated the claim and found that nothing whatsoever corroborated the men's words. The nice gentleman was found innocent. I know because I defended him in that trial. Besides, who could believe the words of murderers?
Last edited by Seon on Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

That's long but not too long; my blurb for Space Oddity was about the same length. I've set up the new forum under Gaslight.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Gaffer
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Gaffer »

Set a thief to catch a thief is an old adage, innit? Even poor people can afford bribes, of course, they're just smaller.

I'm thinking of an old soldier (around 40 years old), Queen's service in the Crimea and maybe one or two other dust ups, probably sapper or artilleryman. He's come to India to make his fortune with the Company, maybe working as a Commissary's assistant.

Arthur Dodgson's the name, but you can call me Dodger, everyone does.
"Two in the head, you know he's dead." <heh>
Lammomedes
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 8 months

Post by Lammomedes »

Mr. Handy wrote:That's long but not too long; my blurb for Space Oddity was about the same length. I've set up the new forum under Gaslight.
Thanks! However, I don't have the ability to start a new topic. Hmmm...am I missing something?
It's been a while since I have run a game from the start.
Do I have to invite players to post on the game boards, or are the selected players who said they want to play free to do so?

Also, as of tomorrow (Sun, 10/23 EST), I'll move all all my conversations over to the background section of the new game.
The game is still not supposed to start until Nov 15, as I have some work related projects that need to get done first. Also I need to perform a wedding before then (I am legally empowered to marry people, and some former students of mine asked me to perform their service) the weekend of Nov 4th. But I will try to post and answer questions as necessary.
Last edited by Lammomedes on Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lammomedes
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Lammomedes »

Gaffer wrote:Set a thief to catch a thief is an old adage, innit? Even poor people can afford bribes, of course, they're just smaller.

I'm thinking of an old soldier (around 40 years old), Queen's service in the Crimea and maybe one or two other dust ups, probably sapper or artilleryman. He's come to India to make his fortune with the Company, maybe working as a Commissary's assistant.

Arthur Dodgson's the name, but you can call me Dodger, everyone does.
Sounds fine Gaffer. Since the Crimea is only just over, it makes sense for someone who has seen a bit too much combat to get a job with John Company.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

I know that Raiko has been making changes to the board, but you should still be able to post new topics. You need to click on the New Topic button (there's one above the announcement and another below), which appears even when you're not logged in, though you most log in to post. What happens when you click on it? Does it tell you that you don't have permission to post new topics?

Players should just be able to start posting in the new forum. However, anyone who has just joined the board or made their first post in the last couple of days is restricted to the welcome/recruitment area until someone adds them to the list of Validated Players. Any Keeper can do this, including you.

I'll be away on the weekend of November 4-6 too, at the Metatopia convention in Morristown, New Jersey. It's centered around game designers, and there will be a lot of playtesting there. Kenneth Hite will be there too.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Lammomedes
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Lammomedes »

Mr. Handy, I think the problem is that there isn't a post reply or post new topic button.
I know the button should be to the left of the search box, but there is no such button either at the top or bottom of the page.
Hmmm

An index of everything on the page follows:

[ Moderator Control Panel ]
The End of John Company

Moderator: Lammomedes
[Search this forum] Search button
Mark topics read • 0 topics • Page 1 of 1

Announcements
Replies
Views
Last post

Forum Tidy Up - IMPORTANT UPDATE 20th OCT 2011