Mythos CCG

Please post here if you're trying to gauge interest in a NEW game, which you'd like to run on Play@YSDC
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

Mythos CCG

Post by amarriner »

Anyone out there still have cards from the Mythos CCG? Not the more recent CoC one, but the Chaosium one from the 90's? If so, does anyone want to play a PBP game? I haven't played in a couple years but I used to play on a couple of email groups and it actually worked quite well. Basically players play a card and write a short story segment about the card play this eventaully leads to quite a long narrative as the game progresses. It's also fun to see people work in an odd card into their story continuity.

It works on the honor system which is fine. If you're cheating at a 10+ year old dead CCG you've got issues. :)

I can give more details if there is interest. I'll paste the URLs of the groups below if anyone wants to see how the games worked. Beware they eventually got lots of spam so you might have to back a ways to see actual game posts. They should be fairly obvious. Hoping there's interest!

http://groups.google.com/group/mythos-pbem
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/CofCMythos/
Last edited by amarriner on Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the detestable pounding and piping whereunto dance slowly, awkwardly, and absurdly the gigantic, tenebrous ultimate gods the blind, voiceless, mindless gargoyles whose soul is Nyarlathotep.
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Re: Mythos CCG

Post by kabukiman »

I still have Mythos CCG. That would be interesting, but how would it work? Besides thye standart game, I bought several expansions.
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by amarriner »

I think it works rather well. The combat rounds can sometimes drag if there's a lot going on but even then it's not too bad. Normal gameplay is simple though as you generally only play one card (though it is possible to play more than one) and there is no notion of "interrupts" as in Magic, for example.

So you would post the name of the card(s) you're playing and it's stats as well as a short story segment about the card. Each player has an investigator as well who persists throughout the game and they generally weave the cards into an overarching story about their investigator. The Mythos rulebook actually suggests playing this way face to face as well which is why you draw cards from a "Story Deck". Players are rushing to complete Adventure cards which typically require certain cards to have already been played. If you've played it FtF before I think you'll find it translates rather well. If not then let's put those cards of yours to use! :)

EDIT: Shoot I didn't realize the yahoo group is private so that not going to be very useful. Too bad as that one had the most games in it. Still, the google group gas some good examples of gameplay. And less spam, heh.

EDIT2: Fixed the google groups URL, sorry!
the detestable pounding and piping whereunto dance slowly, awkwardly, and absurdly the gigantic, tenebrous ultimate gods the blind, voiceless, mindless gargoyles whose soul is Nyarlathotep.
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Ok then, when would we start?
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by amarriner »

Well I think we can start pretty much anytime. I think I need to petition an admin for a forum (I assume in the One Shot Theatre), so I'll work on that. In the meantime feel free to work on your deck, and I'll pick one out as well. Also, we can definitely have more players (in fact more would be good) so hopefully we'll have a couple more interested people! Looking forward to the game.
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

I have made a deck from the cultist with lot's of other cards I bought. I'l be waiting.
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by amarriner »

Okay great. I'm all set with my deck, too. It's a New Aeon/Waking World cross that sometimes works well, sometimes doesn't. :)

Incidentally, the deck I'm using uses a newer "Repoint" system developed by a guy named Alex Broadhead. Basically we went through all the adventures in Mythos and changed their point value and sanity bonuses to be inline with the way Chaosium suggested in their book "The Art of Mythos". If you want to take a look there's a PDF of the changes in that Google group (Mythos Repoint). All of this you can simply ignore if you'd like only to note that my adventure points might be different from the actual printed card if you have it. It was meant to make the game more fair so it doesn't give me any advantage at all. Is that okay?

I PM'ed Mr Handy about getting a forum up. Sorry Mr Handy, wasn't sure who to PM! We'll wait a little for other players, but when we get the forum we can do some setup stuff anyway.
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Do you mind if we stick to rules? I haven't play for a while, but I'l prefer for a first time to use them since I'm more familiar with them. Latter, we may change it.
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by amarriner »

Well it doesn't actually change any rules, just the point values on adventures. No big deal, though, as my deck still works with the old point values so I'll just go with that.
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Well, if you want, you may change the value of your cards, but I keep mine, how that?
How many points shall we play? 15, 20?
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by amarriner »

I had forgotten that this deck worked with both scoring structures so it doesn't matter. For simplicity's sake let's just stick with regular points for now. Let's do 20 as that's the standard game. Sorry I brought it up. :)
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Ok!
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

amarriner wrote:Okay great. I'm all set with my deck, too. It's a New Aeon/Waking World cross that sometimes works well, sometimes doesn't. :)

Incidentally, the deck I'm using uses a newer "Repoint" system developed by a guy named Alex Broadhead. Basically we went through all the adventures in Mythos and changed their point value and sanity bonuses to be inline with the way Chaosium suggested in their book "The Art of Mythos". If you want to take a look there's a PDF of the changes in that Google group (Mythos Repoint). All of this you can simply ignore if you'd like only to note that my adventure points might be different from the actual printed card if you have it. It was meant to make the game more fair so it doesn't give me any advantage at all. Is that okay?

I PM'ed Mr Handy about getting a forum up. Sorry Mr Handy, wasn't sure who to PM! We'll wait a little for other players, but when we get the forum we can do some setup stuff anyway.
Yes, I can set up a forum for you. Any global moderator can do it, but I'm the only one who's around with any frequency any more, so I'm the one to ask. I'll just need a text blurb describing your game like you see on the other forums. You can just post it here. Then I'll create your forum. I'd play myself, but I don't have the Mythos CCG, only the LCG. I wouldn't mind playing the LCG online, though.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by amarriner »

Okay thanks, Mr. Handy. How's this for a description:

"Follow along as a group of investigators battle their own sanity as they encounter the Mythos! This is a play by post game of the Chaosium Mythos CCG."

Not great, I guess. Maybe I can amend it later? :)

If you want to play we can probably figure out a way for you to do so. Just let me know. I'm sure we can manage. It's definitely good with 3-4 players
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

How do you play with 3-4 players? Do you have any rules for that? The rules in the deck are just for 2. By the way, I created my deck to play as corrupt cultist, not steadfast.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Your forum is ready. Thanks for the offer, but it's just as well if I don't play even if it can be played with 3 or more. I don't know the rules, and I'll be away and probably unable to post for a couple of weeks in February anyway. The LCG is also only for 2 players.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by amarriner »

Thanks for the forum! No problem on the game. Just let me know if you change your mind. I certainly wouldn't mind playing the LCG but I think I only have two starter decks and have never actually played it, heh. So I wouldn't be much competition!

I'll just wait a few more days for another Mythos player before starting. Today or tomorrow I'll get a couple threads up in the forum for game tracking purposes.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

You're welcome! I only have the LCG starter box and haven't played a real game with it yet. I've read the rules and played a couple of games with it against myself, but that's it, so our skill levels would be about equal.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

I'm out in that, because I don't have the LCG, just an expansion and the rules I downloaded from the net, so I'm even in a worst position ;)
amarriner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by amarriner »

Not going to give this much longer. I'll start it probably by tomorrow if we don't get anyone else. I'll post here when it's begun! Still working on getting the threads up.

Return to “... I'm Thinking Of Running A Game”