The Terror Out of Time: Classic Doctor Who meets Classic CoC

Please post here if you're trying to gauge interest in a NEW game, which you'd like to run on Play@YSDC
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

The Terror Out of Time: Classic Doctor Who meets Classic CoC

Post by Mr. Handy »

The Terror Out of Time is a Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu adventure set in 1930 London. One player will play a Time Lord or Time Lady, anywhere from one to three players will play companions who can be from any era of history, and any other players will play characters local to 1930. It is possible that the local characters could become companions in future adventures, for which I have many ideas. I'll be away on vacation from July 29-August 9, but I plan to start in mid-August. Players will be expected to post at least twice per week, and I intend to match that pace.

Before I can begin, I need one player to commit to playing the Time Lord/Time Lady. Before you do, make sure that you can see this through, as this character will be central to the adventure (and to future adventures). It will be difficult, but not impossible, to replace you if you have to bow out. I also need at least one player to commit to playing a companion. This doesn't require as much commitment as the TL, but there is still some involved. You would not necessarily be committing to future adventures, as companions can always leave (or die), and it is even possible to write out a companion in the middle of an adventure, but I'd prefer not to have to do so. There is only one TL slot and a maximum of three companion slots, so if you want one of them, you should reserve it by posting in this thread as soon as possible. There is no hard limit for players playing local investigators. If you want to play a local, you should also post in this thread to say so.

Once I get a minimum of three players that include one TL, one or more compaions, and any number of locals, I'll set up a forum for the game and post information on character creation, which has a few special rules for non-local characters. This may have to wait until August 10, after I get back, if there isn't enough interest in the next few days,
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 17 years

Re: The Terror Out of Time: Classic Doctor Who meets Classic CoC

Post by yockenthwaite »

I'd like to sign up as a companion. But not the Time Lord, cos I'm very seriously ill (long-term), and may need to bow out at some future point.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Welcome aboard! You've got a companion slot reserved. You can take your time thinking about a character concept and time of origin. Character creation will vary depending upon your home era. I'll be using variations on the following character sheets:
  • Cthulhu Invictus (for characters from before AD 500)
  • Cthulhu Dark Ages (for characters from 500-1500)
  • Gaslight (for characters from 1860-1913)
  • Classic (for characters from 1914-1939)
  • Modern (for characters from 1940-2030)
I'll come up with different variants on the character sheets for companions from between 1500 and 1860 and for characters from after 2030. One change to the Invictus and Dark Ages sheets for characters from antiquity is that the Climb skill will have a base of 40% instead of being based on STR + DEX. This way it will consistent for all characters, regardless of timeframe.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jaysun81
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 13 years 9 months

Post by jaysun81 »

As I said over at Yog I'd be interested in possibly playing the Time Lord, what are we looking at?
Wood Planet Gaming Lodge
Thorn
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Post by Thorn »

Companion or Time Lord, I'm in either way :) Seems the Time Lord slot is already filled, so I'll start thinking of a concept for a companion. Yay, I absolutely adore Dr. Who:)
paul formain
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 13 years 11 months

Post by paul formain »

This sounds like great fun. I'd like to play a companion from the Invictus era, if you have spacetime.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Welcome to the TARDIS, all of you! 8-) Those were some quick responses. There's room for each of you, and that takes up all of the Time Lord and companion slots, so we now have a full crew for the TARDIS. There's still room for characters from 1930 if anyone else is interested in playing. Yes, this is going to be a lot of fun! I've been a Doctor Who fan since the very early 1980s. I would have been one earlier, but I don't actually have my own TARDIS. I've always wished I could really travel in one, but this is the next best thing.

I've created a forum for The Terror Out of Time here. I'll be putting up some starting threads throughout the day, including information on character creation. We can get that started now, and hopefully you can get any questions answered before I leave on vacation. If we're really lucky, I might be able to get the game started on August 10, or failing that within a few days afterwards.

Jaysun, you'll be playing the Time Lord if you decide you want it. If you change your mind and would rather play a companion, then Thorn can play the Time Lord. As you can imagine, there are some special rules for that which I'll be posting in the character creation thread. Paul, I definitely like the idea of a companion from ancient history. That's one thing that wasn't done enough on the show, and the one companion from antiquity that I can recall (Katarina) didn't last long. Your character won't necessarily have to be from Rome, as you have all of ancient history to play with, though a Roman would certainly be welcome.

I hope everyone has as much of a blast with this as I know I will!
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jaysun81
Disciple
Disciple

Post by jaysun81 »

I'll take the Time Lord...thank you.
Wood Planet Gaming Lodge
Misfit
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 13 years 8 months

Post by Misfit »

Are there still slots open for this? I will be on vacation from starting on Aug 11th and returning on Aug. 15th.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Yes, I still have a slot for you. Welcome aboard! Unfortunately the TARDIS already has a full crew, so you'll have to play a character from 1930. The game is set to start on August 10, but I can run your character as needed during your absence. You can find character creation instructions in the thread called The Companion's Companion in The Terror Out of Time's forum. The only difference is that you will need to roll 1d10 to determine your personal wealth (it's not really needed for time travelers). You can post there with questions as well as with a partial or completed character sheet. Have fun!
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Misfit
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 13 years 8 months

Post by Misfit »

Thanks! I will get on that. Any chance I will get to play an evil time lord?..:p.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Sorry, but any evil Time Lords will be played by yours truly. :twisted:

Welcome to Terror Out of Time! I've actually written out the complete adventure already and have even started planning the second one, so there shouldn't be any problem getting this rolling next week.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jaysun81
Disciple
Disciple

Post by jaysun81 »

Mr. Handy wrote:I've actually written out the complete adventure already and have even started planning the second one...
That's fantastic! Makes me look forward to this adventure even more.
Wood Planet Gaming Lodge
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Great! I'm really looking forward to this too, and it should be loads of fun for all of us! :D I plan to get the game started later today or tonight.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
masonstone
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 14 years 7 months

Post by masonstone »

I missed the start, damn you internet ¬_¬

but if it's still open I'd love to play a 1930's bloke if possible :)
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
In his house at R'lyeh dead Cthulhu waits dreaming.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Sure, welcome aboard! We're just getting underway, so there's no problem getting you involved. Just hop on over to the forum and create yourself a character when you're ready.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Necronominathan
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 13 years 7 months

Post by Necronominathan »

Any chance of jumping into this game as an investigator?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Welcome, Necronominathan! The TARDIS has a full crew, but there's still room for someone from 1930. The player of one of the PCs (Dok, a Slovakian immigrant working on the docks) hasn't posted in a week and a half, so I might let you take him over, though the player could conceivably return. There are also a couple of NPCs already involved; you could take over one of them. There are Gareth Hayes, a security guard at the British Museum, and Carole Siddons, a secretary. Or you could create a brand new character and I could get you involved. The adventure is around 1/4 complete, but it's still possible to fit you in.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Necronominathan
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 13 years 7 months

Post by Necronominathan »

The immigrant worker would be fine, or the security guard maybe. Doesn't really matter to me. I just want to play. I'll read through it and see which one would be more suitable.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Great! Welcome aboard! You can post in the OOC thread in the game's forum if you like. You can find most of Gareth's story so far in the IC thread Blast from the Past (with a little bit in Fright at the Museum). Dok's story starts in Blast from the Past and continues in Horror Down Below.

While you won't start as a companion, it's possible to become one after the adventure and join the TARDIS crew. There will also be plenty of new characters in the second adventure.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “... I'm Thinking Of Running A Game”