Resident Evil

Please post here if you're trying to gauge interest in a NEW game, which you'd like to run on Play@YSDC
royya
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years

Resident Evil

Post by royya »

Anyone over here tried to run a resident evil game using chaosium rules?
Just finished to see the films again and the idea jumps instantly.
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: Resident Evil

Post by Mr. Handy »

I haven't, but it sounds like it would be really fun. Zombie Apocalypse has some similar themes, but there are important differences.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

Post by Dave Syrinx »

I´d join, Royya!
Let me just get my sniper rifle...

/Dave
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by Tabs »

My ultimate video game experince is Resident Evil on the PS1 circa '96. Moonlight Sonata, that music in the Rest/Trunk room, the rabid dogs who smash through the windows, etc.

I'd play, but maybe with simpler rules than full on CoC?
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

I do not have a campaign or even an adventure ready to run this idea yet.
Using Chaosium rules is simple enough I guess – substituting the “Cthulhu Mythos” skill with “Umbrela Co. secrets” skills.
The Cthulhu things and the paranormal things will be removed from the game I guess. Replacing them is the plagued zombies and the horrible mutants of the T-virus and G-virus.
One thing I read somewhere is the idea of aiming your shooting. One can shoot many bullets on the body of a zombie, but an accurate bullet to the head will do the trick.
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
Voodoo
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 14 years 8 months

Post by Voodoo »

If you get this going I would play too.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Tabs wrote:My ultimate video game experince is Resident Evil on the PS1 circa '96. Moonlight Sonata, that music in the Rest/Trunk room, the rabid dogs who smash through the windows, etc.

I'd play, but maybe with simpler rules than full on CoC?
I've never managed to find RE1, unfortunately, but I've heard it's excellent. There's no PC version, and by the time I got my PS3 it was impossible to find anywhere.
royya wrote:I do not have a campaign or even an adventure ready to run this idea yet.
Using Chaosium rules is simple enough I guess – substituting the “Cthulhu Mythos” skill with “Umbrela Co. secrets” skills.
The Cthulhu things and the paranormal things will be removed from the game I guess. Replacing them is the plagued zombies and the horrible mutants of the T-virus and G-virus.
One thing I read somewhere is the idea of aiming your shooting. One can shoot many bullets on the body of a zombie, but an accurate bullet to the head will do the trick.
If you ever do decide to run it, count me in too. In Zombie Apocalypse we have rules for aiming at the head that Welsh came up with early on, but they may be overly generous to the players. In order to target the head, you have to use Precision Aim and take a -5 penalty. This can't be done if the zombie is already in your face. Our zombies take 10 damage to the head in order to kill. Otherwise, we use a modified version of the random hit location table where you roll 1d20. Taking out a zombie's legs or arms can be helpful too. The traditional slow zombies will take 40 damage in total to destroy without destroying the head (severing the spinal column works too, or simply doing enough raw damage that the thing can't move any more). The fast zombies take a total of 50 damage to take down without targeting the head. There are other creatures than the zombies as well, in addition to some nasty (or simply foolish) humans.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Voodoo
Adept
Adept

Post by Voodoo »

Handy, Isn't RE still up on the PSN for download? I know Silent Hill 1 is up there and though I remebered seeing it as well.

Edit: Just checked and yes it is up for download if you have access to the psn. It is $9.99 for the directors cut edition
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Wow, that's good to know! I'd have to connect my PS3 to the Internet (I don't have a router yet, so I'll have to swap out my PC's connection). I heard Silent Hill 1 (which I also really want) is being remade. I haven't done anything with the PSN, as I typically keep my PC connected to the Internet and not the PS3.

Do the games for sale on the PSN ever go away, or can I wait to buy them? Does it tell you how long they'll stay up, or do they just disappear? Do they ever come back if they do?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Voodoo
Adept
Adept

Post by Voodoo »

I haven't seen any of them go away but then again I don't really pay to much attention. I have a feeling though that the RE and SH ones wont disappear anytime soon. As for the SH remake, that is truth though they are changing a lot of the elements specifically removing all combat in favor of evasion.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Thanks! I'll be sure to buy both of them eventually. I am planning to get a router soon, as Comcast is going to make router rental free (though they're increasing the price of renting the cable modem). I'm going to be away for two weeks in early November, and then I'll be moving in late November, so things will be a bit slow and I probably won't have much time until December.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by Tabs »

Mr. Handy wrote:Thanks! I'll be sure to buy both of them eventually.
I played Resident Evil again about 5 yrs ago on the Gamecube. If you can bear the clutter, I would recommend that you buy a cheap Gamecube off ebay and the game - it is worth it, IMO. And then buy RE4! (Which is probably on the PS3. It has been a few years since I last played a video game.)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I already have the PS2 version of RE4. I don't think there is a PS3 verrsion, as I've never seen one, but I have a backwards-compatible PS3 so I'll be able to play it. I know there's a Gamecube remake, but I think I'll just buy the original PS version on the PSN. There's a PC version of RE4, but the PS2 version has extra content (including part where you play as Ada Wong). I also have the PC versions of RE2 and 3, and PS2 versions of Code Veronica X, Outbreak 1 and 2, and Dead Aim. I haven't had time to play the PS2 games yet. I recently started playing Silent Hill 0rigins for the first time: I'm in the santiarium and just got the shotgun. I don't have RE5 yet, as I won't have time to play it for a long time so I might as well wait for the price to come down. That has both PS3 and PC versions.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

And back to the track of the RPG idea...

I need to gather as much material as I can to even think about running such a campaign. I found standard material such as map of Raccoon city, Umbrella co. stuff, several files for a D20 modern style that can easily be converted to Chaosium easy rules and the rest is for my imagination.
Any one got some good resources?
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Nope, I guess you got your hands on the stuff floating around in the void. That´s basically the d20 Umbrella files...
I guess the movies should have the bulk of intel, besides your own take on things.
Good luck, and looking forward to play!
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by kabukiman »

There is a version of RE1 for PC, (I bought in the box in a store several years ago), but it simply doesn't work in my computer. I remember that someone post once a version of RE for CoC, but I don't remember where is the site. I'l try to find it.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Maybe it simply isn't available in America, then. I had asked at a game store years ago if a PC version existed and was told by the clerk that it did not.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mi-Go Agent
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 6 months

Post by Mi-Go Agent »

There are the Resident Evil novels. They might have more/more easily accessible/ more easily applicable to RPG information compared to the movies.
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by kabukiman »

Just discovered that the material I saw were the Umbrella files for d20, sorry. :oops:
About RE1, my box was similar to this, but in black:
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

Yep, I got the D20 Umbrella files.
O.K, I will start to work, hopefully in the near future I will run something/

Return to “... I'm Thinking Of Running A Game”