Resident Evil

Please post here if you're trying to gauge interest in a NEW game, which you'd like to run on Play@YSDC
royya
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Re: Resident Evil

Post by royya »

"If we know there's no help, we'll all be that much more cautious and unwilling to engage the horrors"
MiGo - that is exactly what I want to achieve. I do not want the characters to feel heroes (Like character in AD&D games). The players should be on their toes, when they know that getting severely wounded (losing ¾ hp) means being infected.

Now, losing ¾ of HP is something that is known to the player. The character does not know this but a simple blood test can indicate if infection occurred.
Off course once a character is infected, the transformation is not immediate as Kabukiman stated. The transformation time will vary between characters and will be based on the Constitution score of the character.
Vaccines will be available – some will destroy the virus in the blood but will not give the resistance humanity if thriving to find. Some will be weak test vaccines that will not cure the infection but will slow the process down (Giving the player 24-48 hours more).

OK, I’m starting to build some house rules about that ... stay tuned.
I gathered plenty of resources and built some interesting stuff. (Took some from the horror PC game Penumbra: Overture and The black Plague)
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

OK, I asked Welsh to open a game thread for me.
You can start building your characters.

I want at least two players with the following guidelines:
1. A U.S Soldier or a policeman (RCPD – Raccoon city police department).
2. A low level or medium level worker of Umbrella Co. that do not have a knowledge of what is happening beside some workers gossips.

The others can be regular city people professionals, relatives that stood on the lines that led out of the city but now they found themselves together, barricaded in a local church.
House Rules,[b]Being infected:[/b] A character that loses more then ¾ of his HP is automatically infected by the T-virus or G-virus. Infection can be measured by a simple blood test that will find the virus in the blood. The original virus is not airborne and is not delivered by regular contact, fluids, etc... (Mutations are not yet known). We know that the Virus is delivered only by blood contact with an infected organism (Human, animal). [b]Resistance:[/b] No resistance (antibody) to the virus yet, all people are vulnerable. [b]Cure:[/b] Rumors tell about a possible vaccines that clears the blood from the virus. It does not give resistance, meaning, people can be infected from the virus again. [b]Other drugs:[/b] There are some drugs that delay the transformation of one who had been infected. Such a delay can be for 24-72 hours. It depends on the health of the infected. The role is based on constitution: The role is made immediately when infection occurs. 1d100 – score determine for how much time the drug delays the transformation. 24 hours: Con X 6 ; 36 hours: Con X 5 ; 48 hours: Con X 4 ; 60 hours: Con X 3 ; 72 hours: Con X 2 ; 84 hours: Con X 1 ; 96 hours: Con X ½. [b]Transformation:[/b] When transformation occur, the character is “dead” and NPCed by the DM. [b]Books allowed:[/b] Call of Cthulhu Rulebook v5.6 1990’s Handbook (#2355 Chaosium) – modern background for CoC. [b]Skills:[/b] “Cthulhu Mythos” is replaced with “Umbrella secrets”. “Occult” is replaced with “Telepathy”. Characters cannot be trained in these skills in the beginning of the game. Umbrella secrets skill is obtained during the adventure as the character learns new things. Telepathy skill is obtained when characters are being exposed to some unique drugs/materials/viruses and find the telepath powers burn in them. [b]Called shots:[/b] [i]An old man told me “I emptied a complete round on that bustar’ and he kep’ comin’ at me, if’nt for the soldia’, who nailed a well placed shot into the maniac’s head, I wouldn’t be tell’ng you that story son”[/i] The called shots rule only works on creatures with distinct features, which means you can’t make called shots on big tentacly blobs. Zombies are vulnerable in the head, a successful called shot deal critical damage. Making a called shot lowers the chance of hitting the creature by 10% for every 10 meter the target is away from the shooter (assuming the target is human sized). Bigger target (Horse size)– 10% for every 15 meter ; Smaller target (dog/cat size) 10% for every 5 meter. A called shot to the limbs obey the same rules as above, but slow the target (legs) or disarm them (hands).
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years

Post by kabukiman »

So I can't play my corporate man?
Voodoo
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 14 years 9 months

Post by Voodoo »

I got the Soldier covered and I believe Handy wanted to play a cop so there is 2 if no one else wants to play a soldier type.
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

Post by Dave Syrinx »

I´m getting ready to flesh out my Umbrella research scientist then.
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

Since Umbrella Co. owns 90% of the medical tools/computer/health care market, I will understand if everyone wants to have some kind of link to them, and it will be reasonable for such a connection to exist so here are my answers:
kabukiman wrote:So I can't play my corporate man?
You can play corporate business man, somehow you can be linked to the advertisement department, customer support or whatever you want. I'm not restricting anything, but I can decide about the amount of knowledge you will have and that I will give you in the beginning of the game.
Voodoo wrote:I got the Soldier covered and I believe Handy wanted to play a cop.
Great, please do not choose a private but at least someone who is connected to the chain of command. A sergeant of a minor young officer is fine.
As for Mr. Handy – a young cop is acceptable, someone who knows the city very well and knows where everything should be and who are the powers around. (Gangs and religious and political figures of power).
Syrinx wrote: I´m getting ready to flesh out my Umbrella research scientist then.
Great, so you cover that one. It will be a low level scientists, he is unfamiliar with the Hive (as everyone else). You can place him in one of the laboratories (Computer science, Chemistry or medical laboratories).
masonstone
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 14 years 7 months

Post by masonstone »

would I be too late in asking to join too?
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
In his house at R'lyeh dead Cthulhu waits dreaming.
Mi-Go Agent
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 7 months

Post by Mi-Go Agent »

Okay, I'll give up being mad scientist - I've already got a similar roll in another game on these forums. I have a few ideas I'm kicking around. Do you think Raccoon City would have a foreign embassy?
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

masonstone wrote:would I be too late in asking to join too?
Nope, welcome aboard. Consider that more players = more flesh to the zombies, more organisms to the virus :twisted:
Mi-Go wrote: I'll give up being mad scientist - I've already got a similar roll in another game on these forums. I have a few ideas I'm kicking around. Do you think Raccoon City would have a foreign embassy?
Yep, why not. You can a representative of a consular office of a foreign country. If you have something in mind that you consider secret just PM the idea and we'll discuss about that.

To ALL:
The thread is going to be opened soon. I need to build the topics over there, so be patient.
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

So ... what's up guys?
How the process of making characters goes?
Once you have the basic outlines and concept, I will modify (if needed) each of the characters with some background to for the story .
Mi-Go Agent
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 7 months

Post by Mi-Go Agent »

I'm going to make life easy on myself and have my character be a British ambassador. Lesotho might have been more fun, but I'm not that multicultural.

Work at the Raccoon City embassy isn't too intense. Helping British tourists, dealing with the occasional immigrant to the city, and the paperwork of life fill most of the time. As in any embassy, there is a bit of shady dealing and the occasional tense moment when some intelligence agency needs a little assistance, but my character puts up with these as the occasional annoyances that they are - he's not a moral crusader, he just doesn't like getting involved in that sort of thing, and fortunately it doesn't happen very often to him. He's going to be pretty skilled in Fast Talk, Persuade, and office skills like Library Use (so he's the man to go through that stash of Umbrella files we find), and he probably knows a few other languages. He's been living in this country so long that he knows it better than home.

I'm thinking that since this is Resident Evil, I should ruggedize him a little more - maybe give him a bad childhood or a hunting hobby so he has some combat skills. The only problem is that he should be hiding out in the embassy, behind the security guards, but mistakes happen - I'm thinking he choose the wrong moment to go to the store.
royya
Keeper
Keeper

Post by royya »

Here the link to the game thread:
http://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/viewforum.php?f=169
Please post your characters in the appropriate thread.
We can discuss OOC stuff over there before the game begins.
Thanks,

Roy

Return to “... I'm Thinking Of Running A Game”