The Thing - Call of Cthulhu style (1982 setting)

Please post here if you're trying to gauge interest in a NEW game, which you'd like to run on Play@YSDC
Casimir
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 14 years 8 months

The Thing - Call of Cthulhu style (1982 setting)

Post by Casimir »

I'm not sure if this will even get any bites of interest or not - but I figured I'd give it a shot.

I've been thinking of setting up a game based on the premise of the 1982 movie "The Thing". I would like to run it here, since this is pretty much a CoC dedicated forum, and I'd prefer to run the game using CoC rules.

Many years ago when I was just out of high school, a friend of mine and I came up with a scenario by which to create a game based on this premise. At the time we were unfamiliar with Call of Cthulhu, and we used TSR's Top Secret rules to facilitate it. While it was a success, we only had 2 players to playtest with, so the the full possibilities of the game were unrealized. Throughout the years I've heard of other methods by which this has been played out, but I'm not familiar with their results.

Essentially, the premise of the game would be "humans" against "the thing". The Thing's goal would be to eliminate by assimilation (or worst case scenario, death) all the humans in the camp. The goal of the humans would be to identify the Thing(s) and eliminate them.

However, the one way this game would differ from other "Thing" games I've seen in the past is that, if a the Thing attacks and assimilates a human player, that player is not "eliminated"... the player then continues to play - but as a Thing instead, with the motivations and goals of the Thing. Their primary goal would be to play off as if they are still human and not be detected as a Thing by the rest of the humans.

The time frame of the scenario would be immediately after the movie takes place, the fall of 1982. The setting - Antarctica.

The minimum number of players necessary to make the game work would be at least 8 players. There would be a total of 12 possible play positions, each as follows (in line with a US Antarctic Science Station circa 1982) :

Pilot (1)
Biologists (2, one Senior, one Assistant)
Medical Doctor (1)
Geologist (1)
Meteorologists (2, one Senior, one Assistant)
Mechanics (2, one Senior, one Assistant)
Outpost Manager (1)
Electronics Expert (1 - Radio Operator)
Animal Handler (1 - primarily dogs)

"Primary" positions could be cross trained - for example, one of the mechanics could be a pilot as well, one of the meteorologists know how to cook (and be the camp's main cook), etc. Additionally, for those familiar with the movie - the Thing would not necessarily have the same characteristics as in the movie itself. So, some of the tests they conduct may - or may not - work, as well as some of the creature's attacks may - or may not - be similar.

I don't know how well this will be received... but if anyone is interested, please indicate here. If enough people who can be active regularly show an interest, I'll get started on setting this up.
"Horror - the true horror that paralyzes the mind and sears it with nightmares, is never truly healed." - Call of Cthulhu : DcotE
"What is that? Is that a man in there... or something?" - Copper, The Thing
Voodoo
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 14 years 9 months

Re: The Thing - Call of Cthulhu style (1982 setting)

Post by Voodoo »

When were you planning to have this up and running? I ask because it sounds interesting but I have 4 other games starting soon and want to make sure I can devote it enough attention.
Casimir
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Casimir »

If enough people are interested in playing this, I would plan on getting started a couple weeks from finalizing the player base... but at this point I don't really even have a time frame. I'm just looking for interest.
"Horror - the true horror that paralyzes the mind and sears it with nightmares, is never truly healed." - Call of Cthulhu : DcotE
masonstone
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 14 years 7 months

Post by masonstone »

I might be interested in playing, I may have to see how the other games I'm involved in go but the idea sounds good fun to try
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
In his house at R'lyeh dead Cthulhu waits dreaming.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

I'm certainly interested in the concept. I'm in a lot of games, so I'm not sure if I'll have time for this one too, though most of them are dormant or very slow-moving. I'm also running two games of my own, and the big one is starting up again after a break between chapters, so that will cut into my time as well. I'll be going away for a couple of weeks in early November too.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Hrmm, semi-dormant keeper, here ;) . Would love to defreeze at the station down south. I have some in depth knowledge of the setting. (Played a StoryCrafter session of the Thing.)
I´d play a pilot, if I may.
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
nickedwards
Layman
Layman

Post by nickedwards »

i am interested. I would like to go for medical doctor.

Hey does everyone know by the way they are making a prequel to the original film (set in the norwegian station...)
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Well, as I read it - the new script fills in the blanks left by Carpenter. Thus it´s more of a remake of the -82 film. Guess the people handling a remake is looking through quite a lot of film clips cut from the film. Anyway, remake or prequel it´s in the future. No real facts yet as far as I can see.

As I read through the files on Outpost31 I saw this prelude cartoon: Norwegian base
On a second note, I saw The thing from another world, the other day. It would work as a neat scenario.

We´ll see what will come of it. Till then the adventure will unfold here at YSDC!
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
Mi-Go Agent
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 7 months

Post by Mi-Go Agent »

I've read Campbell's "Who Goes There", the story that The Thing is based on. I have a lot of other PbP commitments, but if you get this running I might join.
Midnightlight
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Midnightlight »

I'd like to play this, if I could be a mechanic. =D

If there's any movie out of John Carpenter's collect that I love, it's The Thing (And They Live!).
Casimir
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Casimir »

Yep, The Thing and They Live are my two favs as well.

Well, for now it looks as a no go. We need to have a large number of regular players or the game won't progress in the manner it needs to (we could get away with 6 maybe, but I'd prefer a minimum of 8). This isn't to say that I won't run this, but we need more players before we can really get started.
Voodoo
Adept
Adept

Post by Voodoo »

I could handle the Animal Handler when you decide to run this
gregghelmberger
Initiate
Initiate

Post by gregghelmberger »

Is this game still in the works? If so, I'd love to be in on it. I'm willing to play anything.
Casimir
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Casimir »

Sorry for the late reply gregghelmberger, but at this point is on hold until we can guarantee at least 8 players consistently.
Ceremony
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 14 years 4 months

Post by Ceremony »

Hi. I think this is a fantastic idea and I'm actually planning a Thing one-shot for my IRL group. I'd be down to play and even compare GM notes if you want. I'm using CotYS as a basis for the PVP element, since I think it was handled very well in that campaign.

Return to “... I'm Thinking Of Running A Game”