New 1920's game - starting soon!

Please post here if you're trying to gauge interest in a NEW game, which you'd like to run on Play@YSDC
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years 6 months

New 1920's game - starting soon!

Post by carnage_lee »

July 9th 1927

Sitting in your favourite chair you idly peruse the local paper delivered a few hours ago. Little grabs your interest until you spot a small advertisement offering a guaranteed encounter with the supernatural!
Experience the Supernatural!

Responsible persons of both intrepid and
open-minded nature are invited to join famed
New York spiritualist in a weekend of
observation, investigation and verification of a
haunted house in New England. Contact with
the spirit world is guaranteed. Not for the faint
of heart. No experience necessary.

Write Box G28 New York

$50 fee, inclusive of full catering and transport
to the site.

Click to view larger version of the advertisement.
Click to view larger version of the advertisement.

After a few moments thought, you decide to write for more information, after all it could be fun.

Crossing to your bureau you quickly take out your note paper and settle down to writing a reply...
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years 6 months

Re: New 1920's game - starting soon!

Post by carnage_lee »

If you want to take part please write a short reply to the advertisement (in character) below. I don't want character sheets or back stories at this moment - just a short 'letter' from your character in reply to the advertisement.

Characters accepted in the abortive 'The Fungi From Yuggoth' game are welcome - but you have to accept that this starting point is different; no ties to Paul LeMond will be accepted - this may mean a new character history. Anyway, same applies - write a response to the advert (in character) below.
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Post by zielonobrody »

After hearing his boss and his pals laugh at the advertisement over the poker table, Arthur hastily pocketed the paper after they were finished and ran home with it. He sat down at his desk in his tiny flat and started writing the reply.

Dear Mister.
I have been looking for an opportunity to contact my dead brother for two years now. He was the only thing I had and if this spiritualist you have there is capable of getting me into contact with him, just so I can find out he's alright or talk to him for a second I'm fully in, and will gladly help with any other activities that arise or are planned. I am a quiet and inquisitive individual currently working for a local trading company. I have extensive contacts in the field that can be used if needed. Please let me know beforehand when this venture will take place.
Sincerely,
Arthur Park

The handwriting isn't top notch, but this could be due to an excited and shaking hand...
"Let's eat dung, millions of flies can't be wrong." Valdemar Baldhead
royya
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Post by royya »

There is nothing like a good coffee with the morning paper. A pile of student’s paperwork and articles lay on the table. The paperwork should have been already checked and the articles should have been marked with notes and criticized.
Flipping the pages, the sharp eyes of Professor James Godwin catches a glimpse of something interesting.
Hmmm...
The Scientist thinks to himself
Another Charlatan...
He takes a piece of paper and writes

Dear Mr.

My name is James Godwin, a professor from the department of natural science in #name# University. One of my research fields is electromagnetism and nothing is more enjoyable then the explanations of paranormal phenomena by science. If I may, I would like to join, experience and give my own explanation to the supernatural you are talking about.
Please, consider this letter as a chance to explain how the world of science and of paranormal collides.

With best regards,

Prof. Godwin

The professor places the letter in an envelope, post it and place it for the secretary to send.
Sighing, he takes the first paperwork and begins to read.
"The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
kouchpotato
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 14 years 11 months

Post by kouchpotato »

Dear Sir,

I'm ecstatic about stumbling upon your advertisement, and would simply love to see such an event. This is just the sort of thing that would get my newest novel on the best seller's list! If you still have room, I would love to come and experience the wonders of the supernatural.

Eagerly waiting,

Simon Wells.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Post by Tabs »

Dear Sir,

A news clipping agency has brought your advertisement to my attention. The subject: observation etc. of a Haunted House is of supreme importance to me, because I seek the truth of our cosmos; and wish to explore all possible avenues.

Please accept a wire transfer of $50, and reserve a room for myself - I shall depart for New York immediately.

Yours faithfully

Algernon White-Copse
London Psychical Research Society
gregghelmberger
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 14 years 8 months

Post by gregghelmberger »

The letter comes on crisp beige stationery, silky and of a heavy bond. The handwriting is smooth and even and obviously that of a highly educated and refined man. It reads:

"Dear Sir or Madame,

"It was with the greatest of interest that I read your advertisement for psychical investigators. If you will permit me a brief introduction by way of presenting my bona fides, I shall say that my name is Jeremy Hawthorne, and that I possess a longstanding interest and some small experience in these matters. I was one of the investigators who resolved the hauntings on Wilmot Avenue in Columbia, South Carolina in 1915. In addition, I was honored to be the chief investigator of the group which settled the matter of the Reginald House haunting in Princeton, New Jersey in 1917, a case which, I believe, received some small and undeserved notice in psychical research journals.

"Although I have been absorbed in a number of other matters in the intervening years, my interest in the subject has never waned. Thus, when I saw your notice, it struck me as an excellent, or indeed Providential, opportunity.

"I am currently in residence at the Hotel Pennsylvania, 401 7th Avenue, Manhattan.

"As an aside, I can provide professional and personal references upon request.

"Yours &c.,

"Jeremy Hawthorne"

The signature was bold and firm.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,I'm not sure if you've still got room, or if you'll allow in my Haunting veteran, Radcliffe student [url=http://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/viewtopic.php?p=19694#p19694][b]Juliet Allan[/b][/url]. If it's not possible, no big deal. I'm in plenty of other games already.
Juliet thinks for a while after she reads the advertisement. The memories of what happened to her and her friends in the Corbitt House are still fresh in her mind even though it's been over a year, and they always will be. She still isn't sure exactly what happened or how much of it was real. Finally, she summons the courage to set pen to paper.

"Dear Sir or Madam,

I have read your advertisement and am interested in investigating this haunted house. Though I am young, I have experience in this area already. Last year I helped cleanse the notorious Corbitt House in Boston, Massachusetts. While I have been skeptical, my experience there has given me an open mind and has encouraged me to give this house a thorough examination. Please tell me who the famed spiritualist is that we will be joining, and if there is any danger involved. I am not afraid, but I would like to be prepared.

Sincerely,
Miss Juliet Allan"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep

Return to “... I'm Thinking Of Running A Game”