Arkham Horror board game pbp

Please post here if you're trying to gauge interest in a NEW game, which you'd like to run on Play@YSDC
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 3 months

Arkham Horror board game pbp

Post by Tabs »

Calling solo players.

A play by post game of Arkham Horror. You need to own the board game and follow the action on it. Also you will need to update threads with card text and any changes to your investigator status or the game universe, (e.g. -1 Sneak to all investigators in Arkham).

I will update the investigator turn order, e.g.:

Turn 1
Dexter Drake
Jenny Barnes
Joe Diamond
Turn 2
Jenny Barnes
Joe Diamond
Dexter Drake

...the Arkham Horror IC thread:

Turn 1 Phase I Upkeep for Dexter Drake
Turn 1 Phase I Upkeep for Jenny Barnes
Turn 1 Phase I Upkeep for Joe Diamond

Turn 1 Phase II Movement for Dexter Drake
etc.

Dice rolling will be on your honour!
Victimizer
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 15 years 6 months

Re: Arkham Horror board game pbp

Post by Victimizer »

Just as a small remark, a little while ago there were people over at the official Arkham Horror boards which were trying to get the same thing going after their old game was deleted with the old arkham horror boards. So you could probably easily get 2-4 players from over there if you needed players. Their old game was pretty fun to watch; they had one thread with the actual game action, describing what they did rules-wise and in-character (well, 3rd person narrative is what most used), and a second thread where they spoke about strategies and soforth.

Link to the forum:
http://new.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_ ... =5&efcid=1

Don't be confused by the subforums at the top of that page, the threads are just below them.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

I don't think we'll lack for players. I'm already on board, and I'm sure we can get one or two more here. We were discussing how it would work in the Lounge in this thread. From looking at the rules and what I've heard, four players would be ideal, though the game does support up to 8. I'm familiar with how the rules work in solo play, but I've never tried multiplayer before, so it'll take a little getting used to the differences. I'll also need to separate the Kingsport Horror expansion stuff from the Arkham Horror base game before we start. I've been trying each expansion by itself along with the base game before I try combining all of them at once. Yes, I'm that crazy. :?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Here is a link for Card and Monster Lists:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_ ... fidt=10390

Four players appears to be the popular number for this game so lets aim for that. We have two players so far: myself and Mr. Handy.

Thanks for the info., Victimizer, I shall check out the thread.
Victimizer
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 15 years 6 months

Post by Victimizer »

No problem. I'm fairly experienced with Arkham Horror and knowledgable in a few of the statistics that have been done with the game; four investigators is the ideal amount for getting an investigator victory (2, as well as 7-8 Investigators can get very difficult) - it is especially easy to accomplish if one plays without any of the expansions, so depending on what you'd like to accomplish in your game, this might be something you want/don't want.
Anyhoo, snooping around the Arkham Horror forums ought to be enough preparation for a successful play-by-post game. Good luck to ye!

@Mr. Handy
You're not crazy at all - I've heard alot of players do those sorts of things. There are advantages to single expansion play (effects of a single expansion tend to be slightly watered down once you add more of them together), though I personally don't prefer it.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I meant that I was crazy to want to play with all of the expansions at once! I'm just playing with each one individually first to get a feel for it and get the new rules down.

Playing with a single investigator is very hard, but I can win the base game 2/3 of the time that way. It's nearly impossible to seal six gates (though I have done it before) and even harder to get them all closed simultaneously (for obvious reasons). The Ancient One usually awakens, but that battle is easier with only one investigator. Unless it's Azathoth, in which case you've lost the game, of course. Once you get to 5 or more investigators, some rules come into play that make it harder than with 4. It's easier to seal or close enough gates with more investigators, but if the Ancient One ever awakens, watch out!
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Last year I played an Arkham Horror solo megathon, all the expansions and 6 investigators; it took me three days and I just lost to the Ancient One in the final battle (after closing five gates only). Was it fun? - No! Keeping track of everything was a huge brain strain, I almost gave up several times.

About this game, it will be the base set only, except:
Choice of any official investigator - there will be an Investigator thread to note their status.
Madness/Injury Cards (from Dunwich) - any player who does not have them can ask me to draw one.

The Ancient One will be drawn at random.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

That works. If a player doesn't want a Madness/Injury card, there's still also the option of going insane or getting knocked unconscious as normal. We can also randomly choose an investigator from our own sheets if we wish. Arkham Encounter decks are shuffled before drawing, so those can be drawn by any player. Likewise, so can monsters from the monster cup, since they don't need to maintain a particular order. Any monsters not on the board/taken as trophies/removed from the game will be mixed in the cup every time a draw is made. The Ally deck can also be drawn from by any player when a random Ally needs to be discarded, since that one isn't otherwise normally shuffled.

I wasn't planning on using that many investigators when playing with all the expansions. I just intend to use two, since it will still count as a single-player game when using both Dunwich and Kingsport. That should be more manageable.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years

Post by kabukiman »

I bought the game (base and dunwitch expansion). If you give me a couple of days (to read it), I would be glad to join you.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I'm sure that won't be a problem. There's a good chance Tabs won't be back until Monday anyway, and we've waited this long already. That makes three players, and while four would be better, I think we have enough to start with now.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

I had almost forgotten about this, but still want to play the game pbp; kabukiman: I am pleased you are going to play.
Now... I need to ask a moderator to set-up a game - you are one Mr. Handy aren't you? Once done I can create threads for the game?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Yes, I'll set up the forum. I just need a text description that will appear beneath the link to the forum on the home page (like you see for other games). You can post it here. We can start with three players when you're ready (I may need a little warning so I can separate out the Kingsport Horror components), or we can try to find at least one more. I'll probably put the forum under One-Shot Theater. Once the forum is set up, you'll be able to create threads as needed.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Um... how about:
Investigators set out to save Arkham by defeating an Ancient One who is attempting to break into this world through gates in other dimensions.

As for separating out components, monsters will require lists which can be found here:
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_ ... fidt=10390
And the expansion cards have various symbols, I think Kingsport's is a lighthouse light; personally I will draw another card if a symbol one crops up because every expansion I have is mixed together and it is a big job to separate out the components.

We will start when everyone is ready, kabukiman, Mr.Handy and myself.

***Just saw your post in "I'm Thinking etc." Are you nuts? :) ***
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Okay, the forum's all set up and you've been made Keeper for it. Now you can post whatever threads you need in order get things set up.

And, yes, I am nuts. I thought I mentioned that. :?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Link to forum:

Arkham Horror
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Arkham Horror & Dunwich Horror

'The fabric between dimensions is weakening, and portals to other worlds begin opening all over Arkham, unleashing strange creatures into the city. A band of crazed cultists attempts to summon Yog-Sothoth, putting all of humanity in danger. Psychic author Gloria Goldberg, renowned archaeologist Monterey Jack, and powerful magician Dexter Drake are all that stand in the way of total destruction of all we hold dear. Can they succeed in their desperate race against time?'
[sub]by Mr. Handy[/sub]
The result,Yes! -Yog-Sothoth was banished.

The first game of Arkham Horror was completed. However, the Dunwich Horror is hungry...

Investigators are called upon to once again save Arkham, volunteers are required:
Tabs
kabukiman
Mr. Handy
Carcossannoble (please confirm)
There are 4 spots remaining. Everything needed to play will be online, a Rules pdf is @ FantasyFlightGames.com; preferably any prospective player will have their own copy of the game.
Last edited by Tabs on Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Maybe you should put the outcome of the first game in a spoiler button, so that prospective readers don't know right away whether we won or lost.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “... I'm Thinking Of Running A Game”