Horror on the Orient Express... Players needed!

Please post here if you're trying to gauge interest in a NEW game, which you'd like to run on Play@YSDC
G-Returner
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 5 months

Horror on the Orient Express... Players needed!

Post by G-Returner »

I'd like to run a game of Horror on the Orient Express, the famous classic era campaign.

It is, in my opinion, the most exciting and fascinating of all the official Cthulhu campaigns, taking the investigators aboard the legendary train for an adventure full of mystery, intrigue, passion and... horror.

I have years of experience as a keeper and am ready to make this campaign an unforgettable gaming experience if enough players are interested. I expect players to keep a steady posting rhythm of roughly one post per day. This campaign is long and we will thus need to keep it steadily active in order to complete it. So if you don't feel you have enough free time to be able to post once per day most of the time, please let other people take the spot.

I'd like to have a team of 5-6 investigators. Most of them should be at least middle class, since the Orient Express was at the time the most luxurious train ever built, and lower class characters would have no business being on board. If someone doesn't know how to create a new character, I have plenty of pre-generated characters from the campaign book which I can assign you, although I would prefer brand new characters if you are able to make one.

Previous Call of Cthulhu experience isn't required, but be aware the success of this campaign relies in part on good role playing. So you need to be ready to immerse yourself into your character. If you get the chance to see it, I recommend the Sydney Lumet murder mystery film "Murder on the Orient Express", which will provide you with a good feel of what the Orient Express was like.

The game will start as soon as we have a team of investigators ready.

So, is anybody interested?
Drauga
Layman
Layman

Re: Horror on the Orient Express... Players needed!

Post by Drauga »

I'm interested. Let me think of a concept and get back with you.
G-Returner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by G-Returner »

Great! I also should mention that your characters will begin the adventure in London. They don't necessarily have to be English, but they will need some reason to be in London.
welsh
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 18 years 5 months

Post by welsh »

Hey G-REturner-

Just a heads up, but we actually had a Horror on the Orient Express game started, but sadly it died in Lausanne. It's in the graveyard. Can you access?
http://www.nma-fallout.com

One man's meat may very well be another man's person-
- Anonymous Cannibal
G-Returner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by G-Returner »

No I can't access it.

Browsing previous recruitment threads, I saw that someone wanted to try doing the campaign a few years ago and he seemed to have enough players, but I never did manage to find the campaign threads.

I would be interested in reading it.
Exarzun
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 15 years 8 months

Post by Exarzun »

Ooh, I'd be interested!

I had a charicter a while back that I really loved, unfortunately his game didn't do so well and I'd be delighted to revive him. Salik Olmar. Massive, scary-as-hell Turkish academic studying ancient religions and cults. Sound like he'd fit in?
G-Returner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by G-Returner »

Hey, glad to hear it. Sure, your character will fit in as long as he's capable of having good manners (it's mandatory if you want to board the Orient Express and not get expelled). I say this since you mentioned he's "scary as hell". But if he's only physically scary it's fine :)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

I think this might be the link you're looking for. It was called Terror on the Orient Express.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Exarzun
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Exarzun »

Oh yes. By scary I mean big, intimidating and ugly. He also is a bit leer-ey and has no sense of humor, but he's not going around biting people or anything. He is, after all, an academic!
G-Returner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by G-Returner »

Exarzun : Your character is fine :)

Mr. Handy : I get "You are not authorised to read this forum." I suppose only moderators can see the graveyard. Not sure why?
Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Raiko »

G-Returner wrote:Exarzun : Your character is fine :)

Mr. Handy : I get "You are not authorised to read this forum." I suppose only moderators can see the graveyard. Not sure why?
G-Returner wrote:G-Returner on
I think that Lee set up the graveyard so that only Keepers & Admins could view it.

As you're preparing a game, I've added you to the Keepers group a little earlier than normal. Try the link again, it should work now. :)

BTW: I was involved in the previous attempt at this campaign (I joined in the Paris chapter), playing Anthony Church. If and when you get as far as Lausanne, I'd be interested in joining in if there are any vacancies - we didn't actually achieve anything in Lausanne I don't think, the game stopped as we tried following up our first leads.
G-Returner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by G-Returner »

Thanks, Raiko. If the game does start, you'll be welcome to join when we get to Lausanne.

I still can't access the graveyard, perhaps it is set up so that only admins can see it then?
Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Raiko »

G-Returner wrote:Thanks, Raiko. If the game does start, you'll be welcome to join when we get to Lausanne.

I still can't access the graveyard, perhaps it is set up so that only admins can see it then?
I fixed that now I think.

I've added read-only access to the Graveyard for Keepers (or at least I think I have).

Give it one more try. :)
G-Returner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by G-Returner »

It's working now, thanks.
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years

Post by kabukiman »

Hi! Doi you still have one "slot" available? I was interested to play the campaign.
Exarzun
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Exarzun »

Its been a while since I played CoC so excuse me if I ask a stupid question, but char gen info?
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Character generation information is how the keeper like the players to go about when rolling up characters. NEAT! A graaveyarrd for dead games!! Coolish! Well there it goes! electrocute this train and head down to the mysteries of mind!
Have a nice game guys!
I might get on the train along the line....
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
Exarzun
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Exarzun »

No i know what char gen info, I'm asking what the details of char gen are for this game. It hasn't been THAT long :P
Howerd Phillips
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Howerd Phillips »

I'm very interested, I have a doctor based out of Boston, MA. I can be in London either on vacation, or for a conference to discuss the latest in surgical techniques...
G-Returner
Keeper
Keeper

Post by G-Returner »

Here's an update on the cast:

Drauga: you expressed interest but haven't logged on since then, please check back soon if you still want to be on board
Exarzun: you can submit your character
kabukiman: you can submit your character
Syrinx: I'm unsure from your message on what you want to do, do you want to join?
Howerd Phillips: submitted a character through PMs, just needs to complete a few tidbits

There is still room available.

In the next message I'm going to post a character sheet template for convenience.

Your characters already know and trust each other (at least to a certain extent) at the beginning of the scenario. The date will be January 1923. You will be in London and will attend a lecture given by Prof. Julius Smith, who is known by at least some of you as an old friend. He did not tell you the topic of the lecture, but has personally invited you. Your group may go to the lecture together or meet there by chance, it's up to you. You may be in London because you live there, or because you had business to attend there, or maybe just because of the lecture.

Return to “... I'm Thinking Of Running A Game”