...based around Dennis Detwiller's Insylum

Please post here if you're trying to gauge interest in a NEW game, which you'd like to run on Play@YSDC
yellowsigh
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 15 years 7 months

...based around Dennis Detwiller's Insylum

Post by yellowsigh »

I set up an Insylum site for a group of roleplay friends I was exploring the setting with - the site has been gathering a lot of dust, but should give people a feel for the game. I'm just wondering if I could breathe new life into it via a pbp game.

As I've explained on that site people interested in playing the game as a player (or Patient), shouldn't read too much. As far as you're concerned you've been locked away for something you did on the outside. You will take a little while to remember, prompted by individual or group 'counseling sessions' with the GM (or Facilitator) and by the Patients' experience with the surreal world that appears to them in the middle of the night, allowing them to leave their rooms, explore the dark world of their memories and nightmares, and maybe piece together what they did to get there. Assuming they don't get lost out there, or killed.

The game mechanics are pretty basic (you have three stats, Fatigue, Lucidity and Memory), so should translate well for pbp purposes. Character creation is simple. You are asked to write down your name, height, weight, apparent age and any distinguishing features. "First name and last initial please. Look in a mirror and jot down these facts about yourself. Try to be honest."

Patients 'win' by amassing enough Memory points to remember why you're there, and get yourself released.

For those with absolutely no clue about the game and its connection to Lovecraft and the Cthulhu Mythos I'll say it taps more into the Hastur Mythos, and the King in Yellow stories by Chambers, which went on to inspire Lovecraft. I can't say much more without ruining the details of the game. It's a story about piecing together lost memories, after all.

Any takers?

Simon
. . .y o u ' r e i n s y l u m t o r e m e m b e r . . .
• Mood Music •
yellowsigh
Initiate
Initiate

Re: ...based around Dennis Detwiller's Insylum

Post by yellowsigh »

Gah, pesky web site link fixed. It helps to put the full address in, doesn't it?
• Mood Music •
yellowsigh
Initiate
Initiate

Re: ...based around Dennis Detwiller's Insylum

Post by yellowsigh »

I'm working this setting up at the moment, already got one person signed up.

I'm suspecting this may go a little in the direction of Alice in Wonderland (albeit as interpreted by American McGee), since finding some great Alice source material online. That might be a selling point, it might not... :-)
• Mood Music •

Return to “... I'm Thinking Of Running A Game”