465 : 19.375 - Positions Still Open

Please post here if you're trying to gauge interest in a NEW game, which you'd like to run on Play@YSDC
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Re: 465 : 19.375

Post by kabukiman »

I know that i shouldn't... but can i join? I have the same problem that Mr Handy, i'm in too much games, but i can't resist playing a Kult game.
Steerpike
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Steerpike »

I'd like to play the postion of guide if thats ok, details to follow
Reclaimer
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 15 years 9 months

Post by Reclaimer »

I'd like to play. At first look, I'm leaning towards cameraman.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Laraqua »

Cool, Guide is taken by Steerpike.

Cameraman is cool - because it requires fewer specialized skills and because you can follow many life paths to reach it, you can have any kind of history you like.
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Reclaimer
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Reclaimer »

I think I will go with cameraman, can you give me the specifics?
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Well, for simplicity's sake, let's simply begin with your interrogation - I mean, job interview - at Ophidian, to get the job as cameraman for "Hidden Places". So that way you have the freedom to figure out where you've worked before, how you trained, etc. through the interview. Sound good? All you need is a personality, a history, and some stats. Normal Call of Cthulhu rules for character sheets.

"Hidden Places" is a hip new occult meets science documentary that introduces people into the rad world of the so-called paranormal and shows how the paranormal is simply the abnormal! The presenters are trendy science geeks with the know-how to bust the legends and myths of the world!!!

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

I'll play Daniel Carter. You'd better stat him for me, Laraqua. I feel a series of crappy character creation rolls coming on.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Convenient, you get to interrogate ... I mean interview ... Reclaimer's cameraman.

Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

For Mr. Handy...

3d6→ [2,5,5] = (12) - Str
3d6 → [5,5,2] = (12) - Con
3d6 → [5,5,6] = (16) - Pow
3d6 → [5,6,5] = (16) - Dex
3d6 → [1,5,3] = (9) - App
2d6+6 → [6,1,6] = (13) - Siz
2d6+6 → [4,5,6] = (15) - Int
3d6+3 → [4,6,4,3] = (17) - Edu

Now, I'd suggest swapping one of the other 3d6's for App. I'd highly suggest swapping Dex for it ... App will give you the edge when dealing with people and you can use it to make first impressions and butter people up. Just roll under App x 5 and others can't help but make the best logical impression of you - a cop who just arrested you won't release you but will treat you more nicely, be less rough, etc. Works on all genders - the halo effect isn't only for those who find you saucy. Very useful for a highly charismatic Media Advisor. The rest look good as they are.

FOR EVERYONE INCLUDING MR. HANDY: You are all going to be selected because you are the best of the best. Mr. Handy was lucky and I rolled a good set on the first go. For those who roll very badly, I will have the option to veto the rolls and ask you to do a re-roll. This doesn't guarantee you a good set of rolls like lucky Mr. Handy got ... it just means that if you have a sub-par set you wouldn't be allowed on the expedition anyhow. One or two sub-rolls is fine, but a whole set? PLUS after doing up the rolls you may portion out +3 attribute points amongst them - but this bonus may NOT exceed the normal cap (which for someone in their 20s, their Edu is capped at 21). You may be phenomenal, you aren't super-human.

Mr. Handy, I would suggest putting the +3 into Education. You are partially responsible for getting the expedition off the ground and will need the skills to be an expert organizer - a lot of skills is important.

Other Details: APP helps with first impressions - cushion the blow by making an APP x 5 roll.
CON will help you maintain speed, ignore fatigue and reduce the risks of sickness on the expedition.
STR will dictate your carrying capacity - important when you're carrying your life on your back. Be prepared to think on your feet if you let a low roll stay with STR. Those who want to carry extra equipment will need above average strength or enough Persuade to get a PhD student or other person carry your stuff.
POW, along with CON, will be used to compel yourself to keep moving, much like Willpower.

This survey expedition is meant to be kept small. So when the time comes, you won't be able to bring a retinue along with you.

Most Importantly:
Many of you may not be preparing to go on the expedition when the game begins. You may be drawn in due to other events. The question is more whether you can hack it or will completely fall behind ... this expedition will be a tough one. We will actually be starting in Berlin.

Optional: Also, please consider taking secrets, medical disabilities you may have to cover up, psychological derangements, infamy, youthful appearance (people think you look 16), mistaken identity, or other Flaws. You can take up to 3 so long as they make sense to your character.

For each Flaw you can take a Bonus: something like cat-napper (you need 8 hours of sleep per day but can break it up however you like), Light Sleeper, Bundle of Energy (only need 5 hours of sleep per day), Fame (alters how people treat you), Sexy (people find you erotic), Upright Citizen (people assume the best in you - he COULDN'T possibly have been involved in arson despite what people thought they saw), Eidetic Memory (both a flaw and a boon - remember everything, when failing sanity, make two sanity loss rolls and take the WORST one).

You don't HAVE to. This is just an option.

ESSENTIAL: If this seems overly complicated to read through, don't worry, just roll up your stats, submit them here, along with your character concept (if you have a history/flaws in mind, best to PM me). I'll guide you from there.

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Woohoo! 8-) I've never gotten 110 total stat points in character creation, so I'm glad I asked you to roll. I'll finish up character creation this weekend. I need sleep soon.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Use invisiblecastle so I can see the link, also...

I've prepared what you enter into invisiblecastle for ease.
3d6;3d6;3d6;3d6;3d6;2d6+6;2d6+6;3d6+3

Reclaimer
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Reclaimer »

Rolls:
Str-13
Con-8
Pow-10
Dex-9
App-9
Size-9
Int-17
Edu-16
I'd like to put all my bonus points in Con, bringing it to 11.

As far as concept goes, I was thinking maybe a wise guy with a smart mouth who doesn't really care if your opinion is different, except he'll hold it against you whenever possible.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Got some solid rolls there but it's not quite solid enough. If you had one other above average roll it'd be fine. At this point, you wouldn't make selection for this particular mission later on.

Try again! :D

Reclaimer
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Reclaimer »

Shazam!
Str-14
Con-12
Pow-10
Dex-12
App-9
Size-16
Int-18
Edu-11

I think I wanna swap Size with App. The Education is pretty bad, but I think I only have 9 less ability points than Mr.Handy.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

That's a mighty fine series of rolls. Okay, turning APP into SIZ ain't easy because they're based off very different rolls.

APP is 1,6,2. Remove the last dice (2) and add a +6 and you get 13 for SIZ
SIZ is 6,4,6. Remove the +6 and add a dice which is luckilyalso a 6!

You now have SIZ 13 and APP is still 16 (luckily - it could have gone much worse).

So Far:
Str-14
Con-12
Pow-10
Dex-12
App-16
Size-13
Int-18
Edu-11

Edu can be swapped with any of the other 3d6 stats - just subject 3 from Edu - it becomes 8 - and add 3 to the new Edu stat! So if you swapped Con out, you'd have Edu 15 and Con 8.

Tell me what you wanna do, stat-wise, and then add your plus 3.

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

You can also add your +3 to EDU to make it higher, and for every 10 years above the minimum age (EDU+6) you make your character, you get +1 EDU.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Yeah, true enough. He could swap a 3d6 around and/or use the bonus +3 everyone gets.

He has already applied the usual +3 to Edu, and he still got an overall 11, with 3,1,4,3.

Reclaimer
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Reclaimer »

Let's make that swap, and put the +3 in Con, making it only decrease by one point.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

FINAL STAT BLOCK
Str-14
Con-11
Pow-10
Dex-12
App-16
Size-13
Int-18
Edu-15

Return to “... I'm Thinking Of Running A Game”