The Resonance of History

Please post here if you're trying to gauge interest in a NEW game, which you'd like to run on Play@YSDC
thewordwasaphex
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 10 months

The Resonance of History

Post by thewordwasaphex »

I want to run a modern-setting game, set in rural Wales (UK).

I'll need 3-4 interested players, please note that as this is the UK -
NO FIREARMS ARE ALLOWED!!

Basically, a short summary of the plot is that the Investigators are contacted to investigate the mysterious events taking place in a small village called Pontrhydygroes (pronounced Pont-read-uh-groys) - lights in the sky, disappearances and an outbreak of odd and possibly paranormal activity (moving objects, ghost sightings and such). Locals are made up of borderline-racist, anti-change, old-welsh families, and ex-hippies who moved out here in the 1970's.
Journalists, amateur parapsychologists and the like would be ideal, as would professors or students from the nearby University of Aberystwyth (pronounced Ab-err-ust-with with a soft 'th' at the end). Basically, anyone who would be interested in these kinds of things.

Please let me know if your interested, and come up with a character you think would fit. I intend to use this as the start of a far-reaching series of campaigns set in Wales, but this one will be fairly short, so don't feel like you're commiting to months of play!

EDIT: Reading back over this, it seems a little bit vague:

Pontrhydygroes is a real place. It's a small village of maybe fifty buildings built in a natural hollow about 15 miles from the nearest larger population centre (the aforementioned Aberystwyth, which boasts a University and also the National Library of Wales). I grew up there, so I know the place and it's legends and history intimately. Pontrhydygroes has several rather unusual locations within spitting distance - a half-dozen long-abandoned Silver Lead mines, the ruins of Strata Florida abbey, a reputedly haunted mansion called Nant-y-groes (the 'Cross House' in English) and a long-gone hilltop fort locally known as King Arthur's Castle. It's an old village - the miners from the mines used to live there a long time ago.

The adventure is going to be interaction-heavy, rather than action-heavy, and one of the 'set-pieces' is something that REALLY DID HAPPEN TO ME during my time there. The feel I'm going for is one of intangible dread rather than shock value or GOO with flailing tentacles everywhere. We're talking DARK, people!

Hopefully I'll get some of you interested - if you like plot-heavy, roleplay-heavy games, I hope you'll like this. If you want to play something a bit more gung-ho (in which case why are you playing CoC anyway?) then you probably won't.

Despite being a first time Keeper, I've been a D&D Dungeon Master for 6 or 7 years, and have jumped ship mainly to get away from the munchkinism of that system. And because CoC is probably the best roleplaying system, and one of the best settings, I have ever seen.

This adventure, as stated, is a jump-off point for adventures in modern-day Britain. I want the players to form the foundations of a Ghost-hunting Society intially, and they can reasonably be expected to survive this adventure. I want the players to make Characters they care about, and if they want to take them further, are comfortable with in the long term.

Hopefully that explains my plans a little better! :D
MrFisk
Layman
Layman

Re: The Resonance of History

Post by MrFisk »

Hi. I'm interested in your game. I'm pretty new to the forums but I know CoC quite well. I've been looking for a UK based game and your sounds intriguing.
thewordwasaphex
Keeper
Keeper

Great! Make yourself a character (in whatever way shape or form you wish to - like I said, this ain't so much about action as narrative, but please no supermen!) and post it here, or PM it to me, and we can start 'tweaking'. :)

That's one already, just need two or three more...

[EDIT: Any questions at all, don't hesitate to ask.]
demonlampshade
Layman
Layman

Post by demonlampshade »

Ok, I'm here and looking to play

I'll send the char once it is done
thewordwasaphex
Keeper
Keeper

Great - PM him to me, and we'll work out background and so forth.
thewordwasaphex
Keeper
Keeper

Up to three players now, folks, so only one more place at the virtual table left! Anybody who's interested, post here or PM me.
Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Raiko »

I've created a new forum for your game: http://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/viewforum.php?f=107

Hope you all have a great time. :)
fulcilives2003
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by fulcilives2003 »

Still got a spot?
it sounds interesting
so says I "The amazing man wonder"

Return to “... I'm Thinking Of Running A Game”