Dark Fantasy/Stormbringer/Elric of Melnibone

Please post here if you're trying to gauge interest in a NEW game, which you'd like to run on Play@YSDC
OathinBlood
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 4 months

Dark Fantasy/Stormbringer/Elric of Melnibone

Post by OathinBlood »

Hey, I just wanted to throw out the idea of a fantasy game. Fantasy as in a swords-and-magic sort of thing, but no elves, dwarves, or halflings. Hell, probably no dragons even. It'd be more like Cthulhu: Dark Ages, in a foreign world.

Preferably, the setting would be of my own creation - a dark, dystopian fantasy world immersed in the Cthulhu Mythos. Sort of like Dreamlands meets Dungeons & Dragons, minus the kill-and-loot mentality and replaced with the investigate-and-survive nature of Call of Cthulhu.

If that doesn't attract enough interest, I wouldn't be totally against doing Michael Moorcock, and going the Elric! or Stormbringer way. I'm not familiar with the setting, and haven't read any of his books, but I do have a passing knowledge of the mythos there.

In any case, the rules would be Runequest, 4th edition. Runequest is the progenitor of the BRP rules, and therefore the father of the Call of Cthulhu rules. Still the same d100 skill roll - the only real difference is the combat system, which is a tad more complex, with the addition of strike ranks and hit locations. Combat in this system is realistic and deadly - instead of HP, each part of your body has it's own HP, and a single lucky hit could bring you down to your knees, no matter how powerful you may be. You still have to be as cautious of combat as you would be in Call of Cthulhu, with the added exception that you also have a sword or whatever you may choose.

In any case, it should be fun. I need an active player, able to post at least once every two days. I'd start with one player, but preferably I want three or so. I'm uncomfortable going over five.

So, let me know if there's any interest.
Malagate
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 17 years

Re: Dark Fantasy/Stormbringer/Elric of Melnibone

Post by Malagate »

I would play in such a game, but I only have Elric! and RQ III rulesets.

Return to “... I'm Thinking Of Running A Game”