Page 1 of 1

Early Halloween One-Shot

Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:08 pm
by Mephistophilis

The Old Barnaker House. Every kid has heard about it. Everybody has a different awful story about it. All of them agree it is a very bad place.

But here you are on Halloween Night, all because of that jerk Roger. He dared you and your friends to spend the night there. You couldn’t let him bully you.You will show him who is chicken! Everybody knows that there are no such things as ghosts. Everybody knows that, right?

So get your slingshot and your pocket knife. Grab some candy and ready your Rubik’s Cube. You and your friends are going to go face-to-face with the horrors of the Barnaker House.

Hopefully you will live to see the dawn.

The Barnaker House is waiting...

-----

The Dare is a 1980s set, classic Halloween-set one-shot updated for Call of Cthulhu 7th Edition using simplified Call of Kid-thulhu rules and pre-generated characters aged 10-13yrs old. It's suitable for novices and channels a 1980s vibe like Stranger Things (although we're more talking Stephen King's IT than the Goonies).

Any takers? Looking for four or so investigators.

Re: Early Halloween One-Shot

Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:23 pm
by Mr. Handy
I'm definitely interested, if there's room! I grew up in the 1980s.

Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:27 pm
by BoyBlunder78
I'm interested too also an 80's kid. Best ti.e to have been one😍

Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:31 pm
by Mephistophilis
BoyBlunder78 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:27 pm I'm interested too also an 80's kid. Best ti.e to have been one😍
If you survived!

Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:47 pm
by BoyBlunder78
That was half the fun.....invincible 80's!!!

Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:22 am
by LiviaBlue
I am also interested! Reminds me of one of my favorite boardgames, Betrayal at the House on the Hill.

Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:23 pm
by Mephistophilis
Great. I'll leave the advert up for a few more days then ask Mr Handy to set up a forum.

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:01 am
by kabukiman
I lived in the 80's so I'm interested too if there is still a room.

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:09 pm
by Mephistophilis
No problem. Looks like we've got four so far, probably room for up to two more. Maybe Mr Handy can set up the forum (The Dare with the above description) and we can crack on.

Do we have anyone who didn't grow up in the 80s (I did too)? Interestingly the original scenario (before it was rewritten for 7th edition) was set in the 70s. I wonder if the era of childhood nostalgia just advances with each generation.

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:25 pm
by BoyBlunder78
Probably, each decade would.be different regarding what kinda resources would be able to the players and keeper.

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:35 pm
by Mephistophilis
I suspect childhood might have been similar from the turn of the 20th century until the late 90s, bikes and sticks and so on. Mobile phones and the internet probably changed things.

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:15 pm
by BoyBlunder78
True, more aesthetically different, until dawn of W.W.W. and social media.

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:20 pm
by Mephistophilis
Aesthetically different but you were still forced to wear the unfashionable hand-me-downs and the cheap uncool clothes while the cool kids laughed at you.

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:37 pm
by BoyBlunder78
True, my school never had a uniform so I saw a lot of that. The social hierarchy never really changes.

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:21 pm
by Mephistophilis
At least they couldn't bully you on social media back then.

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:49 am
by Mr. Handy
The forum is here.

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:05 am
by kabukiman
I'm not american (I'm portuguese), so my experiences are a little different but all the parts of the bullying and stuff like that... are the same.

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:57 pm
by Mephistophilis
I'm not American either, but in the 80s we lapped up American entertainment over here.

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:59 pm
by Mephistophilis
Initial posts are live in the forum above. Thanks Mr Handy.

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:50 pm
by Mephistophilis
Everyone who posted an interest above has a place and there's scope for another.

Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:00 pm
by aine
Screams in on roller-skates- Am I too late?

Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:08 pm
by Mephistophilis
Nope but you'd better get a move on. Get over to the character creation thread ASAP.