Mare Balticum

Please post here if you're trying to gauge interest in a NEW game, which you'd like to run on Play@YSDC
ghill
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Mare Balticum

Post by ghill »

This is really about gauging interest for an idea I have.

[They] "transport beaver hides, the pelts of the black fox and swords from the farthest reaches of the Saqaliba to the Sea of Rum [i.e., the Black Sea]. The ruler of Rum [i.e., the Byzantine Empire] takes a tithe of them. If they wish, they go to the Tnys river [i.e., "Tanais", the Greek name of the Don River], Yitil [i.e., Itil, the ancient name of the Volga], or Tin [variously identified as Don or Seversky Donets], the River of the Saqaliba. They travel to Khamlij, the city of the Khazars whose ruler takes a tithe of them. Then they betake themselves to the Sea of Jurjan [Caspian Sea] and they alight on whichever of its shores they wish. ... Sometimes, they carry their goods from Jurjan by camel to Baghdad. Saqlab slaves translate for them. They claim that they are Christians and pay the jizya."

885-886, Ibn Khordadbeh writing about the Rus merchants who brought goods from Northern Europe and Northwestern Russia to Baghdad

The campaign would be about a group of Varangians (Eastern Slav/Arabic name for Vikings) whose leader has set up a trading post on the banks of the River Daugava thence to the Dnieper through Kiev, and after entering the Black Sea to Constantinople.

The campaign would be broken up into years, with a trading season (when the adventures happen) and the rest of the year (when Adventurers improve themselves) a bit like Pendragon. The game would be a long term open ended campaign but with players able to come and go and only committing to a single trading mission. Potentially, it would also work with multiple keepers.

The Game would use Cthulhu Dark Ages 1st Ed.

I'm not planning on starting immediately I would just like to gauge people's interest (as well as thoughts and ideas) and if there is enough interest I'll start putting a bit more effort into the idea.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: Mare Balticum

Post by Mr. Handy »

That sounds like an awesome setting and campaign structure! I'm definitely interested.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Post by Mister Ginge »

This sounds like a great concept. Please keep me in mind. I'd love to participate.
Cotton
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 2 months

Post by Cotton »

This sounds awesome! I'd definitely like to play in this.
Pastiche
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Post by Pastiche »

Intriguing! Colour me interested.
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Mr Handy could you set up a folder for me and I'll start using it to store background info and CHAR GEN details I need to start writing up some solid details for this.
Pastiche
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Post by Pastiche »

I have to say that meanwhile I've gotten a bit swamped by PbP's on other websites, so I'll probably won't have the bandwidth anymore to participate in this at the moment. Sorry...
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

The forum is here.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 7 months

Post by HelplessBystander »

I'm fine with either helping as an additional keeper/GM or to participate as a normal player.
My Call of Cthulhu Campaigns:
Dead Men Walking (Looking for new members)
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Post by Mister Ginge »

I'm still interested so just give me the nod when you're ready ;)
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

I'm slowly working on this guys. Trying to put some background info together so that the game flows a bit more smoothly and everything is there from the start.

It doesn't really matter if you can't necessarily make a given scenario. I'm expecting players to join and leave as their time permits, all I ask is when you do play that you commit to one year (game time) theoretically one scenario. Players who commit to long-term will benefit by developing their characters in the community, but equaly you could change characters every scenario if you wanted.
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Guys, if you've expressed an interest feel free to pop over to the character generation threads in the Mare Balticum forum and generate yourself a character. If I get my act together I'll be aiming to start sometime early in the new year.

This thread for details of CHAR GEN and what works and what doesn't

This one when your ready to roll up and add a character
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Guys, the kick-off date for this is likely to be 12th February if you have expressed an interest please go to the character thread and detail your character.

if you have already done your die rolls just update the post with the character details.

Thanks and good luck

Giles
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I probably won't have time until the weekend to finish creating my character.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 6 years 1 month

Post by Starspawn338 »

Greetings. I am a new member of the board and am interested in playing a game. Do you need more players? Also, what time commitment is required? I have played PbP games in the past, including CoC and they vary in terms of their required response times. I just want to make sure I have sufficient time to offer before I commit.
Test Roll,[dice]3d6[/dice]
Life is a tragedy to those who feel
Life is a comedy to those who think
Life is a fantasy to those who game
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Starspawn338 wrote:Greetings. I am a new member of the board and am interested in playing a game. Do you need more players? Also, what time commitment is required? I have played PbP games in the past, including CoC and they vary in terms of their required response times. I just want to make sure I have sufficient time to offer before I commit.
Greetings Starspawn, Ideally you can post every couple of days, but it is not a big deal if you can't. However, if frequency drops too much then focus slips to other players and if necessary I'll NPC your character.
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

If your interested in playing please go to the relevant thread and flesh out those die rolls. I will be starting next Monday.

Return to “... I'm Thinking Of Running A Game”