Mare Balticum

Please post here if you're trying to gauge interest in a NEW game, which you'd like to run on Play@YSDC

Mare Balticum

Postby ghill » Tue May 30, 2017 5:01 pm

This is really about gauging interest for an idea I have.

[They] "transport beaver hides, the pelts of the black fox and swords from the farthest reaches of the Saqaliba to the Sea of Rum [i.e., the Black Sea]. The ruler of Rum [i.e., the Byzantine Empire] takes a tithe of them. If they wish, they go to the Tnys river [i.e., "Tanais", the Greek name of the Don River], Yitil [i.e., Itil, the ancient name of the Volga], or Tin [variously identified as Don or Seversky Donets], the River of the Saqaliba. They travel to Khamlij, the city of the Khazars whose ruler takes a tithe of them. Then they betake themselves to the Sea of Jurjan [Caspian Sea] and they alight on whichever of its shores they wish. ... Sometimes, they carry their goods from Jurjan by camel to Baghdad. Saqlab slaves translate for them. They claim that they are Christians and pay the jizya."

885-886, Ibn Khordadbeh writing about the Rus merchants who brought goods from Northern Europe and Northwestern Russia to Baghdad

The campaign would be about a group of Varangians (Eastern Slav/Arabic name for Vikings) whose leader has set up a trading post on the banks of the River Daugava thence to the Dnieper through Kiev, and after entering the Black Sea to Constantinople.

The campaign would be broken up into years, with a trading season (when the adventures happen) and the rest of the year (when Adventurers improve themselves) a bit like Pendragon. The game would be a long term open ended campaign but with players able to come and go and only committing to a single trading mission. Potentially, it would also work with multiple keepers.

The Game would use Cthulhu Dark Ages 1st Ed.

I'm not planning on starting immediately I would just like to gauge people's interest (as well as thoughts and ideas) and if there is enough interest I'll start putting a bit more effort into the idea.
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Re: Mare Balticum

Postby Mr. Handy » Wed May 31, 2017 4:46 am

That sounds like an awesome setting and campaign structure! I'm definitely interested.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby Mister Ginge » Wed May 31, 2017 12:39 pm

This sounds like a great concept. Please keep me in mind. I'd love to participate.
Mister Ginge
Acolyte
Acolyte

Postby Cotton » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:00 am

This sounds awesome! I'd definitely like to play in this.
Cotton
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Pastiche » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:36 pm

Intriguing! Colour me interested.
Pastiche
Acolyte
Acolyte

Postby ghill » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:11 pm

Mr Handy could you set up a folder for me and I'll start using it to store background info and CHAR GEN details I need to start writing up some solid details for this.
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Postby Pastiche » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:39 pm

I have to say that meanwhile I've gotten a bit swamped by PbP's on other websites, so I'll probably won't have the bandwidth anymore to participate in this at the moment. Sorry...
Pastiche
Acolyte
Acolyte

Postby Mr. Handy » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:10 am

The forum is here.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Postby HelplessBystander » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:36 pm

I'm fine with either helping as an additional keeper/GM or to participate as a normal player.
My Call of Cthulhu Campaigns:
Dead Men Walking (Looking for new members)
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

Return to ... I'm Thinking Of Running A Game